PDA

View Full Version : Pool School in Atlanta

Chris in NC
10-27-2003, 01:01 PM
The Dragon and I returned early this morning from a short but very worthwhile trip to The Pool Room in Marietta, Ga (Atlanta suburb), where Drayton attended the one day pool school. Hopefully he will post his thoughts on the pool school, but it was an exciting day or two other than just the pool school. I was amazed at the number of players that traveled a considerable distance to come to this school - many from Florida.

On Saturday night, Drayton had the opportunity to play challenge matches (races to 2) against Earl, Jeremy, Johnny, Buddy, Corey and Nick. A win by Drayton over Jeremy (he gave Drayton a few extra chances) won us a $25 bar tab!

Then was the opportunity to buy a pro player to play in a scotch doubles format event. Drayton played with Earl, and I had the honor to play with Buddy. Both of us had the chance to make it to the finals, but ended up playing each other in the consolation match for 3rd place. Earl and Drayton prevailed. He had a great time playing with Earl, as I did Buddy.

Sunday was a long day for Drayton at the pool school (10am - 8pm), while I practiced and then played in their weekly Sunday 9-ball tourney. I was lucky enough to somehow win the tourney, which helped recoup some of our weekend's expenses.

The Pool Room is unquestionably one of the nicest room I've been in, with nearly 30 9-foot tables and a 12 foot snooker table. Johnny Archer is the house pro. There was at least 7 feet between the tables - combination of Olhausen's, Gold Crown's, Gandy's and even one Diamond table.

The Olhausen tables we played the tourney on had absolutely brutal corner pockets. They measured just under 5 inches in the front of the pockets, but tapered back fast to where 2 balls lodged before the drop-off point. This resulted in pockets that IMO were overly punishing. Even Earl told me that in his opinion they were indeed severe.

We'll definently make a point to return to The Poolroom again, and if any of you are ever in the Atlanta area, a trip to this room is a MUST. - Chris in NC

cycopath
10-27-2003, 01:18 PM
I wish more people could see Earl on a friendly level. Most folks just know him from what they see on tv, the intense competitor that he is. I meet him at the 2001 BCA Show and he was a really nice guy.

Chris in NC
10-27-2003, 11:20 PM
I can't say that I agree with you regarding Earl. He is a great player and my son's idol, which is why I wanted my son to have the opportunity to play with him as a scotch doubles partner. However it was my impression, for all the pool talent this man posesses, he is simply not all there.

He spent most of the evening ranting and raving about how no one likes him and everyone pulls against him whenever he's playing. He talks about how unlucky he is, and how he regrets that he ever started playing pool - clearly very bitter about what little the game has given back to him financially. He basically carries on a running conversation with himself, although he directs it at people nearby who are watching him, but not necessarily responding to him. I could go on and on, but IMO he is a real piece of work. However, there is still no one I would rather watch playing. - Chris in NC

koolcuedude
10-28-2003, 12:08 PM
when and where is the next one, I would like to go to it.

Scott Lee
10-29-2003, 12:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris in NC:</font><hr>He talks about how unlucky he is, and how he regrets that he ever started playing pool - clearly very bitter about what little the game has given back to him financially. - Chris in NC <hr /></blockquote>

...and this from the ONE person who has received the LARGEST single payday in pool: the $350,000 CASH that he got for running 11 racks in Dallas in 1996. Sure, it took a couple years to actually get the money paid to him, but he DID get it! Whatta jamoke! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Qtec
10-29-2003, 10:36 PM
HaHa Its Earl against the world. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Love it. What a guy.

He is still the man as far as I am concerned. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Qtec

CarolNYC
10-30-2003, 04:32 AM
Hi Chris,
The Regional Championship will be held this weekend at The Pool Room-top 7 players from each tour-if your near there, would love to meet you!It should be a really good tournament~70 players!
Carol

Rich R.
10-30-2003, 05:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Hi Chris,
The Regional Championship will be held this weekend at The Pool Room-top 7 players from each tour-if your near there, would love to meet you!It should be a really good tournament~70 players!
Carol <hr /></blockquote>
Good luck Carol. Kick some butt! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
10-30-2003, 05:52 AM
Thank you!I'll try my best!/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Will miss ya!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Carol

Popcorn
10-30-2003, 12:15 PM
He is probably comparing himself to players in other sports that make millions. He needs to look at people that are also some of the best at what they do, swimmers, track stars, archers, skiers, gun competitors, the list would be endless, that can't make any living at all. As players go, he is blessed and doing pretty good. There is money in pool as an industry, just not as a professional player. Billiard supplies owner, pool room owner, instructor, doing exhibitions, cuemakers and so on. There is money to be made within the industry, unfortunately not as a professional player. I don't really see it as a professional sport, it is more an amateur sport. Even the players that fancy themselves as professionals, in most cases can't depend on pool for their livelihood. Danny DiLiberto was once being interviewed by Criss Schankel of WWof S. (sp?). He asked Danny what he did for a living, Danny said, "I play pool". Shankel said, "No, I mean what is your full time job when you are not playing pool"? Pretty hard to call yourself a professional at anything you can't make a living at. As far as pool goes in general, I don't measure the health of pool based on whether a professional can make a living at it. People are always talking about the sorry state of pool because of the lack of tournaments. There is no lack of tournaments, players play in tournaments seven days a week all over the country. There are nice rooms to play in, new players taking up the game everyday, nicer equipment to play on then there has ever been. Pool is doing very well and if there is someday a professional tour, then so much the better, but it has little to do with the overall future and popularity of the sport. Pool is no fad, it has been around a long time. I may have rambled a little here.

Popcorn
10-30-2003, 12:25 PM
"He spent most of the evening ranting and raving about how no one likes him and everyone pulls against him whenever he's playing. He talks about how unlucky he is, and how he regrets that he ever started playing pool "

When people say that type of thing, they are really saying, look at me and how important I am, (At least in their own minds). It is fake bitterness, They actually like it. They would be much less happy if they were ignored. It makes them feel important to think people even take the time to think about them even if it is in the negative. If it didn't, he would not be telling the story. It is just a desperate need for attention.