PDA

View Full Version : Action cues...other suggestion welcomed.

Cueless
10-28-2003, 06:45 PM
Hey all, new here and to pool for the most part...but love the game. I play occasionally with a friend who is pretty good. I always used a cheap house cue when we've gone out and played but used his new Meucci cue he just got and noticed how much better my shots "felt", and decided it's time to at least look around for a decent cue.

I'm not totally new to the game, as I've played quite a bit...just never real serious. I'd like to get myself a cue, just something that shoots nicer than a house cue. Now, I don't want to go out and spend $400+ on a cue like my friend did on his Meucci. Just something nicer than a house cue, preferably $100 or less.

I was looking around, and found an Action cue that looks really nice and was wondering if it would be a decent cue to start with. If you have any other suggestion, feel free to throw them out.

Remember, I'm just starting out...so try and keep it fairly cheap. I'm also left handed if that makes a difference.

buddha162
10-29-2003, 04:32 AM
I would look at the low-end Lucasis. Uni-Lock and Radial pins for a little over $100. See these examples: http://www.billiardswarehouse.com/cues/lucasi/lucasi_pg1.htm

If you feel like spending a little more, you can't go wrong with a basic Joss, which is American made (if that makes a difference to you): http://www.billiardswarehouse.com/cues/joss/joss_pool_cues.htm

Both Lucasi and Joss are much better cues than Meucci, IMHO. Even a $400+ Meucci.

Roger

pooltchr
10-29-2003, 07:27 AM
I would agree the lower end Lucasi is a better cue for the money. If you liked the way that Meucci (ugh!!!) felt, you might look at the Fury cues. They start at under $100 and the shaft seems to be a little bit less stiff but not as whippy as the Meucci (ugh, I said it again!!!)

Scott Lee
10-29-2003, 10:20 AM
Cueless...There is nothing wrong with the Action cue line, as a starter cue. Their 'Elite' series is nearly identical to the Lucasi cues. Both are constructed with inlays, and points. The other Action cues, are solid maple, with decals overlaid. Cuestix is a very reputable company, and they will stand behind their product, should there be a problem. BTW, Fury cues are manufactured in the same plants as Action and Lucasi, in China...SAME factories, making different branded cues for different American companies! If you like the look of the Action cue, go ahead and buy it.

Scott Lee

Cueless
10-29-2003, 11:16 AM
I'll have to check out the others mentioned. The Action cue I was looking at was only like $80. It just had a neat design on it, which made it aesthetically pleasing. But I'd rather buy a nice starter cue and sacrafice a "nice" looking cue in the process.

If the Action cues with the graphics on it shoot as well as some of the others then I might go ahead and get it.

The reason I said I liked how the Meucci cue shot simply because it was the only cue I've used that wasn't a cheap house cue at the bar. And it obviously shot alot better than the house cues.

Is there a good site to go to that has a list of different cues and prices, I realize the prices on them will all be relatively the same at the different site, but if there is a site that everyone favors I'd like to check it out.

I just don't want to go out and spend $100 or more dollars on my first cue and have it not shoot much better than a house cue. I really like the Action cue's looks...just need to know if it shoots as good as it looks?

Wally_in_Cincy
10-29-2003, 11:24 AM
http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/

OR

www.hawleys.com (http://www.hawleys.com) although I think Hawleys deals with a bit more expensive cues. You won't go wrong either way. Or go to your local billiard supply house or pool hall after comparing the prices..

Cueless
10-29-2003, 11:31 AM
Well, what's the general consensus on this Action (http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/action/act101.htm) cue? I like the looks, just not sure if it will shoot much better?

I'll take a look at the Joss and a few other mentioned cues around here.

Perk
10-29-2003, 11:34 AM
Good suggestions have been made for you and a first cue. One thing to remember, a cue will grow on you and you will gain consistency with that particular model. When you invest in a < 100 cue, you will have a better hit than the house cues, and Walmart style cues. Once you get the idea of the feel of a particular type of cue/shaft, the rest of the costs start making up the looks of the cue.

Dont be afraid of any of the cues mentioned being like a house cue. This wont be the case. You will get used to that model, and it will work for you. Depending on the amount of time and effort you put towards this great game, it will last you a while.

As with any cue, be sure to do some research on the appropriate way to take care of your cues. Regardless of the cost of your cue, you should be able to make it last for a long period of time. Good Luck.

Cueless
10-29-2003, 11:41 AM
That was another thing I was going to ask about. If I do decide on the Action cue, how much of a difference will a tip make? And how do I decide on a good tip to use.

I am will to spend more money after the cue on upkeep and the proper tip, chalk, and whatever else it takes to keep it looking nice and shooting good.

Does the graphics on these cues, such as the Action I linked, have a problem with wearing off?

Wally_in_Cincy
10-29-2003, 12:03 PM
I can tell you that the pic of the Grim Reaper will not make you shoot better /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I like the ACT81 or the ACT91 better. Just a matter of taste.

Whatever you do don't get the one with the shark on it /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Scott Lee
10-29-2003, 12:09 PM
Cueless...No, the decal will not wear off. It may, however, get nicks in it if you bang the cue on the table. As far as tips go, the Action cues come with a LePro tip on them as standard (which is also true for the other cues that were mentioned). This is a fine tip, and will work for you with no problem. You should, however, take a piece of sandpaper and rough up the top of the tip when you first get it. Then just chalking well will suffice. The cue or tip makes little difference in the hands of someone who knows how to use it. Like Perk said, you'll get "used" to whatever cue you buy...kind of like having your own tennis racquet or golf clubs...you can use anybody's, but your own feels a little more at home to you. Personally, I'd be more concerned with investing in learning how to USE the cue correctly, than the equipment itself. Pays off much greater in the long run. Right now it's likely you wouldn't be able to "feel" the difference between the hit of a $50 cue or a $500 cue. However, get a lesson from a qualified instructor and you'll be able to shoot effectively with either! I have seen literally hundreds of people chomping at the bit to throw down $500-$1000 for some fancy cue, but wouldn't dream of spending $50-$100 to really LEARN how to use it properly! JMO

Scott Lee

Cueless
10-29-2003, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't mind spending a day with an instructor on how to properly shoot, or at least have him look at my form and technique.

Like I said, I'm not entirely new to the game of pool. Been playing for almost 15 years, just never seriously. You know, I'd go out with friends to the poolhalls and play every weekend for about 2 years, or I'd go to my grandparents and play on their table when I wanted to, or I'd go to the bar with friends and play.

But I can always use some improvement...no doubt.

I really appreciate all the suggestions.

BeanDiesel
10-29-2003, 03:05 PM
why not cuetec?

Cueless
10-29-2003, 03:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BeanDiesel:</font><hr> why not cuetec? <hr /></blockquote>

I don't know, why not? As I stated, I'm totally new to buying cues, no idea what to look for. I am open to suggestions...so I'll take a look at the Cuetec.

Kato
10-29-2003, 03:07 PM
What is better about Cuetec? How do you rate Cuetec against Action vs dollars spent?

Kato

buddha162
10-29-2003, 03:13 PM
Hello Scott,

I know the cues are manufactured in the same factory, but there is definitely a quality difference between Action and Lucasi. I've known several strong players ditch their Schon or Joss or even customs and switch to Lucasis. I've never heard of anyone ditching any cue for an Action.

I've shot with my friend's Lucasi, and the thing hit solid. IMHO, Lucasis are head and shoulder above the rest of the Asian imports, and excellent value as well.

Roger

Cueless
10-29-2003, 03:13 PM
One question. Is there a formula of some sort I should go by when choosing the weight of a cue? Sounds stupid but, do I go with 18.x rather than 20...or is that all personal preference?

pooltchr
10-29-2003, 03:34 PM
I would probably go with 19oz. You probably wouldn't want more than that, and most cues have a weight bolt that can be taken out to reduce the weight, or a heavier one put in if you want more weight. 19 is pretty standard.

Ditto to Scott's comments on instruction. Go to www.bca-pool.com (http://www.bca-pool.com) and go to play then instruction and you will find a list of active instructors all over the country. It's a good place to start your search, far bette than listening to all the well intentioned advice you will get at a pool room.

Cueless
10-29-2003, 04:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> I would probably go with 19oz. You probably wouldn't want more than that, and most cues have a weight bolt that can be taken out to reduce the weight, or a heavier one put in if you want more weight. 19 is pretty standard.

Ditto to Scott's comments on instruction. Go to www.bca-pool.com (http://www.bca-pool.com) and go to play then instruction and you will find a list of active instructors all over the country. It's a good place to start your search, far bette than listening to all the well intentioned advice you will get at a pool room. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the link. Looks like there is a recognized instructor in the same city as me. I'll have to call him and see what kind of programs he has.

So, does everyone think a entry level Lucasi is better than the Action cue?

Chalks Billiards
10-29-2003, 09:22 PM
Another option to think about is a Dufferin sneaky pete. They are a well made cue and are around 80 bucks. I sell both Action cues and Dufferins and prefer the hit of the Dufferin.

Scott Lee
10-30-2003, 06:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote buddha162:</font><hr> Hello Scott,

I know the cues are manufactured in the same factory, but there is definitely a quality difference between Action and Lucasi. I've known several strong players ditch their Schon or Joss or even customs and switch to Lucasis. I've never heard of anyone ditching any cue for an Action.

Roger <hr /></blockquote>

Roger...There is only 1 Lucasi at the low end ($120+). It is plain. Cueless wants to spend $80, on a cue that he likes the looks of. The difference in quality will be marginal at best, until you spend a lot more money. The Elite Series Action cues are equal to the Lucasi low-end cues, and retail for under $150.

BTW, ever hear of Johnny Archer or Corey Dueul? They both use cues manufactured by the same Chinese company, and marketed by Cuestix (maker of Action)...of course they're getting PAID to use them too! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I do agree that the Lucasi cues are well made and play well, for a reasonable price.

Scott Lee

snipershot
10-30-2003, 01:13 PM
Cueless, I bought an action cue a little over a month ago and to date have been very pleased with how well it's played. I payed about $150 for mine which is a reasonable price, shop around though and weigh your options as there is alot of cues to choose from.