PDA

View Full Version : T.A.P. vs A.P.A.

cycopath
10-30-2003, 03:18 PM
Anyone been in both? Which did you like better?

I'm in APA, but I wish there was a TAP league around here to check out. I like the idea of call pocket. From the looks of the rulebook I found, it seems to have a little more intensive scorekeeping method.

heater451
10-30-2003, 05:43 PM
I've never played APA league, but I mostly hear people disparaging comments about the "slop", from those that have.

I've been playing in TAP for several sessions now, and although the scorekeeping is a bit of a culture shock, you get used to it fairly quickly. Basically, you keep track of:

Completed shots
Misses
Defense shots
Balls made on break (MOB)
Balls left on table (LOT)

The scoresheet also has areas for 'Games Won' and 'Games Lost', as well as Timeouts (2 per each game in match). And, there are boxes for 'Break and Run', and '8 on Break'.

The largest problem, is training your attention span, if you're the scorekeeper. This may get considerably harder, depending upon your Blood/Alcohol ratio. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh, there are also some 'funny' rules for scoring, such as a completed shot w/ a scratch counting as a 'Completed Shot'--the scratch does not negate the shot, as you might think. TAP considers the two as separate events. Also, there's sometimes judgement calls, regarding Defense shots--this is at the scorer's discretion, I believe.

==============================

Rich R.
10-31-2003, 05:34 AM
I played only one session in a TAP league.
Although I did like calling shots and no slop and I didn't mind the extensive score keeping, there just seems to be something wrong about their system for rating skill levels.

I entered TAP. as a SL-5, simply because I was a SL-5 in the APA at the time. I found myself playing people even, or giving up games, that were APA SL-6's and 7's. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It was very strange, on one night I would be getting games in the APA and on another night, I would be giving games to the same person in TAP.

There was one person, rated SL-4 in TAP, but was much better than that, who won 13 straight matches and maintained his SL-4 rating. I believe he was manipulating his innings and dumping some games, but not enough to lose a match.

IMHO, TAP, as it stands now, is sandbaggers heaven. A few of my friends and I, all came to the same conclusion. We played only one session in TAP and gave it up.

If TAP could straighten out their handicapping system, it would be worth another try. Like I said, there are things I like about it. But until that happens, I will stay with the APA and deal with the little slop that happens from time to time.

bluewolf
10-31-2003, 10:52 AM
Hi,

The only league I have ever played in is APA.It was fun but I did have two complaints. My main complaints were how late the matches went and the fact that I often did not get to play with real good players. And when I did, I had a spot, which that type of win is not particularly satisfying to me.

I would have rather been in a non-handicapped situation where everything is equal to help me to play better. That is why I liked the tournament because I got to play good players. Win or Lose doesnt matter, just the competition is all that matters and the motivation that comes with that.

I wish that there was a non-handicapped league around here but dont think it is. BCA sounds better (even though you did not ask about that) because you get to play good people at least.

The tap here does sound sandbagging, where our top APA 7s get to play as 5's. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

=k=
10-31-2003, 12:57 PM
i have played both apa and tap.. i much prefer tap.. due to call your pocket. as for sandbagging it can happen in both apa and tap.. i found the best results is to put information on score sheet when you turn it in.. a simple i think this player plays above skill level they are rated at.. you know when someone is sandbagging and when they are not.. or you do in our leauge.. we have been playing the same teams for over a year.. yeah i know sometimes a person has a good game.. or night, thats not sandbagging. i don't abuse information just trying to make things fair..