PDA

View Full Version : Tournaments and stamina (long)

bluewolf
10-27-2003, 05:40 AM
I always admired people who could play in these tournaments that went for hours and still maintain their composure and strength. I also always questioned my stamina to do what they do.Except for some short little local tournaments, my only experience was APA, where I only had to play one match a night.After playing in the women's falcon tour yesterday, I admire those of you who play in these tournaments even more.

I played in what I thought was a small tournament thinking it would be over pretty quick.Then in the players meeting when they announced it would be over at 10pm, I just about croaked.

In my first match against a superb player, the match was over pretty quick. She had been an apa 7 and was very good as well as being a superbly nice lady.

After waiting an hour, in the second match, while the other person was a better shooter and also nice,as the match progressed, I became so physically fatigued I could barely stand up to shoot. I did win some games and she won the match, it was my fatigue that was so much of a factor also.During that match,after about three games, I found myself thinking 'oh god, if I have to play another match, I will collapse'. Since this was my first tournament, I always figured I would automatically get creamed for a few tournaments, and it never occurred to me that I might not lose. I was not expecting to win, just to go for the experience and to learn how to play 9 ball. So when it was hill hill, I was already just about falling down physically. Maybe that match involved a lot of mental too, but I know that lots of my fatigue was physical.

I even wondered if age was a factor. Most of the players are so much younger, I wondered if this tournament stuff is for young people. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Last night I planned to not play in any more of these because I thought when I got better, I would have to play more matches and go belly up in tiredness. This morning I decided to post here and see if you tournament people had any ideas.

I wonder if there are some ways that those of you who play in tournaments have of not getting so physically tired or is this just something that gets better with experience.

I especially wonder if there is a way during the wait times to reenergize.

This was so totally out of my experience level, I just wonder what you guys do to keep going when you are winning.

Laura

Popcorn
10-27-2003, 08:58 AM
You should be able to play a 60 minute match if you are in normal physical condition. You may want to try to figure out how eating before a match effects you. Some players like to eat and some don't. I like to eat a little before a match and I drink diluted orange juice or grapefruit juice when I play. I would never drink alcohol or soda and coffee with caffeine. Don't get dehydrated, it will happen and you won't even know it. When you play a gambling match it is common to play 10 or 20 hours. The difference is though, you can pick times when you can coast and times when you press to win. In a tournament you can't do that. You have to be 100% right out of the box and stay at that level for the duration of the match, to really have a chance to win. It can be tough if you don't feel 100 %. You have to play like this in practice a little. Play at least one match with someone during part of a practice session. you have to be able to play at least an hour at 100 %, ( average match duration) or you can't win a tournament. You will win a match here and there, but it is just a matter of time before someone will knock you off. If you are 100% you may get by players in tournaments that actually play better then you. You get them stuck before they realize it and you may finish them off. Even a top player may play a weak match you can take advantage of. Tournament play can be more physically demanding then it may appear, at least if you are there to win. I would defiantly look in to your nutrition though, it can be a long day and you have to be up to it. Even though you will see good players doing it, I would not be drinking alcohol or caffeine at least a day before the tournament, It would be better if didn't have it at all, but that is another subject. There is a good book called 'Eat to win" by Robert Haas that discusses a lot of this stuff.

JPB
10-27-2003, 09:42 AM
"Except for some short little local tournaments, my only experience was APA, where I only had to play one match a night"

See a problem here?

What are your practice sessions like?

See if you can practice 8 hours one day.

maybe play 100 racks of nineball to build up some stamina. Maybe play for money for several hours.

Popcorn had good ideas of course, but it may be that you just don't play enough. You also may have been trying too hard, but you say you didn't expect to win so I wouldn't think so. You can wear yourself out by getting too emotionally worked up, although a lot of the time your adrenaline will carry you through until the event's over.

Tom_In_Cincy
10-27-2003, 12:50 PM
Laura,

Don't overlook mental strain. This can also drain your physical strength.

Never stand when you can sit. Be as confortable as possible, this helps you to relax and conserve energy.

I like to watch other matches, this is especially good feedback on how I would play a shot. I might just learn something, or at least know that other players play the game in a similar manner. Plus, this is relaxing to me. Conserving energy.

Age does have a factor. Us old folks know more tricks than the younger dewds and dewdesses. We don't dance around the table, hoot and holler, run up to the table, we tend to visit the bio-break room more often (paying attention to our bio needs, rather than holding it until the match is over), we drink less (mainly because it causes more bio-breaks)

I can't disclose all our tricks.. maybe I will run up against one of those younguns' that reads CCB.

bluewolf
10-27-2003, 12:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> You should be able to play a 60 minute match if you are in normal physical condition. You may want to try to figure out how eating before a match effects you. Some players like to eat and some don't. I like to eat a little before a match and I drink diluted orange juice or grapefruit juice when I play. I would never drink alcohol or soda and coffee with caffeine. Don't get dehydrated, it will happen and you won't even know it. I would not be drinking alcohol or caffeine at least a day before the tournament, It would be better if didn't have it at all, but that is another subject. There is a good book called 'Eat to win" by Robert Haas that discusses a lot of this stuff. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks popcorn. Your suggestions are many but looking back on it, I may have gotten dehydrated since I was drinking cokes while I played. A bad choice I now see.

I liked the suggestions by you and jpb also about changing the way I practice to practicing more 'tuff'.

I had wondered for a long time if APA was bad for my pool improvement because I did not have to play very many games and often was not put up against very hard opponents. This was certainly a flip the other way. This second match girl was just firing in the long shots and hard rail cuts , and getting good position etc the first game. That is how I knew she was a better shooter.

Tom, I wondered about the age thing, I mean starting this at 50 when most started when younger. I wondered too if the mental part was related to the physical because this girl was so good and even if I did not win, I wanted to win some games anyway, which required me to I guess try to play smart and focus well and all of that. Maybe that is why I did not hear the noise she complained about.WW told me there was loud music coming from the speakers over our heads. It took all of my energy to just play, nothing left to listen to any other outside racket. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

Ralph S.
10-27-2003, 06:55 PM
Laura, one thing that helps me is that I usually have a friend or really good acquaintance in the room that I can trust. What this does is allows both of us to catch little cat naps or rest the eyes for a while. Each looks out for the other unless we are both playing at the same time. This way neither of us misses getting called for our matches.

bluewolf
10-27-2003, 07:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> Laura, one thing that helps me is that I usually have a friend or really good acquaintance in the room that I can trust. What this does is allows both of us to catch little cat naps or rest the eyes for a while. Each looks out for the other unless we are both playing at the same time. This way neither of us misses getting called for our matches. <hr /></blockquote>

This sounds great. I know that I was really out of it,other than noting how tired I was.My memory of the shots and all is so bad, the pennies saved the day.

I like the buddy idea and Cat naps would be great.Maybe I can have better memory with that too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura