PDA

View Full Version : Pool in different Media

Fred Agnir
10-28-2003, 01:17 PM
I was watching CSI last night (or was that the night before?). David Caruso was inspecting a some fragments found imbedded in a victim's head. Under the microscope, he reported that the fragments were pieces of wood. Special wood. 20 layers per inch. Maple. A pool cue...

The fact that 1 player out of 20 has ever heard of a laminated maple dowel for pool cues apparently is meaningless. Every Crime Scene Investigator apparently knows of them however...

On a more positive note (not that the fictitious use of a custom cue to beat someone's brains in isn't positive pool exposure) I was just at my doctor's office (allergy shots, don't-ya-know) and was perusing the July/August Issue of Travel & Leisure Golf. There's an article in there interviewing Jeanette Lee and her love of golf. She does a great job comparing pool and golf, as well as touching on the subject of gender in sports. Nice job, nice article.

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
10-28-2003, 02:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> I was watching CSI last night (or was that the night before?). David Caruso

<font color="red">So David Caruso finally found another tv gig LOL </font color>

was inspecting a some fragments found imbedded in a victim's head. Under the microscope, he reported that the fragments were pieces of wood. Special wood. 20 layers per inch. Maple. A pool cue...

The fact that 1 player out of 20 has ever heard of a laminated maple dowel for pool cues apparently is meaningless. Every Crime Scene Investigator apparently knows of them however...

<font color="red">apparently

I'm surprised the writers were aware of them.</font color>

the fictitious use of a custom cue to beat someone's brains in isn't positive pool exposure

<font color="red">One of our local league players is doing 9 months for exactly that. It's not his first time. </font color>

) I was just at my doctor's office (allergy shots, don't-ya-know) and was perusing the July/August Issue of Travel &amp; Leisure Golf. There's an article in there interviewing Jeanette Lee and her love of golf. She does a great job comparing pool and golf, as well as touching on the subject of gender in sports. Nice job, nice article.

<font color="red">You should have swiped it and scanned it.

I was flipping thru channels Sunday night. Apparently SoapNet replays a week's worth of One Life to Live each Sunday. Recalling that Jennifer Baretta was scheduled to appear this week I watched Tuesday's show.

One of the charachters was playing for the amatuer national championship against Baretta (they called JB "Katie Cochran" I think). JB had no speaking part.

The girl was supposed to dump the match but she found out her friends had bet a lot of money on her . She won, now the gangster gamblers are going to kill her.

Apparently the director is a pool fan, according to an article in BD.
</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Fred Agnir
10-28-2003, 02:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred:</font><hr> I was just at my doctor's office (allergy shots, don't-ya-know) and was perusing the July/August Issue of Travel &amp; Leisure Golf. There's an article in there interviewing Jeanette Lee and her love of golf. She does a great job comparing pool and golf, as well as touching on the subject of gender in sports. Nice job, nice article.<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red">You should have swiped it and scanned it</font color><hr /></blockquote>
Good idea. I'll go scan it.

Actually, I asked to copy it, but they gave it to me instead.

Fred

tateuts
10-29-2003, 05:15 PM
Then there's the kind you don't want.

When it comes to pool, the worst thing I've ever seen aired was just a few weeks ago. It was one of theose reality television shows, like COPS, but I think this one was called "Real Video".

Basically, it showed unedited security camera footage of a gang fight and shooting execution in a pool hall in El Monte, California that occurred in 1999. The tape was downright frightening. It looked like a typical pool hall scene until the fighting broke out.

Here's a link to the District Atttorney's office concerning the prosecution of the crime:

District Attorney's office (http://da.co.la.ca.us/mr/013003a.htm)

Chris