PDA

View Full Version : CCB Blackheart Cue gets a test drive today

Kato
10-28-2003, 12:34 PM
First, a request for Jerry. Could you please repost the specs of the cue? I tried to find them in archives but I didn't yet and I erased the e-mail you sent me.

At about 5:30 p.m. ET I'll be putting it through the paces. I plan to shoot with it for 90 minutes straight. Center, middle, low, slow spin, power draw, force follow, force follow with bucket loads of english /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif. In other words I intend to have something to say about it tonight after dinner.

What I will tell you upon initial inspection. The cue is very well made, very clean, and the cocobolo wood in the handle, forearm, and joint are beautiful. The pics Jerry took of this cue didn't come close to doing it justice. I'm extremely interested in seeing how his 20 layer laminated shafts hit and feel. He promised me it wouldn't play like a Predator (thankfully for the sake of my sanity /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) so of course I took it instead of the regular shafts.

Anyway, look for my opinions coming to a CCB Forum near you.

Kato

Karatemom
10-28-2003, 12:42 PM
Hi Kato! Jerry gave ruk and I a sneak peek at your cue at the Midwest Expo before he shipped it off. That is one beautiful cue, you lucky dog. Am interested to hear how it plays.

Heide

Rich R.
10-28-2003, 12:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> I'm extremely interested in seeing how his 20 layer laminated shafts hit and feel. He promised me it wouldn't play like a Predator (thankfully for the sake of my sanity /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) so of course I took it instead of the regular shafts. <hr /></blockquote>
I have been shooting with a laminated shaft, from another cue maker, and I can tell you, it doesn't play anything like a predator. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I will be very interested in reading your review of the Blackheart cue. I already know that they look georgeous.

Paul_Mon
10-28-2003, 12:54 PM
Kato,
I hope you like it as much as I like mine. Here's my original post about my Blackheart from 2 years ago.

Blackheart review - Part 1 10/09/2001

My much anticipated Blackheart cue finally arrived this week. It is everything that I had expected in terms of looks. The fit and finish are perfect and Jerryís abilities are apparent even upon close inspection. There are no bubbles, voids or surface contaminants in the clear finish; I looked with a 7X loupe. My engineering background makes it difficult appraise value without gathering data. In that vein I measured certain attributes of this cue and was impressed with the results. The six Tulipwood points (pointy points of course) consisting of three high and three low were all aligned to within .003Ē. Total circular runout (how straight) of the shaft and butt were each measured separately, as I donít have the means to measure anything longer than 36Ē. The shaft deviated from perfect form by .006Ē and the butt was less than .003Ē. BTW, a piece of paper is about .004Ē.
Aesthetically, this cue is pleasing to the eye and a near perfect marriage of the materials chosen. I say near perfect because, IMO using some exotic (gold, silver, etc) inlays would enhance the beauty. The ebony forearm would be complimented most by these additions. The grip section is a very nice piece of fiddleback or curly Maple and it is neat to view this when rotating or pivoting the cue, it seems to change colors and effervesce. Additionally, the fits at the joint rings, ferrule, butt sleeve are all seamless. Jerry made this cue with a Blackheart shaft and at the same time insured that a new Predator shaft matched as well. I donít know if this was easy or difficult for him considering what dictates the final diameters but Jer did a great job insuring that both shafts match up well.
Unfortunately, Iíve been tied up lately and have a limited amount of playing time with this cue. My initial reaction is that the hit is extremely solid feeling with a pleasant audible feedback. Jer installed a Talisman MH WB layered tip on his shaft and I will be evaluating this tip too. Iíll have some photos eventually and will put them up on a website. Thatís all for now.

Blackheart review - Part 2 10/15/2001

I now have about 25 hours of playing time with this cue. I used it with the Blackheart shaft for about 6 hours and then tried the 314 shaft. Iím sorry Jer but I can not give up the 314 shaft. I just havenít found any other shaft that eliminates as much squirt as the 314. I guess after using one for the last 6 years I can not adjust, with confidence, to any other shaft.
That said I must admit that this Blackheart/314 combination is by far and away the best combination Iíve tried. I have used 314 shafts on 314 butts, Meucci butts, Showcase butts and Schon butts. It has the most feel of any of the combinations. I have the most time using my 314 on a Meucci butt and really missed the softer feel that the Meucci shaft. This new Blackheart combination delivers superb feel and a real nice sound, both of which make playing more enjoyable for me.
The three players that Iíve asked to look at and hit the Blackheart all agreed that it was extremely well made had a solid hit with good feedback. BTW, two of these players preferred the Blackheart shaft vs. the 314 shaft. Neither uses a 314 and the other fellow who preferred the 314 also uses a 314 now. His comments were identical to mine in that it is the best hitting 314 heís ever tried. One of these guys thinks that Jerryís cues could sell for at least 40% more than what he charges. This guy knows cues and cue prices. All in all these three guys were impressed with the cue in terms of quality, looks, playability and price. Two thumbs up JER.

Paul Mon

cycopath
10-28-2003, 01:53 PM
I still have the pic of Paul_Mon's cue:

http://cyco.xsintrk.net/pics/cue/paulmoncues.jpg

Kato
10-28-2003, 02:43 PM
He'd e-mailed me and asked me if I minded him showing it off there. Heck no I say, send it when you get home.

Pretty cool looking cue huh? I'm digging it. Looking forward to hitting with the WB to. Jerry sold me on it when we spoke the first time.

Kato

BLACKHEART
10-28-2003, 06:49 PM
Kato you asked if I would post the specs for the Q that I donated &amp; you were lucky enough to win at the CCB tournament. Here goes....
1)The Q is 58-1/4" long from bumper to tip.
2) The shaft is 29-1/4" from tip to end of joint. It has a water buffalo tip &amp; a thermoplastic 1-1/4" ferrule(similar to, but tougher than Meucci uses). The shaft itself is made up of 20 layers of maple veneer, glued together(plywood style).
3) The joint screw(i hate the term "pin") is 3/8-10 stainless steel.
4) The balance point is about an inch above the wrap.

I hope this is what you wanted when you said "SPECS"...JER

P.S I really loved making it,(the retail price would be $650).

CarolNYC
10-29-2003, 04:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
had a solid hit <hr /></blockquote>
WAY TO GO,Jer!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SPetty
10-29-2003, 03:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> He promised me it wouldn't play like a Predator (thankfully for the sake of my sanity /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) ...<hr /></blockquote>I have been shooting with a laminated shaft, from another cue maker, and I can tell you, it doesn't play anything like a predator. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif<hr /></blockquote>What's all this mean? I was under the impression that the straight lams were intending to reproduce the Predator's success. If it plays nothing like a Predator, does it play like a "normal" shaft? Is it intending to have reduced cue ball squirt tendencies like the Predator is? Or what? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Fred Agnir
10-29-2003, 04:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> ]What's all this mean? I was under the impression that the straight lams were intending to reproduce the Predator's success. <hr /></blockquote>There's nothing in the straight laminations that would mimic the Predator shaft.

Fred

ras314
10-29-2003, 08:12 PM
"There's nothing in the straight laminations that would mimic the Predator shaft."

Would a hollow shaft tip end and a light ferrule imitate the 314? Would laminations, pie sections, X sections, or whatever matter?

Jay
10-29-2003, 09:09 PM
is there a website for blackheart cues or a place online where i can see some of his work

ras314
10-29-2003, 09:51 PM
Try to pm him or email at blkhrt4@insightbb.com and see if he will send you some pics.

Or pm me and I can send you some he sent me. Got to warn you, these are some REAL nice looking cues.

Rich R.
10-30-2003, 05:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> What's all this mean? I was under the impression that the straight lams were intending to reproduce the Predator's success. If it plays nothing like a Predator, does it play like a "normal" shaft? Is it intending to have reduced cue ball squirt tendencies like the Predator is? Or what? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>
SPetty, from the little I know, the cue makers making laminated shafts are just trying to produce an improved product. They are not trying to mimic anything. In fact, I would guess, they do not think much of the Predator shafts. I don't think much of Predator either, JMHO, and I was pleasantly surprised when I tried another laminated shaft.

The laminated shafts, from those who offer them, are just another choice. You either like them, or you don't. Although I have been shooting with a laminated shaft, I also have a regular shaft for that cue, so you can see, I was hedging my bet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dmgwalsh
10-30-2003, 05:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> What's all this mean? I was under the impression that the straight lams were intending to reproduce the Predator's success. If it plays nothing like a Predator, does it play like a "normal" shaft? Is it intending to have reduced cue ball squirt tendencies like the Predator is? Or what? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>
SPetty, from the little I know, the cue makers making laminated shafts are just trying to produce an improved product. They are not trying to mimic anything. In fact, I would guess, they do not think much of the Predator shafts. I don't think much of Predator either, JMHO, and I was pleasantly surprised when I tried another laminated shaft.

