PDA

View Full Version : Rifle shoots round corners?????

Qtec
10-30-2003, 08:25 AM
What can I say.

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/TECH/ptech/10/29/laser.cannon.ap/story.cornershot.ap.jpg

Q

eg8r
10-30-2003, 08:58 AM
Heading seems kind of misleading. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I thought they had some major breakthrough and found a way to make bullets turn corners.

eg8r

stickman
10-30-2003, 09:18 AM
Do they make them in shotguns? This might be great for those whylie old turkeys. Instead of sitting in front of a tree, you could hide behind one. LOL

stickman
10-30-2003, 10:10 AM
I just saw this gun on the History Channel, Tales of the Gun. Another interesting gun was one being developed by Colt. Colt was concerned about the school shootings, and the number of police officers shot with their own guns, after it had been taken away from them. The gun looked pretty much like a normal automatic handgun. In order for it to fire, the user has to wear something that looked very much like an ordinary wrist watch on the shooting wrist. If the gun was a small distance away from the wrist band, it would not fire. Colt planned on law enforcement being the first to use these, after they have extensively tested them to be completely reliable. They don't want them out for public consumption until they have run exhaustive testing.

ras314
10-30-2003, 10:59 AM
There have been a lot of scemes to produce a "safe" pistol. Mostly to head off the anti-gun idiots I think. So far none have been reliable.

I know of one indicent where a policeman had his pistol snatched, was a 1911 colt version and the bad guy couldn't operate the safetys to shoot him. Yes, he was carrying it "cocked and locked". He tells me he'd be dead if he had been carrying the popular Glock. So there is some merit to the concept.

There have been a bunch of "shoot around the corner" ideas, usually involving periscopes. Similar concept was the WWI trench rifle that had the real rifle mounted above a dummy stock so you could shoot without sticking your head up. Recoil must have been a real problem.

Cueless Joey
10-30-2003, 01:10 PM
Good for the cop.
I hate those crunchintinker Glock.
Funny that the 1911 to this day is still a great pistol.
How smart was the inventor ( John Browing I think) to have designed a pistol with a thumb and grip safety?
Oh, the Browing P35/Hi-Power. Another great pistol except it has a communist 9MM round. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I have a Sig P220 .45 cal too. What a pistol. Absolutely a delight to shoot with.
I don't know what the use is for these L rifles.
Hell, just spray and pray!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

ras314
10-30-2003, 02:01 PM
" I don't know what the use is for these L rifles."

Well, for shooting little things a long ways off? Or big mean things at short range? Or maybe for us klutzes that can't handle a short gun.

BTW, cop recovered his pistol in the wrestling match, no one got shot.

A present I don't own a auto pistol except for a Ruger match 22. Put a red dot sight on and use it for gopher control.

I always heard most gunfights were in the dark at maybe 10 ft range. So if I'm carrying it is a 357 derringer loaded with three 36 cal round balls per case. Short range stuff that won't over penatrate. Glad I don't live in an area where this sort of thing is a concern.

Browning was the most prolific inventer of useful and reliable firearms ever. IMO

Qtec...can you own firearms in the Netherlands?

nAz
10-30-2003, 02:11 PM
Its good for military urban combat, shoot around the corner with minimum risk and maximum accuracy. I could have used this 10 years ago! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

heater451
10-30-2003, 05:26 PM
I think there was also a design with a computer-solutioned explosive round. I believe that a range finder was used to determine the distance-to-target, and a round was timed to fragment at the proper time. Supposedly, this would damage a target around a corner, or behind cover.

As for Tales of the Gun (unless I've got the wrong show), there was a History Channel bit about Smith & Wesson the other night. These guys were innovators for their time--and they even produced goods for Colt at one time. Check it out, if you get the chance (and like guns or general design/engineering).

=========================

Rod
10-30-2003, 07:55 PM
Those guns have ben in testing for quite a long time. I don't know what the hold up is but they must have a good reason.

About guns that shoot around objects. I think the tank rounds now can be guided to some degree. Tank rounds only need to get close. LOL

Rod

nhp
10-31-2003, 09:34 AM
Rifles that can shoot around corners were used in the Korean War by the USA, I'm not sure if this is the earliest they were ever used in combat.