PDA

View Full Version : Smelke Cues

L.S. Dennis
10-30-2003, 03:10 PM
Anyone have any opions good or bad on Smelke Cues? A friend of mine has one and wants to know whether it's worth
spending any money for a new shaft for it.

Any thoughts?

Pizza Bob
10-30-2003, 03:34 PM
They have been around for a long time and are often overlooked as a really good, low priced cue (great alternative for some of the imports). While Schmelke has a variety of joints available, the one they are known for is a "collar" type joint. No real pin - just two brass collars (one male, one female) that screw into the shaft and butt longitudinally. While this joint has a strange appearance, it hits surprisingly well (subjective - but it's not what you would expect from its appearance). Again, while they make cues across the price range, most are on the low end and if you were thinking of having a shaft made, it would probably exceed the value of the cue. If extra shafts are available from Schmelke, at a reasonable price, well then, it's always nice to have a spare. I do know someone who has these joints (plain brass - no trim rings on the joint itself, as Schmelke sometimes does), but, as I said, may not be cost effective. Schmelke made cues for Brunswick in the late 60's, early 70's. Hope this helps.<---sorry Fred

Adios,

Pizza Bob

L.S. Dennis
10-30-2003, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the input Bob, my friend looked into sending it back to Smelke and they're asking $80.00 to do a shaft for it. I guess the question is, is it worth the $80.00?

Rod
10-30-2003, 09:00 PM
In a word, no. I could be wrong but I think I have seen screw on tips, like I said, I could be wrong.

Without a doubt their wood is not that great and because of the joint design,(heavy brass joint) they are center heavy. There is just too many other better options than getting in deeper with this cue.

Rod

Scott Lee
11-03-2003, 03:54 AM
Rod...No screw on tips for Schmelke cues! For years I used to think Schmelke cues were junk. That is, until 10 years ago, when we took a tour of the Schmelke factory, for a field trip with the BCA Summer Youth Cue Campers! I have to say I was AMAZED at all of the handwork that went into their cues...over 100 steps from start to finish. As was mentioned, they have several types of joints (ala Viking), and I looked at 100+ cues in stock, NONE of which was priced at more $150 (this WAS 10 years ago, though). That one day changed my entire outlook on the quality of Schmelke. They're nothing real fancy, but, imo, plenty of quality in the manufacturing! JMO

Scott Lee

Mikey
11-03-2003, 06:23 PM
I had a Smelke back in the early 80s, solid hitting cue and won alot of tournaments with it, however after a tournament I went to unscrew it and the joint came loose on the butt end. I only paid $60 bucks for it new , so I figuered I had my moneys worth out of it.