PDA

View Full Version : Jacoby cues, how do they hit?

Peglegusus
10-26-2003, 03:03 PM
Can anyone give me some info on Jacoby cues? I am looking to get a custom cue and I like the look of most of the Jacoby cues. How do they hit compared to a Schon? a Meucci red dot?
Those are the two cues I am most familar with at the moment.

Rod
10-26-2003, 03:30 PM
I'll be all ears listening to replys on this one. Since shaft size, taper and what tip used make up the most difference. Not only that but your using someone elses senses for an explanation, that's really subjective.

Good luck, I hope someone gives you something that is useful.

Rod

Ralph S.
10-26-2003, 11:53 PM
I purchased a Jacoby last January and have been very pleased with it. Great hit, solid feel. I just had to turn the shaft down some to 12.75 because of arthritis in my hands. Just cant play with a 13mm.

I however am awaiting completion of my Blackheart cue. I have heard they are nothing short of fantastic and also reasonably priced.

griffith_d
10-27-2003, 06:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr>
I however am awaiting completion of my Blackheart cue. I have heard they are nothing short of fantastic and also reasonably priced. <hr /></blockquote>

I got my Blackheart two weeks ago. This hit is very solid. I have never had a cue with the steel pin screwing into wood. The joint has a very tight fit and once together,...it will not tighten up any more as some joints do. It might loosen later.

The finish on it is superb,..I got a solid Cocobolo forearm and butt and stained black handle with no wrap. It shoots very accurate, very predictable. Jerry makes fines cues. I would recommend them to anyone.

This one is a keeper, as I have sold my Meucci and Pred BK to keep my playing present cues.

Here is some of Jerry's work. Go to my website and click on Blackheart Cues.

Griff

Peglegusus
10-27-2003, 09:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr>
I however am awaiting completion of my Blackheart cue. I have heard they are nothing short of fantastic and also reasonably priced. <hr /></blockquote>

I got my Blackheart two weeks ago. This hit is very solid. I have never had a cue with the steel pin screwing into wood. The joint has a very tight fit and once together,...it will not tighten up any more as some joints do. It might loosen later.

The finish on it is superb,..I got a solid Cocobolo forearm and butt and stained black handle with no wrap. It shoots very accurate, very predictable. Jerry makes fines cues. I would recommend them to anyone.

This one is a keeper, as I have sold my Meucci and Pred BK to keep my playing present cues.

Here is some of Jerry's work.

Griff <hr /></blockquote>
I've always wondered about a those joints with the screw going into wood, doesn't it wear out after a while? I've always shied away from them because I was worried they would strip out.

Peglegusus
10-27-2003, 09:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I'll be all ears listening to replys on this one. Since shaft size, taper and what tip used make up the most difference. Not only that but your using someone elses senses for an explanation, that's really subjective.

Good luck, I hope someone gives you something that is useful.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>
Yeah, I know what you mean, I realize what I am asking is very subjective, but I have to start somewhere. Hopefully I'll get enough info to let me know if I want to pursue this cue further. I hoped by listing a couple of cues for comparison would help, I play a Hercules tip on the Meucci and a Moori med. on the Schon, btw.

Ralph S.
10-27-2003, 10:23 AM
Peglegusus, as far as I am concerned, my Jacoby plays just as good as a Schon and looks just as good too. If I had some pics and scanner, I would put them up. This particular cue gets quite a few looks and questions. That is how well it was crafted. Meucci doesnt even come close in my opinion.

So you know, I have played with both a Schon and Meucci.

cycopath
10-27-2003, 02:00 PM
I normally play with a 19.3oz Schon with a 12.5mm pro taper. But I also own a 19.7oz Jacoby with a constant taper, like a house cue, that goes down to 12.5mm. The Jacoby hits pretty solid, it seems to me I get a bit more feedback with the Jacoby rather than the Schon. But I prefer the solid almost dead hit of my Schon. My dad has a very nice Richard Black that hits like you are stroking a piece of 4 x 4 wood. Completely solid dead hit hit, no feedback at all. I love it.

You can't go wrong with a Jacoby really, they are excellent cues and the company has the best customer service.

Peglegusus
10-27-2003, 02:44 PM
Thanks for all your replies, you guys are really helpful.
Ralph, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.
Cycopath, is that the regular Jacoby shaft? I'm not real big on non tapered shafts.

cycopath
10-27-2003, 03:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Peglegusus:</font><hr>Cycopath, is that the regular Jacoby shaft? I'm not real big on non tapered shafts. <hr /></blockquote>No, the standard taper is a 10"-12" pro taper I think. There was a breakdown in communication when i sent my shaft back to Jacoby for the shaft diameter reduction, as I forgot to specify I wanted 12.5mm when I ordered it.

path836
10-29-2003, 12:49 PM
I'm playing with a Jacoby. I have 2 Shons, 2 Vikings, a Pechauer, and a Mcdermott. The Jacoby feels the best to me but that is subjective. I think it would be hard to find anybody that gives better customer service than Jacoby and there workmanship is top notch.

PatH