PDA

View Full Version : $30,000 Ring Game

gfm3
10-28-2003, 05:29 PM
The Ring Game to be held in January at the Derby City Classic is a joint creation of Greg Sullivan and myself. I just want to make sure Greg and Diamond get the credit they deserve. Thanks for everyone's interest in our venture and we'll see you at the Derby.
Grady

Popcorn
10-28-2003, 06:14 PM
I was just wondering, how you did with the tournament you put on in Florida? I know you have taken some losses in the past, did this turn out better? Are you considering any more Florida tournaments? Pretty nice down here around February.

merkyone
10-28-2003, 11:09 PM
I'll say this... the "professor" @ southern billiards in starkville has given both you, grady, and mr. sullivan all the credit for the idea of the "ring game tournament"... no need to toot your own horn.

RUNaRAK
10-29-2003, 07:05 AM
I certainly did not see it as "tooting his own horn" He was simply saying that he did not come up with the idea on his own. He wants to make sure that Greg gets the equal credit he deserves.
It is a great idea and what fun it will be to watch!

RUNaRAK
10-29-2003, 08:57 AM
Grady answered that for me on another post. DCC on Jan 16 @ 3:00pm in case anyone else did not know.

Sid_Vicious
10-29-2003, 09:41 AM
Ring games at this price are an open invitation to some devious, behind the scenes activities...say "cuttin' up" maybe???sid

Scott Lee
10-29-2003, 09:55 AM
sid...I spoke with Greg the day before yesterday, on the phone, for over an hour, about both this ring game, and his involvement with RAM and the Vegas tournament as well. This "Ring Game" is completely legit. The money is being posted upfront, by several reputable companies (think corporate sponsorship, along the same lines as golf), and there will be NO 'devious, behind-the-scenes' activities...as you suggested. Certainly, in the past, something like this might have had those ramifications. Not this time...Greg, his partner Mark Griffin, and Grady, have put a lot of effort into organizing this as a 'total offense' type of 6-man event. The players are already set, having been chosen by the people posting the money. The way it was described to me, there is no advantage to trying to "dump"! I believe it will be something like the big poker matches, where there are escalating 'bets', and a player can go 'all in'...meaning if they lose that game, they are broke and out! It sounds to me like this is what pool needs, and will be very exciting to watch, both in person, and on tape/DVD (they are planning to tape it for possible tv and video sales).

Scott Lee

PoolFan
10-29-2003, 01:38 PM
Does anyone know what the ring game will be?

RUNaRAK
10-29-2003, 02:52 PM
What?? I assume you mean what game. I believe it should be a 10 ball game just like the one played this past Saturday at Southern billiards...

NH_Steve
10-29-2003, 09:02 PM
I was wondering who the 6 players will be?

stevelomako
10-29-2003, 09:15 PM
Earl Strickland, Corey Duel, Jimmy Wetch, Rodney Morris, Alex Pagulayan and everyone's favorite on here......
Charlie Williams

Scott Lee
10-30-2003, 06:28 AM
I think Greg told me they'll be playing 9-ball AND 10-ball both...and the player order will continually change, so that no single player has an advantage in the lineup.

RUNaRAK
10-30-2003, 07:48 AM
The ring game that happened at Southern Billiards last weekend is now available on Video. $15.00 which is pretty reasonable for 12 hours of fun. It is available at Southern Billiards (http://www.southernbilliards.com) website.
In case anyone is interested!

bolo
10-30-2003, 09:47 AM
What did he say about the other Vegas tournament?

Kato
10-30-2003, 09:57 AM
I'll be buying the Professors video and Grady's video. I'm very interested in this. Besides, 2 videos for $15, can you beat it? I'm sure the quality of play is very high.

Kato

Scott Lee
10-30-2003, 11:14 AM
bolo...He said that the people trying to put it on had invested a LOT of $$$, and we're likely to lose their shorts trying to pull it off at this late date. He had suggested to them to delay it a couple of months (or longer), and try again. He also said he was NOT going to hold entry fee monies, unless they posted the $1,000,000 upfront, and then allowed some respected umbrella organization (BCA was mentioned) to handle the payouts.
All in all, it sounds like it will not likely come off...especially since the ABSOLUTE deadline for 200 PAID entries is tomorrow! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Both Greg and I believe the idea is sound...they are just going about it in the wrong way...and being especially "pushy" isn't going to help!

Scott Lee