PDA

View Full Version : Frustration...

Dalesa7xchamp
10-26-2003, 06:09 PM
I just Started playing seriously about 3 months ago, and im getting pretty good at reading my shots and such. The biggest problem i have is i get very frustrated when i miss and/or "the balls are just rolling right for the other person".

For Example i was playing my friend, and i am a far better player than he... the first rack i run the table and jaw the 9. he of course makes it, he then breaks leaves the 9 right near the corner and snookers me on the 1. I kick at the 1, miss he gets ball and hand and hits an easy combo.

Next rack i have a relivatly good chance at running out.. and i miss an "automatic" shot because of my frustration, but then beacuse i miss, i become more frustrated.

Just curious if you can give me some advice so i dont get frustrated or how to calm down if i do???

Thanks alot.... Mike

stick8
10-26-2003, 06:37 PM
Hello mike: sounds to me like your friend is not beating you, you are beating yourself!!! you are not finishing up!! think finish up, finish up.and no shot is automatic. 100% on every shot make the shots, and your frustrations will go away. good luck STICK

Allan
10-26-2003, 07:00 PM
I started playing less that a year ago and miss a ton of shots....

This may sound overly simplistic but I just concentrate on the next ball I have to make. There is nothing I can do to change what I've already done. If I miss I try and review what happened to see if I can learn by correcting some sort of error I had in that shot. The last thing I want to do is get emotionally involved with previous shot, good or bad, to the point where I can't concentrate on what my task at hand now is. It's just a matter of staying focused on what my objective is and trying to leave results of what already happened in the past.

Another way to think about this is that you have a huge edge over your friend when you play your A game. If you are gonna let one missed shot that enables him to win one game affect you to the point where that edge is now very slim if there at all and you are then at your C or D game then maybe you really aren't "a far better player than he".........stay on your A game, stay in the moment, concentrate on your task at hand and not past results and you will always be the better player...(until he gets sick of losing and starts practicing his arse off....)

I hope this somehow makes sense and helps a little,

Allan

Ralph S.
10-26-2003, 11:48 PM
You will learn over time that lots of rolls go like that in 9 ball. Just stay focused and concentrate on the pre-shot routine every shot before you let whitey loose.

CarolNYC
10-27-2003, 04:26 AM
Hi,
Dont think about the past or the future (missing,running out or the win)-think about the "here and now" which is making "the shot"-stay in the present!I know its easier said than done!
Also, I dont know what the layout of the table was on the snookered one-ball with 9 hanging in pocket, but,if you cannot kick at that one ball and be 100% sure your gonna hit it, then pocket that 9-ball or roll a ball in the path of the 1-9 combo-
At least let them work for it!
Good luck!
Carol

bluewolf
10-27-2003, 05:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Dalesa7xchamp:</font><hr>
Next rack i have a relivatly good chance at running out.. and i miss an "automatic" shot because of my frustration, but then beacuse i miss, i become more frustrated.

Thanks alot.... Mike <hr /></blockquote>

I would have been your friend. In a match I played yesterday, two of the games I won were after my opponent choked the nine,leaving me easy on it. Not only that, but when I had time to look around at other players, I saw many get so frustrated when they missed a shot. It just seems that some of them lost, even though they were good at pool basics, because they crumpled mentally.

jmo Laura

Chris Cass
10-27-2003, 06:40 AM
Yo D,

Jonny K. and I were talking about this senerio the other day. Imagine there were three rooms at a tourney. One room, for your opponent and one room for you. The third room there was a pool table. The only time you entered the room with the table, was to shoot.

So, you don't know who your opponent was and no sharking is done what so ever. It's just you and the table. Who would you play? The table of course.

Jon said, "after the match you met your opponent and say, Hey, I knew that was you Busty, when you came up dry all 9 balls were up table." hahahaha We laughed hard on that one.

Now, frustration is and will be part of the game. Who ever handles it better will overcome all odds. Try asking yourself. What, makes me a better player than my opponent? That will give you the answer and the way to win.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
10-27-2003, 09:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Dalesa7xchamp:</font><hr> he then breaks leaves the 9 right near the corner and snookers me on the 1. I kick at the 1, miss he gets ball and hand and hits an easy combo.

<hr /></blockquote>

Why didn't you push out?

As far as frustration goes, I'm bad at this one. Remember, Pool is fun. If you're having fun you can't be frustrated.

Kato~~~~frustrated.

CarolNYC
10-27-2003, 10:09 AM
Im assuming he kicked cause of a "no push-out" rule-ya know how everyone has their own rules!
And then again, you know what happens when you "assume!"
Carol~thinks Kato is such a cutey!:):) /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kato
10-27-2003, 10:35 AM
Oh, "The No Pushout Rule" Fire at will, ride everything. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~thinks spikey purple hair is sexy /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Vicki
10-27-2003, 11:22 AM
Sounds to me like you're not having too much fun. Remember, you've only been playing "seriously" for about 3 months. Maybe stop trying to play "seriously" and start playing to learn. You can learn more from your mistakes than from running out (and I don't just mean in pool). Try not to expect to play like Earl. Expect to have a great time and learn more about playing pool.

