PDA

View Full Version : Sneaking up on bar bangers

Wally_in_Cincy
10-29-2003, 08:12 AM
This was lifted from the "favorite hustle" thread. I thought it was worth repeating.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> This reminds me of a night a bunch of us went out to a local bar on a Friday night. This was in, I think, July or August of 2001.

There was an obnoxious idiot at the bar table, trying to impress some girl. It was pretty empty in the place, as I recall, so the few locals that were in there were watching the pool table.

Any of us could've whipped this boy around a little bit, but we decided to go all the way. So we sicced Mika on him.

When we later told him that he was playing the current World Pool Champion, I think he may have peed himself.

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Can you imagine? LOL

I've read some great stories here about CCBers thumping some egomaniac bar players. I would love to hear more.

Personally I'm an OK player, good enough to beat most bar players, but I don't usually run racks. The best stories involve my girlfriend. She plays about the same speed I do (APA 5).

This has happened at least a dozen times. We'll go into a bar to have a drink or a bite to eat and naturally I'll put my quarters up.

The local pool god will say "We're playing partners. You got a partner?"

I will say "Well I guess my girlfriend can be my partner" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif .

The guys eyes will light up and he'll say "We're playing for a drink a game".

Naturally I agree and my girlfriend proceeds to whup their butts.

Anybody have any good stories? Don't you love putting these guys in their place /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

bolo
10-29-2003, 09:15 AM
"Don't you love putting these guys in their place"

What does that mean exactly?
Why is putting someone down or embarrassing someone when it comes to pool, so high on many peoples priority list. If your girl friend can beat the guy so what. Even the term "Banger" annoys me. What gives someone the right to refer to another player in a derogatory way? Just because they are not very good at pool or are out having a good time, they should be put down? I see this all too often around pool. Why does being ably to beat some at a game of pool, somehow make them a better person? I am not picking on you, just your story sounded so typical, the "We showed him" attitude.

Kato
10-29-2003, 09:17 AM
I was on vacation with my friend Suzayn about 5 years ago in Islamorada (Florida Keys) and we were in a bar called Hog Heaven. I was playing on the table (black light don't ya know) and these guys were a little wasted and started yapping, yapping, yapping. Of course she jumps up (remember, I'm an APA 6 and she's an APA 4, to her I'm a god) and proceeds to tell them that I'll play 'em for money. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif We ended up going to this bar called The Whistle Stop and played some. They were wasted. She kept on 'em, "What's your rating huh? What's your rating?" I had to inform her that not everyone played APA and had a rating. Anyway, I beat the one guy for a little bread and we decided to play partners, great way for them to get their money back. They were giggling and having a great time. Lost a few hundred bucks, paid for all our drinks, left about $7 worth of quarters on the table and bought us a shot on the way out.

Needless to say I had to give Susy a lesson on matching up with drunk guys the next day.

This last weekend the SPIRIT Tour was in my home pool room so I got into some raffles (I've been lucky remember) and won the 50/50 and something else but I wasn't there. I got the money but the other prize went to someone else. One of the prizes was a pink glove. "R.J., do you realize how many bars you could have busted wearing that pink glove /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif" and I say, "Richie, how many bullet holes do you think I'd aquire?"

Kato

CrispyFish
10-29-2003, 09:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bolo:</font><hr> Quote

Why is putting someone down or embarrassing someone when it comes to pool, so high on many peoples priority list. If your girl friend can beat the guy so what. Even the term "Banger" annoys me. What gives someone the right to refer to another player in a derogatory way? Just because they are not very good at pool or are out having a good time, they should be put down? I see this all too often around pool. Why does being ably to beat some at a game of pool, somehow make them a better person? I am not picking on you, just your story sounded so typical, the "We showed him" attitude.
<hr /></blockquote>
I agree. There are many ways to enjoy pool. To each his/her own.

That said, I do like to see guys get whooped on by girls, because too many guys have the attitude that it's unacceptable to be beaten by a woman. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-CF

Wally_in_Cincy
10-29-2003, 09:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bolo:</font><hr> Quote

Why is putting someone down or embarrassing someone when it comes to pool, so high on many peoples priority list. If your girl friend can beat the guy so what.

<font color="blue">Geez bolo you're such a curmudgeon /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

This is supposed to be a light-hearted discussion. No embarassment was intended. </font color>

Even the term "Banger" annoys me. What gives someone the right to refer to another player in a derogatory way?

<font color="blue">You're right I should not have used that word. I thought about changing it before I posted. Reason being I myself am a banger. The name of my Thursday night league team is the "Bangers". And anybody that has read my past posts knows that I have never claimed to be anything more than a banger. </font color>

Just because they are not very good at pool or are out having a good time, they should be put down?

<font color="blue">I'm talking about cocky people who think they are hot stuff on the table.

Believe me, if I am in a place where people are shooting pool and just having a good time and are obviously no good, I won't even put my quarters up. If they look like they can hold a stick I may play them. If I beat them bad I will quit after a couple games. I find no joy in embarassing someone in that situation. I've stated that before too. </font color>

I see this all too often around pool. Why does being ably to beat some at a game of pool, somehow make them a better person?

<font color="blue">I never said that </font color>

I am not picking on you, just your story sounded so typical, the "We showed him" attitude.

<font color="blue">Sorry you misunderstood my intent or the tone of my post. </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

RUNaRAK
10-29-2003, 10:08 AM
Wally,

I saw no harm in your post. It was very clear to me that you were not attacking! Too bad some people take things way too seriously. Keep on banging! It's a great game.

Rod
10-29-2003, 11:32 AM
Some years ago, well lets make that late 60's in the LA area. I was playing with a couple of friends in a local bar. Normally I just fooled around and usually didn't even try to play. At this point I may have looked like the banger! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

In walks a couple and orders a drink, the girl strolls over and puts her quarter on the table. As I recall my friend had just won the game. The girl racks the balls and asks in a direct manner; do you want to play for $5? Jim, my friend says no, I don't play that well but my friend will play you some.

I said sure, lets play. I won the first game and I noticed she could play a little. Her BF steps up and plays the next, which I won. The girl comes back up and asks to play for $10. I won that game and her BF steps back up and wants to play for twenty. He is going to high roll me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I know they can play, and a 20 dollar bet on a lazy Sunday afternoon is good money especially for this bar. Many people didn't even make over $5 an hour.

The game was on, except it didn't last very long. He lost two more games and quit. I offered to buy them a drink but they declined and had to leave. I asked them if they're from the area, thinking they might want to come back in again. The guy replys, no we live quite a ways north, something to that effect. I said Oh, ok, enjoyed the game, you both play pretty good. The girl replys, yes, "well we are Instructors for the Willie Mosconi Billiard Academy". /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I think they said it was in North Hollywood. I did have some chuckles with the guys afterwards and found out my friend Jim won $20 on the side. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif At that time I had already run over a hundred and within a year or so hit the road for two years.

Who was the bangars? Well, my friends were. Mostly this story was brought about in memory of my friend Jimmy Geese. He was the best, and was killed about two years later in a motorcycle accident. He never even rode a bike, it was his first one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rod

9 Ball Girl
10-29-2003, 11:45 AM
About a month and a half ago, a bar opened up about 3 blocks away from where I work. Well, actually it was renovated. It's 2 floors with a 7 footer on the 2nd floor. My coworkers told me about it and the best part was that it was free to play! I had to show the bartender how to get the balls to come out because she told me that people would ask her and she couldn't figure it out.

Anyway, about 3 Fridays ago, I went after work to kill time before heading out to the pool hall. There was no one on the table so I figure I'd shoot around by myself. As soon as the unmistakable sound of the balls coming down was heard by some of those sitting at the bar, I got someone to play with. I beat him, and his friend, and every other guy that came up to play. Unbeknownst to me, the owner was up there watching me as the bartender would give me a free beer for every 5th guy that I beat in a row. I owned the table probably for about 1.5 hour and then left to go to the poolhall.

Last Friday again I go after work. I noticed the table wasn't free anymore and I asked Roger the coowner why that was. He said that Tom the owner had seen me beating the guys and realized that he was losing money on the pooltable 'cause it was free! It's my fault that it's not free anymore! Oh well.

So I get there last Friday, found a couple of guys that I know, put my name up on the list, and it was finally my turn about 1/2 hour later. I got on the table at 6:47 PM. The characters I was beating were all fun, some gave me the "you got me 'cause I've had too much to drink" line but they were fun nonetheless and showed respect. Some would buy me a drink after beating them which was nice. At one point this one character comes up and proceeds to wear a pool glove and was really serious but I beat him too. I think between the atmosphere, the music coming out of the jukebox, the audience, and the fact that I kept sending some of the guys back to their barstool next to their girlfriends was a plus! But it was all in good fun. Some shot pretty well but if they made a mistake, I would clean it up. I'll be going again this Friday and try to do it again. Oh yeah, I finally gave up the table at 10 PM! I hadn't lost but I had to go! When I was walking out, some of the guys patted me on the back. That was nice. One guy had asked me why I looked so serious and I told him that I couldn't help but have the killer mentality even though we're just playing for fun.

This was at the bar last Friday afternoon before the night's massacre /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif. That's me in the middle:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/p72920bf22977d7f6a9cae5617fc85351/fab3cf43.jpg

Scott Lee
10-29-2003, 11:56 AM
Wendy...Gee, can I come along and play some scotch doubles with ya? I'll play 'left-handed' to make it a little more fair for our opponents! LOL Naturally, you'll be holding ME up! Holy cow! You must been blasted after holding the table and drinking free for 3+ hours! LMAO /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott

UWPoolGod
10-29-2003, 01:04 PM
I don't know....homedude shooting only had two balls left and the 8 LOL...must have knocked his last ball next to the 8 and screwed himself LOL.

UWPoolGod
10-29-2003, 01:09 PM
There's a guy that I play regularly (every couple of weeks) for $5/rack...but he wants to play straight-8 instead of BIH...which is fine. Actually better for the better player who never scratches and conveniently keeps leaving the opponent banks down the stretch. Several times he hasn't quit, or upped the bet, until he is down $140 over 3+ hours and quits. In his mind he doesn't care about the money but you'd think he qould quit after being down even 10 games.

9 Ball Girl
10-29-2003, 01:14 PM
Scott, I was gone!!! I had 2 mugs of MGD, 4 mugs of LSD, and 3 Watermelon shots. I tried to get Naz to come with me 3 weeks ago--we would've cleaned up the joint!

Wendy&lt;---Mean Gene would've been proud!

CrispyFish
10-29-2003, 01:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>4 mugs of LSD<hr /></blockquote>
That's a whole lotta acid... /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

-CF

nAz
10-29-2003, 02:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Scott, I was gone!!! I had 2 mugs of MGD, 4 mugs of LSD, and 3 Watermelon shots. I tried to get Naz to come with me 3 weeks ago--we would've cleaned up the joint!

Wendy&lt;---Mean Gene would've been proud! <hr /></blockquote>

those Yahoos are not ready for me /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kato
10-29-2003, 02:57 PM
That's "Vomit City U.S.A."
/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Kato

Tom_In_Cincy
10-29-2003, 08:09 PM
Wally,

I've posted this story before, but your post reminded me about it.. so here goes

In the early to mid 90s at the Golden Tee pool hall in Sharronville OH, not far from Snookers, Greg R. and Bobby R. were playing some One Pocket on a Saturday nite.. (they had been playing all afternoon too) and two young college men challenged Greg and Bobby to partners 8 ball, $5 per man. After 4 games, and 4 runouts, and $40 down, the two men pulled up and asked, if Greg and Bobby were PROs.

Apparently these two young guys thought Greg and Bobby couldn't make a ball (while paying One Pocket, I guess to the un-experienced eye, Greg and Bobby were easy marks)

Sneaking up on Bar Bangers.. yeah.. right..

'Rail Bangers' is a great term. Fits the people attempting to play pool IMO exactly.

Keith Talent
10-29-2003, 10:31 PM
Wally,

Don't blame you one bit. Why not have a little fun when some guy with a half-inch bridge is ready to take on the world? Hell, I'd expect the same if I started talking $hit in just about any pool hall in the country ... of course, in a bar it's a lose-lose situation. You beat a few half-drunk turkeys who play 3 times a year and you feel really great, right? And if you get bored or careless and just decide to go for the crazy runout and hide yourself ... well, how impressive is that?

Think that's about what I did last couple of times I went down the street to a local dive. First few appearances, I was playing to win and could hardly lose. Then I come around, and the bartender announces, Hey, here's the hustler! (This w/o even proposing a game for a beer) ... and, naturally, I do dumb things with the heavy cb or give away games in which my opponent hadn't taken a shot.

So who gets humbled there? Maybe Todd could send one of his suckers to my local. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keith Talent
10-29-2003, 10:41 PM
Wendy, that place looks like an OK joint to goof around in. Sounds like you taught them no-nothings a little respect for the beautiful game. BTW, had been meaning to ask ... you know any bars in the city that have an 8-foot table? Been years since I've seen one, and that was in West New York, N.J. Not sure, though, what I'd do with the information right now, with two 19-day-old young'uns in the house needing to be fed every three hours. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9 Ball Girl
10-30-2003, 07:14 AM
I don't really go to bars except for the one near my job. So I don't really know what bar would have an 8 footer.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-30-2003, 07:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>
.....Apparently these two young guys thought Greg and Bobby couldn't make a ball (while paying One Pocket, I guess to the un-experienced eye, Greg and Bobby were easy marks)..... <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

That's classic.

Thanks Tom. I had not heard that one.

I've also been on the receiving end of this situation. I was slapping balls around at the Reef one Friday and beating all the regulars. This unknown 65 year-old guy put his quarters up. He spanked me good about 4 games. Turns out he was down from Dayton on business and he was a regular at Airway /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif . Don't recall the name.

Wally~~got "put in his place" that day /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
10-30-2003, 07:28 AM
I drank lots of water before I left to flush it out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Didn't get sick!

9 Ball Girl
10-30-2003, 07:30 AM
So check this one out:

I go to the bar last night with my coworker (the one shooting in my picture). Two older guys come in, one played alright, the other one played a whole lot better. The much better one had to be in his early 60s.

I played the alright one first and I beat him. Calling shots, kisses--standard bar rules. The 60ish year old one is up, I break, and I run it out but got snookered behind one of his balls barely seeing the 8. He then chirps up and says, "You've gotta hit the 8 ball or you lose." I went 2 rails, hit the 8, but then he had a shot on his last 3 balls and then pocket the 8. "Good shooting", I said after shaking his hand. He then played my coworker who happens to get to the 8 ball first. My coworker shoots at the 8 ball, completely misses the 8 ball, but they keep playing anyway. Now, I'm thinking that my coworker should've lost because the same guy told me that I had to hit the 8 ball or lose. Anyway, my coworker wins that one and I'm up again.

I beat my coworker, the alright player was suppose to be up but the 60ish year old man wants to play me again in his friends place. While he was racking, I walked over to my coworker and told him, "I'm not gonna let him beat me again. He's got it in for me 'cause you noticed he made me have to hit the 8 ball and he didn't make you do it." My coworker agreed. So I break, nothing drops, the guy makes 2 balls, misses, I run it out and pocket the 8. The man says, "I can't stand it!" Whatever. His friend was up but the 60ish wants to play me again in place of his friend. As I'm shooting, the 60ish year old man bumps the butt of my cue while I'm shooting at my last OB. I know it was purposely done 'cause I had excused myself so that he could get out of the way. When I get down to the 8 ball, he starts yapping away about how it's a hard shot and blah blah blah. I pocket it and win.

Again he says, "I can't stand it!". I said, "What you can't stand losing, me either." He said, "No, I can't stand losing to a woman." I said, "Oh so that's why you made me hit the 8 ball and you didn't make my friend hit it." He said, "That's right. You're not too bad. For a woman." /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wendy&lt;---the guy was a real ****smoker!

Wally_in_Cincy
10-30-2003, 07:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>

....."You've gotta hit the 8 ball or you lose.".....<hr /></blockquote>

I guess it's about time to start a thread about the evergreen topic "Stupid bar rules" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks for the story. Hope that 60ish guy didn't have a stroke /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Brent
10-31-2003, 01:52 AM
Nice work Wendy...thank god there arent any girls who can shoot better than me in Estonia /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

TomBrooklyn
11-05-2003, 08:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bolo:</font><hr> Why is putting someone down or embarrassing someone when it comes to pool, so high on many peoples priority list. Why does being ably to beat some at a game of pool, somehow make them a better person? <hr /></blockquote>Competition of all sorts is used to establish a pecking order of skill. Winning at games such as pool is one of the gentile things that has replaced fighting and physical intimidation as the primary means to establish superiority and pecking order amongst persons, particularly men.

For millions of years prior to the establishment of civilized society which has only existed for several thousand years, leadership and it's attendant power was garnered mainly by fighting and/or physically subjugating one's potential opponents for it.

Also, the strongest males were the most desirable to females as they were the most likely to be able to provide them with healthy offspring and to be able to defend them from rapists and maurauding hordes. This was especially important in those times that lacked modern medicine and infant mortality rates were astronomical compared to today. Further, the leadership positions of these men usually enhanced their fiscal viability which attacted women who wanted men who could afford to care for her and the baby.

Nowadays, strength and physical prowess is no longer the main criteria to establish a pecking order for leadership in males, although it is still an attraction to women. Sports and games have replaced fighting and killing as a means to demonstrate physical and other prowess. It are these underlying motivations that have been instilled in men for millions of years that are still at work.

TomBk

bolo
11-05-2003, 09:37 PM
WoW!!! You have really thought this out, nice post.

Hopster
11-05-2003, 10:02 PM
I have never had any good experiences in bars and have seen way too many beefs over B.S. so if i want to play i go to a hall. That plus the fact i quit drinking 10 years ago and i have less reason than ever to go into a bar.
Anyway, 3 days ago a guy i know wanted to see me about something and called me and asked me to meet him at this place he hangs in. So i go there and its a little earlier than i was supposed to be there so i sit at the bar and have a coffee and am shooting the bull with the bartender since the place has only 3 people in it.
Anyway after 20 mins i go to the back and they have 2 pool tables so i get some quarters and rack em and set up a break shot for some straights just to kill time. I wind up running 27 and im laughing since i havent played in about 2 months on account of a pulled back muscle.
After the first rack this guy who was at the bar comes over and starts watching and whne i missed the 28th says "Good shooting". I say thanks and he asks if i want to play some 8 ball. I said no thank you and he says no problem.
My friend comes in and we sit and talk for about a half hour and we hear a commotion coming from the back , yelling and whatnot. So we go take a look and its the guy who wanted to play me and some other guy beefing about the game and they were getting hot, the bartender came back and told them to knock it off or get the F out. So it ended.
We go back and sit down i told my buddy that the guy wanted to play me bfeore he got there. He said good thing you didnt play him cause hes always getting into it with someone over something stupid.
Now i know a lot of folks here play in bars and have a good time and what have you but to me it just aint worth it to have to deal with drunks and beefs over a $5 or $10 game of eight ball and someone gets hurt for nothing. I seen it way too many times.
Anyway just thought i would throw that out there.