The laminated shafts, from those who offer them, are just another choice. You either like them, or you don't. Although I have been shooting with a laminated shaft, I also have a regular shaft for that cue, so you can see, I was hedging my bet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote> What's the difference between the laminated shaft and the regular shaft?

Scott Lee
10-30-2003, 05:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> What's the difference between the laminated shaft and the regular shaft? <hr /></blockquote>

Dennis...A regular shaft is one solid piece of wood (maple, ash, etc.). A laminated shaft is many thin layers glued together to form a block, and then turned on a lathe to make a round shaft.

Scott

griffith_d
10-30-2003, 06:31 AM
Cuemakers can buy pre-made laminated shafts from cue supply houses and turn them down with their own taper.

Griff

Fred Agnir
10-30-2003, 07:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> "There's nothing in the straight laminations that would mimic the Predator shaft."

Would a hollow shaft tip end and a light ferrule imitate the 314? <hr /></blockquote>

That certainly would be a good start.

[ QUOTE ]
Would laminations, pie sections, X sections, or whatever matter?<hr /></blockquote> I doubt it, but I'm open to convincing arguments.

Fred

dmgwalsh
10-30-2003, 08:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> What's the difference between the laminated shaft and the regular shaft? <hr /></blockquote>

Dennis...A regular shaft is one solid piece of wood (maple, ash, etc.). A laminated shaft is many thin layers glued together to form a block, and then turned on a lathe to make a round shaft.

Scott <hr /></blockquote>

Scott- what's the difference in the hit?
Dennis

Scott Lee
10-30-2003, 11:24 AM
Dennis...I'm not the guy to ask that!...never shot with one! I've never owned a different shaft, other than those that came with my cues. I've always owned good quality cues, and never had any trouble getting them to work for me.
To me, a cue is a cue, in the hands of an artist! LOL/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Other folks feel different, and that's ok too!

Scott

SPetty
10-30-2003, 12:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> the cue makers making laminated shafts are just trying to produce an improved product. <hr /></blockquote>I had the opportunity talk with a cue maker not too long ago, and when the cue maker noticed I was playing with a Predator, offered me a chance to shoot with the laminated shaft, indicating that it was "better", I think the word was, than the Predator. Anyway, the comparison was being made specifically to the Predator shaft, not just any shaft.

Rich R.
10-30-2003, 12:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr>I've never owned a different shaft, other than those that came with my cues. I've always owned good quality cues, and never had any trouble getting them to work for me. <hr /></blockquote>
Scott, I don't want you to give Dennis the wrong impression. Not all laminated shafts are retro-fits from another company. My laminated shaft came with my cue. When placing the order, with the cue maker, I requested one regular shaft and one laminated shaft. Both shafts were made for the cue, by the cue maker.

I think you will find several cue makers, including CCB's own Blackheart, offering laminated shafts for their cues. It is just another choice for the buyer to make.

Now, about that cue in the hands of an artist thing.
I wouldn't know about that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rich R.
10-30-2003, 01:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I had the opportunity talk with a cue maker not too long ago, and when the cue maker noticed I was playing with a Predator, offered me a chance to shoot with the laminated shaft, indicating that it was "better", I think the word was, than the Predator. Anyway, the comparison was being made specifically to the Predator shaft, not just any shaft. <hr /></blockquote>
I'm sure he mentioned the Predator, because you had one and because they get the most publicity.

All of these shafts are just choices. Every player picks the one they like, but there is always a chance that there is a better one out there.

Cueless Joey
10-30-2003, 01:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Dennis...I'm not the guy to ask that!...never shot with one! I've never owned a different shaft, other than those that came with my cues. I've always owned good quality cues, and never had any trouble getting them to work for me.
To me, a cue is a cue, in the hands of an artist! LOL/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Other folks feel different, and that's ok too!

Scott <hr /></blockquote>
Lemme see you shoot with a Meucci Red Dot instead of that really FANCY Samsara with AAA-grade maple shaft. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
10-30-2003, 01:43 PM
Susan, I've now played with several Predators and still own a Predator shaft for another cue. I can assure you that Jerry's shaft is nothing like a Predator and much more lively. I also had to make ZERO aiming adjustments from my Omen. Not the same with Predator.

Kato

wolfdancer
10-30-2003, 01:52 PM
Post deleted by wolfdancer

Kato
10-30-2003, 02:05 PM
I don't spin it. I don't like spinning. I think people that spin look goofy. I am goofy enough without spinning /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kato