PDA

View Full Version : House rules in taverns

Wally_in_Cincy
10-30-2003, 08:03 AM
This ground has been well trodden but perhaps an update is in order. It's interesting how it varies around the country.

House rules in taverns:

You can't carom the 8 off another ball.

If you don't hit an object ball it's a "table scratch" and the opponent gets BIH in the kitchen.

A "scoop" jump shot is perfectly acceptable.

And a classic from 9BG: "If you don't hit the 8, you lose"

Kato
10-30-2003, 08:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> A "scoop" jump shot is perfectly acceptable.<hr /></blockquote>

Wally, doesn't everyone know this? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kato~~~2 scoops /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stickman
10-30-2003, 09:05 AM
I saw a funny one at the poolhall a while back. Two young guys were playing on the table next to me, and when the cueball came to rest on a rail, they would pickup the cueball and place it the width of the butt of their stick away from the rail. I saw another couple of them doing this since then. I thought this went out sometime back in the late sixies. LOL
I had to wonder what they would do if after the cueball stopped on a rail, another ball rolled up directly against it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UWPoolGod
10-30-2003, 09:14 AM
Probably move it to the side LOL Dumb.

I don't really have any...other than a "meat" shoot tournament next to my house has BIH rules...but "slop" also counts. So if nothing else spray and pray if you know you aren't going to scratch.

Todd &lt;--- still hates the 8-ball rule of calling safe and pocketing your ball, then not having to shoot again. Doesn't stop me from using it though.

Kato
10-30-2003, 09:29 AM
We used that rule when we were kids. I thought that's how you played /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Saw it just a few months ago. Had to cut 'em some slack, they were racking at the wrong end of the table /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kato

pooltchr
10-30-2003, 09:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> when the cueball came to rest on a rail, they would pickup the cueball and place it the width of the butt of their stick away from the rail. <hr /></blockquote>

Maybe they think they are playing "Putt Putt" /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

ras314
10-30-2003, 09:57 AM
"If you don't hit an object ball it's a "table scratch" and the opponent gets BIH in the kitchen."

Never ran across that one in a bar. Presumably the cb has to hit something past the headstring before making a called ob in the kitchen. Those kind of safetys could be detrimental to your health. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Have seen if a called 8 ball doesn't go in you lose.

UWPoolGod
10-30-2003, 10:34 AM
LOL. Don't you find it funny how some people go to great lengths to rack at the wrong side of the table. Especially when there are ball returns. They will take the balls out and roll them to the headspot to break LOL. And not have a place to keep the rack they set it ona chair. Geez.

Iowashark
10-30-2003, 11:10 AM
I played in an on-campus tournament couple years ago that was playing 'Greek' rules. This was apparently to honor all the fraternities. They played if you're on the 8 and you don't make contact with it, it's a loss. And these guys being privy to the rules would never fail to accidentally carom my last ball in leaving me safetied on the eight...jump cues and masse shots were not allowed, and it was a nightmare. First and last time I ever played in that tournament. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

NBC-BOB
10-30-2003, 01:55 PM
The rules vary so much, from tavern to tavern.I played a guy 8 ball, when I was in Canada, and ran out the rack and pocketed the 8 ball. He said you lose! I said why is that and he said you have to bank the 8 ball, look at the rules on the wall!I guess if I play for another 40 yrs, I'll learn to ask the rules before I start shooting ha-ha.

Cueless Joey
10-30-2003, 02:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NBC-BOB:</font><hr> The rules vary so much, from tavern to tavern.I played a guy 8 ball, when I was in Canada, and ran out the rack and pocketed the 8 ball. He said you lose! I said why is that and he said you have to bank the 8 ball, look at the rules on the wall!I guess if I play for another 40 yrs, I'll learn to ask the rules before I start shooting ha-ha. <hr /></blockquote>
You know there are a ton of these boneheads in bars.
I "lost" one time b/c my 8-ball did not go in clean.
I look at the guy and asked him " you have 6 balls in the table and you want to win?"

Candyman
10-30-2003, 03:23 PM
Maybe they are playing winter rules. Like in golf where you get a club legnth.Lol.

jjinfla
10-30-2003, 03:28 PM
What's really funny is when you get into a "discussion" about some rule and then realize you are not in the bar you thought you were in. Nothing to do but say "oops"

And lately we play that if you miss your ball then the person either plays the CB where it is or BIH in the kitchen.

And how many guys will argue that you have to have the 1 ball on the spot when you rack for 8-ball?

Jake

Nostroke
10-30-2003, 04:21 PM
How about the old "Its not a scratch if you dont hit the 8 ball long as you go 3 rails"!

Too many arguments about the rules- Just one more reason not to play 8 ball.

