PDA

View Full Version : US Open on PPV

Fred Agnir
10-27-2003, 08:08 AM
I hope everyone had an opportunity to see the recent PPV viewings of the US Open on PPV.

I am happy to report that Eric., Jimmy B, 9BallGirl, Gene, and I had ample TV time.

Several thoughts come to mind about the showing.

In Parica vs. McCready I, they showed the break speed on almost every rack. Most were in the 17.5 to 18.0 mph range. Parica hit 18.5 once. McCready hit 19.5 once.

McCready made three balls on the break several times, at break speeds in the 17.7 mph range. The one 19.5 mph break may have leaked in the last moving ball, but didn't make a significant amount like the slower break. The slower break definitely was doing the most damage.

They literally ran through the entire Jones vs. McCready match. They showed probably every shot, but they ran it in fast forward and skipped anything in between shots. So, you really couldn't tell if JJ was playing slow or not. What you could tell was that Keith was missing way more than he was the previous day against Parica.

The Parica vs. McCready II match was shown almost in its entirety, but didn't have the dialogue on the controversial rack. They also weren't showing the break speed, but for this particular rack, you could hear what the break speed was. Keith, if you're reading, your break speed for that rack as it was called out was 16.2 mph. The slowest one of the day, as I don't remember them once calling out a speed less than 17 mph.

For those who don't know, Keith broke the balls, and came up dry. As the PPV clearly showed, only two balls went beyond the side pocket. A third ball, the six ball I believe, almost got to the center of the table, but it looked a few inches short. The rule at the tournament was that a legal break had to have at least three balls going past the side pocket if no balls were made on the break.

Parica then played a poor safety, sat down, and then questioned the break. IMO, it was too late for him to question it since he had already shot. Keith, feeling that Parica was accusing him of soft-breaking exclaimed that he (Keith) was breaking them as hard as he could and that it was Parica that was softbreaking in the 14 mph range. Sorry, Keith, but the radar gun begs to differ. Both were consistently dancing around the 18 mph range.

Either way, Keith was entertaining as always. His aggressive approach to the table was exciting to watch. Especially when he was running two or three racks at a time (delivering packages, as I call it).

I'm not sure how I like the polka-dot cueball. At times, it looked annoying. But, it could just be my TV set.

Fred <~~~ didn't see the finals on PPV

ManlyShot
10-27-2003, 10:03 AM
I watched the U.S. Open on PPV last night as well. I would have liked to have seen the Jeremy Jones match in its entirety, but I believe the next PPV offering will be Jeremy and Jose in the finals. I will have to check out my TV scheduling, but it is hard to get detailed information from my digital cable TV guide, like who the pool players are.

The pool table used at the 2003 U.S. Open for the television was using that red-dotted cue-ball, which I had never seen before, but it didn't seem to bother the players much.

$500 was given to any player who made the 9 on the break on the TV pool table. The general consensus is to use a medium-speed break to get the biggest bang for the buck when using the Sardo Rack.

BTW, after one of the semi-final matches, the pool table mechanics re-leveled the table because it was rolling off horribly.

Are they going to show Earl and Fabio, Efren and Bustie, Horsfall and Hernandez, and other TV table matches? Just curious.

ManlyShot

Brady_Behrman
10-27-2003, 11:41 AM
I am watching the show @ 1pm EST. Its being shown alot. Cant wait, exciting, i missed it last night...

EXCITED, POOL ON TV!

Brady

Oct 27 11:00AM iN2 US Open 9-Ball Championships: Semi-Finals (Replay)
1:00PM iN2 US Open 9-Ball Championships: Semi-Finals (Replay)
3:00PM iN2 US Open 9-Ball Championships: Semi-Finals (Replay)
5:00PM iN2 US Open 9-Ball Championships: Semi-Finals (Replay)
7:00PM iN2 US Open 9-Ball Championships: Semi-Finals (Replay)
9:00PM iN2 US Open 9-Ball Championships: Semi-Finals (Replay)
11:00PM iN2 US Open 9-Ball Championships: Semi-Finals (Replay)
Oct 28 1:00AM iN2 US Open 9-Ball Championships: Semi-Finals (Replay)
3:00AM iN2 US Open 9-Ball Championships: Semi-Finals (Replay)
5:00AM iN2 US Open 9-Ball Championships: Semi-Finals (Replay)
10:30PM iN1 US Open 9-Ball Championships: Semi-Finals (Replay)
Oct 29 12:00PM iN1 US Open 9-Ball Championships: Semi-Finals (Replay)
Oct 30 6:00PM iN1 US Open 9-Ball Championships: Semi-Finals (Replay)

Sally
10-27-2003, 12:35 PM
That's right - they leveled it right after Keith's match against Jose, where the fateful 7 ball rolled off.