For what it's worth... It works for me. I have been playing for 15 years but I only play once a week. If I am having fun I play better. I'm not ever going to be a world champion but I play better than you'd think for playing so infreequently.

Hope it helps. Good luck,

Vicki

#### leonard
10-27-2003, 12:15 PM
Here is my take on luck, the better player always gets the better rolls. When the role changes then it is your turn to get the breaks.

Paul_Mon
10-27-2003, 01:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Dalesa7xchamp:</font><hr> I just Started playing seriously about 3 months ago, and im getting pretty good at reading my shots and such. The biggest problem i have is i get very frustrated when i miss and/or "the balls are just rolling right for the other person".

For Example i was playing my friend, and i am a far better player than he... the first rack i run the table and jaw the 9. he of course makes it, he then breaks leaves the 9 right near the corner and snookers me on the 1. I kick at the 1, miss he gets ball and hand and hits an easy combo.

Just curious if you can give me some advice so i dont get frustrated or how to calm down if i do???

Thanks alot.... Mike <hr /></blockquote>

The two scenarios you've described above have happened and will continue to happen to all of us. Hopefully you'll get better and stop jawing the 9 ball after running the first eight balls. Whenever I get lucky or have something unlucky happen to me in 9 ball I disregard it because 9 ball truly is a game of luck. If you want to minimize the luck factor then play other games, ie. 14.1, 1 pocket, 8 ball (no slop). Laugh off the bad rolls and capitalize the good rolls but don't let either become something that you dwell on.

Paul Mon

"The more I practice the luckier I get"

Jack Nicklaus

Scott Lee
10-27-2003, 05:28 PM
Reading the shots is only part of the program. You first must develop the ability to "trust in your stroke". This means you can stroke through the CB, soft, medium or hard, and have no side effects, other than exactly what you expect (i.e.: putting english on the CB when you THOUGHT you hit centerball, or jacking up when it is not necessary). I find that many new players (and frequently long time players too) are not able to stroke the CB consistently, even 2 or 3 times in a row...let alone 10x or more, or like a pro, nearly EVERY time. A good player understands the necessity of a good preshot routine, and sticks to it regardless of the shot situation, or the pressure of the game. Reasonably perfect fundamentals are what develop this ability to 'trust in your stroke'! You might want to have your stroke checked by a qualified instructor. Small inconsistencies in the way you move the cuestick through the CB can have dramatic negative effects on the outcome.

The other part of your frustration is in thinking you shouldn't miss. You're right, but the truth is that even the pros miss those "easy" shots...just not as often! The real factor is how you deal with missing. You seem to be letting your emotions get the best of you. RELAX Realize that everybody misses, and it is no big deal. Let go of it, and come back to the table with a "fresh start" mindset, instead of focusing on the mistake you just made.
Like the others told you...HAVE fun. If you're always getting down on yourself, you'll never develop the "fun" side of playing pool. Hope this helps! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee

Dalesa7xchamp
10-27-2003, 09:18 PM
Hey thanks alot for the replies guys, I tried some of your advice tonite, and it seemed to help. I know i have a long way to go, and my stroke definatly needs to be more consistent. Im definatly trying to play my own game and not worry about mistakes i made, or the the "luck" of the other person. I try now just to take it all in stride.

Once again thanks for helping me out... i know i have alot yet to learn

Mike

Ohh and about the push, we normally dont play like that.. but if I get snookered too many more times we might have to /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

phil in sofla
10-28-2003, 04:51 PM
Games of pool have little ins and outs of correct strategy, in addition to sheer pocketing of balls. Often the player who pockets less well than an opponent may still win because of knowledge of how to play the game's strategy properly.

Particularly if a shot is 'do or die,' meaning if you miss, you've likely sold the rack to the opponent, you must consider whether you feel the odds of making the shot justify the risk of losing the game or match, and always consider an alternative in safety play. This is a hard one, because intentionally not making a ball is still a shot, but probably one that a newer player may not know or have played before, and a bad safety attempt may sell the rack as much as trying but failing to pocket the ball (or hit the kick, whatever).

So knowledge and EXPERIENCE in hitting safety shots, or tying up balls, is a necessity in playing these kinds of strategies. However, once you gain that, you can stop 'losing' games, and instead make your opponent win them, from hard positions. It's like a batter in baseball who refuses to strike out, using discipline at the plate, and not free swinging. You don't have to make the tough shots, if you can force your opponent to make them. Hidden bonus-- you may be able to use this on opponents for a long time, since they are likely going to take a flyer on the hard shot you leave them, because they don't know what you do.