PDA

View Full Version : Pool Lingo

UTAddb
10-26-2003, 07:05 PM
Just curious what exactly these mean- taking the hot seat, getting the 8 out, wild 8, call 8. thanks

9 Ball Girl
10-26-2003, 07:52 PM
Taking The Hot Seat - when you go undefeated into the finals

Getting The 8 Out - when you're giving a spot to someone. in this case you're giving your opponent the 8 ball to win in 9 ball. you have to clarify in the beginning if it's a Wild 8 or if it has to be called

Wild 8 - if you're spotting your opponent the 8 ball, the opponent doesn't have to call a pocket for the 8 ball to win. wherever it drops, it's a win

Call 8 - the 8 ball has to be called into the pocket that it's intended to drop in before shooting it

Wendy~~~I think I got them right /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

UTAddb
10-26-2003, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the clarification- when you get the wild 8, call 8, or 8 out etc., you can still combo or carom the 8 in for a win or do you have to run it out?

9 Ball Girl
10-26-2003, 08:03 PM
I believe that if you're trying to carom or combo the 8 ball in a called 8 or 8 out situation, you have to let your opponent know that you're going to shoot the 8 ball into whatever pocket.

For the wild 8, I'm not too sure, but I think you can carom/combo without specifying. I think.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

grimel
10-26-2003, 08:40 PM
called 8 is just that, call the 8 on your shot and make it to win otherwise it gets spotted.

L.S. Dennis
10-26-2003, 10:58 PM
There's also what is known as 'the safe 8 in which if you make the 8 you can't lose regarless if your opponent makes the 9 or not. For instance if you got the 7 safe, and 8 safe, if you got either one of those two balls you could not lose the game and win if you make the nine. Your opponent would have to make all three of those ball 9 ball included not to lose in that rack.

Ralph S.
10-26-2003, 11:38 PM
You got em right Wendy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif The "safe 8" however is a new one to me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif