PDA

View Full Version : bar safeties

clicious421
10-29-2003, 12:06 PM
Maybe someone can help me. I am wondering why people get so bent out of shape when I play defense on a bar table, in fact they have a really nasty term for it.

Steve Lipsky
10-29-2003, 12:17 PM
Clicious,

If you find yourself playing against one of these people, you really need to leave the table as soon as possible. You will do nothing but hurt your game.

In the words of Ron Shepard (RSB), these people do not want to play pool, they want to have a pillow fight.

Might as well flip coins, really.

- Steve

Scott Lee
10-29-2003, 12:24 PM
Here's all you have to do. Before you start, ask them, "Do you play League rules or bar rules?" If they say bar rules, you already know that, first, they probably have no clue about playing pool...and second, are the ones most likely to cause a ruckus when you play a safety. "League" players are all used to B-I-H (ball in hand) rules, and know that safety play is part of the game!

Sid_Vicious
10-29-2003, 12:30 PM
You got to play safeties sneakily, use their backward mentality toward BCA rules againt them, just do it "accidentally" if you know what I mean....sid~~~done it all of my life

ChrisW
10-29-2003, 12:41 PM
So true,
I can't tell you how many times I put on an act like I'm upset for missing when really I just played a great safety.

Chris

UWPoolGod
10-29-2003, 12:43 PM
Yeah there are all sorts of ways to "accidentally" leave someone safe. They don't even have to be hid. "Barely" miss a ball and leave it in the jaws right in front of one of your opponents balls. Leave em a bank shot, leave em a long thin cut. Just don't duck out and roll your ball behind another one of yours cause that might make em get pissed. But Professor Lee is right...make sure everyone knows what they are playing beforehand and then you know what type of pool is acceptable. Although I have found some people still get mad even playing BIH when someone plays a safe...but that is what separates the men from the boys.

koolcuedude
10-29-2003, 02:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote clicious421:</font><hr> Maybe someone can help me. I am wondering why people get so bent out of shape when I play defense on a bar table, in fact they have a really nasty term for it. <hr /></blockquote>

Don't do it, they will kick your head in, if you play safe, disquise it and make sure it looks good, don't do this too much or they will get wise.

ras314
10-29-2003, 03:24 PM
Bar rules, gentleman's rules, whatever, have one thing in commom, you are supposed to make it look like you tried to make your ball. After all most bar rules require you to call the shot. Or at least try to hit to ob. With no penatly for a bad hit how else can it be a game? Ever seen two jerks push back and forth, till one wants to call a draw? Used to happen in 9 ball before the BIH rules became popular.

Worse yet is delibertely scratching when your opponent has the 8 ball behind the head string so he has to kick at it. Why the heck one has to play an awful shot because of the other guys foul is beyond me.

Sid_Vicious
10-29-2003, 05:19 PM
"Worse yet is delibertely scratching when your opponent has the 8 ball behind the head string so he has to kick at it. Why the heck one has to play an awful shot because of the other guys foul is beyond me."

Correct me if I've read your statement wrong here, but I'll certainly "accidentally" carom or follow into a hole for a scratch if the other guy is in the kitchen with the eight as a final ball. Reason I say that with no hint of guilt is because these "bar rule believing fools" want to protect those dopey rules with an iron fist, so I say "Screw'em every chance by their own rules." They should wake up to BIH rules is all I gotta say...sid

Cueless Joey
10-29-2003, 05:26 PM
I was at a bar one time.
One player played safe.
The other guy used the n word.
I guess he calls playing safe that.
Ugly. He promptly pushed his cueball and made the other shoot where the cb was.
Why don't bar owners just get rid of all the striped balls except the 9-ball? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
10-29-2003, 06:12 PM
Ya and they are the first to try a shot leave you safe and act like they tried to make the ball. It's all BS and I hate it more than anyone in the country.

When I run across someone like that I go out of my way to drill them.

C.C.~~now I'm mad for the nite.

bolo
10-29-2003, 06:34 PM
You are not playing with pool players players don't act like that. Just play by whatever rules they want to play by, and don't worry too much about it.

bolo
10-29-2003, 06:39 PM
"Used to happen in 9 ball before the BIH rules became popular".

Most of the time if you were the first one to foul, you were on one. First one to get three in a row would lose the game. Either that or the guy could make you keep shooting till you made a good hit, or he liked the shot.

Candyman
10-29-2003, 07:20 PM
Quote ras314: Worse yet is delibertely scratching when your opponent has the 8 ball behind the head string so he has to kick at it. Why the heck one has to play an awful shot because of the other guys foul is beyond me.
----------------------------------------------------------
I had this exact same thing happen last weekend. This guy scratches on purpose and leaves me behind the line with the eight a diamond out and over from the corner pocket. He goes over to his stool with this hugh smirk on his face and hugs up on his girl friend,like "look what I just did? I am so smart!" Well, thanks to Scott Lee's lesson on the third diamond rule, I drilled the shot. Every now and then a plan comes together. Thanks for the moment Scott. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

ras314
10-29-2003, 07:33 PM
First time I saw BIH 9 ball it was after 3 pushes in a row. Mostly agreed on by the players after the pushes became a problem. I have seen 10 or more pushes in a row, leaving no shot. Something sure had to change.

Haven't played in a long time, the BIH 8 ball was a whole new game to me. I like it much better, also not having to call every little kiss is a big improvement.

ras314
10-29-2003, 07:50 PM
"Correct me if I've read your statement wrong here, but I'll certainly "accidentally" carom or follow into a hole for a scratch if the other guy is in the kitchen with the eight as a final ball. Reason I say that with no hint of guilt is because these "bar rule believing fools" want to protect those dopey rules with an iron fist, so I say "Screw'em every chance by their own rules." They should wake up to BIH rules is all I gotta say...sid "

No, you didn't read my comment wrong. Ever try to wake up a bunch of bar "players"? We tried to switch to BCA rules several times, never heard such squalling from grownups in my life.

Of course I'd never take advantage of stupid rules. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
10-29-2003, 08:27 PM
Tap, Tap, Tap.

Steve's got it nailed....

Keith Talent
10-29-2003, 10:58 PM
One bar I've dropped in on has maybe the opposite problem ... it's on a strip of hotels near Times Square and attracts a fair number of Euro tourists. They LOVE tap safeties, at the most inappropriate times to a Yank shooter. Can lead to some frustrating moments, espcially when you're waiting to get on the table.

If I'm the target of that, I'll just tap it back, not even bothering to touch a rail, since there's no bar rule to cover it. Really annoys them.

At least in NYC, you generally get to spot the ball in the kitchen after a scratch.

Brent
10-29-2003, 11:34 PM
Man I dont know how you can even deal with those bangers with ur bar rules on 7 foot coin-ops /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Every time I play some stranger for some drinks or something and if the cb or the ob doesnt touch the bank or he just makes the tip touch the cb 2 times due to no room between cb and ob.....I get so mad and always think if the beer is really worth playing without rules /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Keith Talent
10-29-2003, 11:45 PM
You got it ... ain't worth it. Been months since I've bothered, but the bar-banging threads have me thinking on it. Guess I'll resist the temptation.

jbullerjr
10-30-2003, 05:09 AM
I used to hate it when people would scratch on purpose when the 8 is my last ball and behind the head string.

One guy was real bad, wouldn't even try to shoot at a ball just step up and BAM, cue ball corner/side pocket. I had been playing BCA rules at another place and was trying to get them started at this tournament. But no one was going for it.

I devised revenge (and a lesson) though...If the 8 was say two diamonds down on the side rail, or really anywhere except frozen to the head rail, I would simply tap the cue ball behind the eight for a safe.

This would usually cause some problems, as I am supposed to try and make the ball by kicking out of the kitchen. I would then just shoot the eight out of the kitchen and tie it up with one of his balls or leave him no shot (once again, with out kicking).

"YOU HAVE TO TRY AND MAKE THE 8 BY KICKING!!!" he would scream.
"Right, just like you tried to make a ball when you fired in the cue ball."

He started to see the advantage of bih and a set of rules that did not changed from bar to bar.

Scott Lee
10-30-2003, 05:59 AM
Lock...Glad it worked for you! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jjinfla
10-30-2003, 03:44 PM
The guys in the bars where I play are all okay, no hot heads, and as long as I come in the money more often than not, I can deal with all these different rules. And I find that some of the guys who complain the most about anyone playing safe actually just hide it better when they play safe. So when I see them play safe I am quick to point it out. I never play safe, but sometimes I just happen to get lucky. Amazing how that happens.

bigdawg
10-30-2003, 04:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> The guys in the bars where I play are all okay, no hot heads, and as long as I come in the money more often than not, I can deal with all these different rules. And I find that some of the guys who complain the most about anyone playing safe actually just hide it better when they play safe. So when I see them play safe I am quick to point it out. I never play safe, but sometimes I just happen to get lucky. Amazing how that happens. <hr /></blockquote>

Your little secret is safe with me.

Sid_Vicious
10-30-2003, 05:05 PM
Yea waking them up isn't possible in most cases, but I will use their rule set to my advantage, and I am not talking about drilling in CBs on purpose, I'm talking about putting on a bit of a show. It's fairly easy to play a miss down table and leave the guy hooked with my trouble ball, and make it look like I tried to make the ball. There are LOTS of advantages one can take in this arena, but you have to always remember when NOT TO WIN also. You sometimes win by losing, especially in bars...sid

Rod
10-30-2003, 07:44 PM
Because most people that play in bars just drink and shoot pool. Most people that bar hop just drink and shoot pool. Notice the basic story line here. Some are becoming educated but don't hold your breath. If you want, you can educate them or explain a different set of rules. That's you decision, personally if I played, I'd play by their rules or just not play, which is what I usually do. I try to avoid bars with dumb ass rules.

Rod