CarolNYC
10-27-2003, 02:22 PM
Just watched it-I saw ALL of you! Also, Heide,Christ and Chris! Woo-hoo!
I knew who Keith McCready was from the Superbilliard expo, but never actually watched and just wanted to say, I really enjoyed his match-I think he talks so cute and I loved the way he used that "body-language" thing going on there!What a pleasure to watch!
Carol~couldnt wait for him to shoot!:):):)Smiling!

Icon of Sin
10-27-2003, 02:43 PM
Yeah I watched it last nite too, taped it. Sucks about that bad roll for keith on the 7 ball. He called them out on the unlevel table in the interview at the end too /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Was definately cool seeing him shoot too.

cycopath
10-27-2003, 03:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr>I loved the way he used that "body-language" thing going on there!What a pleasure to watch!
<hr /></blockquote>
Sometimes I have a hard time watching McCready shoot (only on tape, never in person). All the body english and the side stroke, it's too much for my brain to process.
Very disturbing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
10-27-2003, 03:55 PM
You know why I found it such a pleasure? I have always had the "jumping up" problem and have been told so many times "stay down!"And that is something I have to do!Then, I watch this player just doing his own thing and having fun,on top of it,shooting REALLY good-I just felt like saying "Way to go!":):)
I do have a question-
When Keith tied it 1-1, he said,
"I beat the line, I got one" and the announcer said something about the underdog-do you know what this meant?
Carol

CarolNYC
10-27-2003, 03:58 PM
Hey,
I went to your website-you look very familiar!
Carol~nice website, by the way! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cycopath
10-27-2003, 03:58 PM
I believe Keith is saying, either in jest or for real, that the betting line was he was gonna lose without winning a rack. Like 11-0 Parica. By winning one game he makes the spread.

CarolNYC
10-27-2003, 04:02 PM
THANK-YOU!
Carol~happy he won the match!:)

Brady_Behrman
10-27-2003, 08:45 PM
I dont think i would slow roll that ball anyway. Its noones fault the table "settled" i am sure they checked it numerous times.

$#it happens, sad it happened to our buddy keith but it happens to the best. He'll be back.

Thanks
Brady

Rod
10-27-2003, 09:53 PM
Glad you guys got your air time, including the players. They don't show the open PPV out here.

Rod

Kato
10-28-2003, 08:51 AM
I found out later the line was actually five in that match. Scott Frost was nice enough to offer me nine when I asked what the line was for $100.

Kato~~~didn't bet, didn't feel like getting robbed.

Predator314
10-28-2003, 02:09 PM
Are they showing this on Direct TV PPV? If so, is there a schedule somewhere?

BCn
10-28-2003, 04:11 PM
Dish Network and iNDemand PPV are carrying the event.

For more info go to www.billiardclub.net (http://www.billiardclub.net)

Sid_Vicious
10-28-2003, 06:39 PM
So is this a "no, it is not on Direct Tv?" sid

BCn
10-29-2003, 09:23 AM
Okay, everyone listen very closely, DirecTV is NOT carrying the event.
If you have Direct, call them and tell them they suck!!

Perk
10-29-2003, 11:48 AM
With the idea of PPV hopefully catching on, is DirectTV ever gonna step up for PPV pool? or do I have to watch UFC/Pride Fighting/and of course the BackyYard Babes wrestling PPV's?

I need Direct TV to pop in some..

BCn
10-29-2003, 07:14 PM
DirecTV responds to two things, money and their customers.

They will get involved when pool fans step up and pay for pool on PPV right now on Dish Network and iNDemand.

We are in constent communication with them regarding this year's PPV performance. They like what they see in the programming, but they need to see a better performance level on the other PPV platforms.

Their not like ESPN, they do listen to their customers. Call your DirecTV customer service and file a request for pool.

Also, stay tuned to www.billiardclub.net (http://www.billiardclub.net) for a pay-per-view option online.