PDA

View Full Version : Help needed replacing j/b tip

Brent
10-27-2003, 02:12 PM
Hi. I need help replaceing my jump-breaker tip. It just popped off today doing crazy masse shots /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. I got the tip and its almost brand new...now I need to get it back and for good this time. Where do I put glue and what glue is good ? Will super attack do ? How long do I have to let it dry and so on. Thnx everyone.

cycopath
10-27-2003, 03:56 PM
I always use 5 Minute 2 part epoxy. You can get it at any hardware store. Looks like this:

http://cyco.xsintrk.net/pics/epoxy.JPG

Wally_in_Cincy
10-28-2003, 09:22 AM
Many folks here have recommended Super Glue Gel in the past.

With the way some people here are obsessed with tips I'm surprised you did not get more responses.

Brent
10-28-2003, 04:13 PM
Yeah...Im still waiting for more replies...super glue tube in my hand /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif OK thnx for nothing Im gonna use the super glue and if it pops off again then Il just be pissed /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

UTAddb
10-28-2003, 06:30 PM
Talk to Spiderman- he does tips and uses a pretty strong glue. it might be the epoxy but I'm not sure.

Sid_Vicious
10-28-2003, 08:55 PM
I believe Spiderman will say to use the slow setting 2-part epoxy. That is the adhesive he used on both my phenolic and my bakelite tips for my jumpers. The super glue may very well crystalize and pop right back off again. Get those bonding surfaces really clean first...sid

L.S. Dennis
10-28-2003, 09:10 PM
Brent,

The glues that I use and I have always seen other professional repair people use is 'Duro Super Glue Gel'. I would use that two part epoxy for ferrules but not for tips.

Make sure that you rough up the back of the tip with some course sandpaper and that the end of the shaft is sanded and perfectly clean. It sets up in just a few seconds so you'll need to work fast. Ready to play in about 5 to 7 minutes.

Do it right!

Brent
10-28-2003, 11:31 PM
Ok thnx guys...off to buy some super glue gel version /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
10-29-2003, 07:36 AM
I'd wonder if that holds true for them installing synthetic composition tips for these jumpers? S-glue soaks into leather ok, but I wonder about those less than porous types like the phenolics. The slow setting adhesives may "linger" and adhere better...just a thought...sid

Wally_in_Cincy
10-29-2003, 07:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I'd wonder if that holds true for them installing synthetic composition tips for these jumpers? S-glue soaks into leather ok, but I wonder about those less than porous types like the phenolics. The slow setting adhesives may "linger" and adhere better...just a thought...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Brent's cue has a leather tip.

Sid_Vicious
10-29-2003, 09:36 AM
Then I do not understand why he wants to preserve the old tip at all. Only reason I'd try to save a popped off tip is if it was as a specalty. Leather tips are far too easy to find. So much for my assumptions...sid

Brent
10-29-2003, 09:56 AM
Heh I want to put back the old tip because a) I dont have a newone b) Ive played with the tip for 1 day /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif so its like new.