PDA

View Full Version : BLACK HEART LAMINATED SHAFTS

BLACKHEART
10-30-2003, 08:27 AM
Quit a few people have asked about the "plywood" type laminated shafts,I used on Kato's Q. Other Qmakers are using this type of shaft,but I'll only speak for myself. What I look for in shaft wood, is consistent color, as few blemishes as I can get,straight grain & as many lines of grain as I can get. Grain lines that run from end to end seem to have a better chance of staying straight. The fewer grain lines in a shaft, tend to be lighter in weight & are less likely to give the solid hit that I'm looking for. Looking for these qualities causes me to throw out, at least 1/2 of the shaft wood that I buy. NOW FOR THE LAMINATED SHAFT. I buy wood that has 20 thin layers of maple glued together. Of these I use nearly every one. The grain formed by the glue lines is PERFECTLY straight. They tend to be only slightly heavier & slightly stiffer(because of the glue)than traditional wooden shafts. When turned down into shafts a close look is required to notice that it's not a normal wooden shaft, with a lot of good grain. They look like regular wooden shafts, with exceptional grain AND THAT'S WHAT THE PLAY LIKE. I still turn them 8 times from 1" dowel, to finished shaft, like I do a normal piece of wood,but I'm sure I could get away with less. The many turnings stableize the wood & help keep it straight. I hope this helps you to understand what these shafts are...JER

Kato
10-30-2003, 08:37 AM
All I know is that they hit straight and stroke true. This is a great shaft!!!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato

Rich R.
10-30-2003, 11:19 AM
Jer, if I understand you correctly, there is actually a supplier who makes high quality laminated wood dowels. I was assuming you, and other cue makers, were putting together your own laminations. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif Or, are dowels like that, only available as a custom order?

Do you believe the laminated shaft provides a slightly stiffer hit, than a normal shaft?

In your opinion, will a laminated shaft tend to be more stable, and less likely to warp, over the long run?

Sorry for all the questions. Although I am currently playing with a laminated shaft, I know very little about the process and I am curious. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

BLACKHEART
10-30-2003, 12:26 PM
There are several places that you can get these laminated blanks. I buy mine from a guy that sends me 1" round dowels 30-32" long. They can be bought with any number of layers from 6 on up. I don't know of any Qmakers that make their own, but there may be some. It takes equipment & expertise that I don't have. Yes I think they do have a SLIGHTLY stiffer feel. I would think that they would be somewhat more stable. I wanted to see how they played, so the very 1st one I ever made, was cut down to finished shaft size directly from the 1" dowel. In a few months it did warp. Since then I theat them like I would all of my normal wood & have never had any warpage. I have been making these for about 5 years now & everyone that has one, realy loves them. Since we are cutting down these trees faster than they can grow & since the winters are more mild than they used to be, the trees grown today have fewer growth rings per inch. I feel that this laminated shaft will be the shaft of the future. AND I FEEL THEY ARE BETTER...JER

Rich R.
10-30-2003, 12:37 PM
Thanks Jer. I appreciate the information.

tateuts
10-30-2003, 11:11 PM
I have a Tim Scruggs cue with a piloted big pin, 30" shaft. Can you make one for it? What is the delivery time and the cost? If I send you one shaft, can you use that to copy?

Chris

BLACKHEART
10-31-2003, 12:34 AM
I don't know what "piloted big pin" means. I would suggest that you contact the maker...JER