Ralph S.
10-30-2003, 05:37 PM
As we all have suffered and endured these moronic rules in bar-room pool, icluding the rule that you have to call all kisses, banks, combos, etc., the one thing that still irritates the hell out of me to this day is that they will argue incessantly that these rules are the way real pool is played. They say BIH or TE rules are not real pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rod
10-30-2003, 07:16 PM
Lets face it, if we decide to go into any establishment, well a bar anyway, we deserve what we get. The avg joe bloe and or wife trudy and their friends are the ones that set these dumb ass rules. "Another round for my friends", loved that movie. Either live with them, for that time frame, or move along lil dogie. No since bitching about dumb ass rules or the ones that think its real deal.

~~~rod, it pisses me off too !! LOL

9 Ball Girl
10-30-2003, 09:54 PM
Hey, didn't you post some time ago about racks? Made me LMAO when you said something about being stuck between Moron Table #1 and Moron Table #3. Oh man that's still a kneeslapper!

9 Ball Girl
10-30-2003, 09:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> And a classic from 9BG: "If you don't hit the 8, you lose"
<hr /></blockquote>Apparantly, the old geezer wasn't the only who thought that the rule. I'll play whatever rule they want to play by, but for God's sake!, tell me before I start the game let alone while I'm shooting at the 8 ball!

ras314
10-30-2003, 10:47 PM
"I'll play whatever rule they want to play by"

Yeah, that's what I used to say before I ran across BIH rules. Went about $200 down at $5 a pop before it dawned on me this was a whole different game, better learn how to play safeties.

Perk
10-31-2003, 07:15 AM
In a bar, I wont even argue or discuss any type of rule other than what they play. I figure my odds are still considerably higher than theirs, even with their rules.

My father has only played in bars/bowling alleys all his life. He is quit good actually. Well, I invited him over to watch some Nascar, and then we started shooting some pool on my table. I am trying to play BIH rules, and even tried to explain it to him, and I had to hear the "real pool" story. He would just keep the CB where it was, or shoot behind the diamonds on a scratch. He wouldnt even take any type of kiss off other balls unless it was called. Thats the way he always played, and he wasnt about to change. So I figure if I cannot get my father to play with these so called "new rules", then there is no sense ever arguing or trying to get some banger to play that way in a bar.

jjinfla
10-31-2003, 08:36 AM
Lost $200 at $5 a game?

Sounds like you better learn more than the rules. Or you are a slow learner if it took you 40 games to realize something was wrong.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-31-2003, 09:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr>
...The avg joe bloe and or wife trudy and their friends are the ones that set these dumb ass rules.

....No since bitching about dumb ass rules.... <hr /></blockquote>

I was going to call this thread "Stupid bar rules" but I was afraid bolo would holler at me again /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ras314
10-31-2003, 09:27 AM
"Sounds like you better learn more than the rules."

I plead guilty to that one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well, it was after a 10 year layoff, back in the 80's Figured I could get back to speed much sooner than it took. Also took more than 40 games over a weekend. First $100 did go too quick. Didn't take long to learn the rules, just a long time to realize playing decent safeties is as important as good shotmaking. Point is BIH in hand is a whole different game.

Being way too cocky I had picked out the best player in the pool hall that would play for as little as $5. Give him a BIH and you were toast. Actually all he needed was an open shot. I try to look at these fisacoes as getting a benifical lesson. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Starting to play a little again, after a year I'm still disgusted with my poor showing. Suspect it is directly related to not playing in serious games.

Rod
10-31-2003, 10:25 AM
Yes the boy seems a little testy at times! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sid_Vicious
03-06-2004, 11:36 AM
"And a classic from 9BG: "If you don't hit the 8, you lose"

Oh I'd be a cruel MF'r by "accidentally" bumping the CB into a ugly situation after his college try at running all of his balls off the table. Bar rule players should see the obvious advantages taken against them with these rules from the dinasaur age...sid

sack316
03-06-2004, 01:18 PM
I'll always remember a great game I shot where everything was falling into place. Had to take a thin cut on the 8 ball to the far end of the table and made it. Too bad the guy said I lost because the 8 clipped the rail before it went in and I of course did not call it off the rail. grrrr.

hadenball
03-07-2004, 11:10 PM
I had my Sister n law try that one on me when she first moved to Florida &amp; I informed her it did count as long as I called it off another ball.That's how they play in Rochester New York, also one league here is played 8-ball clean.

In this area of Florida there are 6 different 8-ball leagues and 6 different sets of rules. So when you play 8-ball here you know you better ask what the rules are before you play.

Keith Talent
03-08-2004, 11:16 AM
It's amazing, all the goofy rules dreamed up by lousy players who desperately want to win, and, I guess, bar owners who want to boost table turnover.

Is there any other game where you have to reinvent the wheel each time you play a stranger?

I mean, if you, say, go to a public tennis court anywhere and pick up a game, it's not like somebody's going to argue that you get three serves. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bigshooter
03-08-2004, 12:17 PM
I used to have that problem when I went back to my home state in the middle of farm country my brother in law would brag me up (told him not to - didn't help) about how great I could play so all the farm boys wanted to play me but they would have a ton of goofy rules.
Shoot from the kitchen on a scratch.
8 - has to go where your last pocketed ball goes.
8 - has to go clean.
So by the time I ended up kicking and banking the eight about a million times trying to get it to my pocket the other guy has had a million times to shoot his balls and over half the time the game ends on an 8 ball scratch anyway.
So they all end up thinking they are tournament caliber players because after all I only beat them about half the time and only by one or two balls when I did.
And by the way I'm not knocking farm boys because I am one but the rules in those little bars in the middle of nowhere get pretty goofy.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Cueless Joey
03-08-2004, 12:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr> It's amazing, all the goofy rules dreamed up by lousy players who desperately want to win, and, I guess, bar owners who want to boost table turnover.

Is there any other game where you have to reinvent the wheel each time you play a stranger?

I mean, if you, say, go to a public tennis court anywhere and pick up a game, it's not like somebody's going to argue that you get three serves. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Ain't that the truth.
Some idiot would sometimes claim he won if you missed the 8-ball.