PDA

View Full Version : closed bridges versus open bridges

fongpang
10-26-2003, 12:05 AM
well...im doing a 15 page brochure trying to promote pool in american culture and i myself am an avid pool player. personally i change between a closed and open bridge depending on the shot but most of the time i use a closed bridge. MY Question is, "Whats better, closed or open?" I think that when you use a closed bridge and a good stroke, english is a lot easier to execute but open bridges provide superb top spin...what does everybody think???

tateuts
10-26-2003, 12:35 AM
There was just a discussion on this subject recently - here's the thread:

Bridge Thread (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ccb&Number=105391&Forum=cc b&Words=open%20bridge&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Search page=0&Limit=25&Old=1month&Main=105391&Search=true #Post105391)

Chris

Rod
10-26-2003, 02:19 AM
Aw, it is individual don't dwell on the issue. I'll just say one thing, well maybe two. A snug closed bridge may help with accuracy using extreme englsh. An open bridge may help with aim on long cut shots. See there, I'm just saying my preference. I think there are reasons to use either but everyone does not agree. Another beer, well it won't help with much of anything! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod

Brent
10-26-2003, 09:17 AM
I also like the closed bridge on short and powerful shots with a lot of english and draw. My aim with a closed bridge on long shots is really bad because Im used to seeing the whole shaft when I aim long cuts and things.

JimS
10-27-2003, 08:30 AM
The pro from whom I first took lessons insisted I use the closed bridge whenever the shot called for a hard hit....i.e. using draw or force-follow in particular. The rest of the time he wanted me to use an open bridge so I could aim better.

All that made sense to me and that's what I do. I also use a closed bridge in some postions where it is physically uncomfortable or impossible for me to use the open bridge. For instance, I'm left handed and when the cue ball is close to the rail on the right side then I can't use an open bridge and will opt for the closed bridge.

Closed bridge for stability. Open bridge for improved aim. Personal preference is the rule.

JimS

Fred Agnir
10-27-2003, 08:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote fongpang:</font><hr> well...im doing a 15 page brochure trying to promote pool in american culture and i myself am an avid pool player. personally i change between a closed and open bridge depending on the shot but most of the time i use a closed bridge. MY Question is, "Whats better, closed or open?" I think that when you use a closed bridge and a good stroke, english is a lot easier to execute but open bridges provide superb top spin...what does everybody think??? <hr /></blockquote> I think for American Pool, it is important to have full confidence in both an open and a closed bridge. As well as a jacked up over a ball bridge, a frozen to the cushion rail bridge, a close but not frozen to the cushion rail bridge, close and parallel to the rail bridge, a fist bridge, a draw bridge, a finger tuck, a raised finger tuck palm off the deck, ...

Hope that helped,

Fred