PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky Petes

Jay
10-30-2003, 08:37 PM
Who makes a good custom sneaky pete for an affordable price? Im thinking about buying one to play with in the bar leagues because im really tired of bringing my good cues there. I was thinking about a production but if i can get a good custom one made to my specs for a good price i would rather buy that. Anyone have any recommendations?

Sid_Vicious
10-30-2003, 08:41 PM
"I was thinking about a production, they remind me to much of house cues sawed in half. Anyone have any recommendations?"

That's the point, they are sneakier when they look that way. Heubler makes a good one for the $$...sid

Jay
10-30-2003, 08:46 PM
i dont really care that i looks sneaky im really not trying to hustle anyways. Most of the people there no me and my ability and to be honest with you they really have nothing to be worried about /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif well not yet anyways

Barbara
10-30-2003, 09:21 PM
Ted Harris makes a great looking S/P with a nice collared joint so it won't blend in with the house cues.

He makes them in a variety of woods, too. Mine happens to be cocobolo. The only change i made to it when i got it was to get a softer tip. The tip he had put on was as hard as a rock, but then again, it was a Santa present, so I had no input upfront.

www.tedharris.com (http://www.tedharris.com)

Barbara

ras314
10-30-2003, 09:58 PM
Trouble with a sneaky pete, and some not so sneaky, is you need to keep your hands on it. Some banger will be wacking the table with it before you know it otherwise.

Their value as a "hustler" is way over rated anyway, most people that play at all will reconize it immediatly.
A well made plain cue seems a bargin to me.

tateuts
10-31-2003, 12:22 AM
Jay,

Dale Perry will probably make you one for $200 - $250 if you tell him you're on a budget, or just bid on one on E-Bay. His cues play very good, pretty stiff with not too much squirt.

Here's the auction on E-Bay:

DP Sneaky Pete (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3634984108&category=21 212)

Chris

Wally_in_Cincy
10-31-2003, 07:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Trouble with a sneaky pete, and some not so sneaky, is you need to keep your hands on it. Some banger will be wacking the table with it before you know it otherwise...... <hr /></blockquote>

Ditto that.

You have to watch them like a hawk. Best to stow it in a cue caddy or in your case. Not exagerrating, if you leave it loose in a bar, someone will pick it up at least 50% of the time.

The good thing is, if you get hammered and forget it, you can go back the next day and it will be on the wall /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pizza Bob
10-31-2003, 08:02 AM
Bob Frey (Tim Scruggs' former partner) makes very nice Sneaky Petes. Just Google under Bob Frey Cues and you'll find contact info.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Barbara
10-31-2003, 08:05 AM
He also makes one sledgehammer of a break cue!

Barbara~~~still breaks like a girl...

Rich R.
10-31-2003, 08:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> He also makes one sledgehammer of a break cue! <hr /></blockquote>
Be careful Barbara, Mike Gulyassy has a j/b cue called the "Sledgehammer". The copywrite police will come and take you away, ha, ha. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
10-31-2003, 09:07 AM
I am a bit confused. The nature of getting a sneaky pete, imo, is for about only 3 reasons or so. One, it's "sneaky looking" especially in bars. Two, cost. Three, it is to be used in harsh environments, i.e. bars using mud balls for instance, customers banging into about everything. So I'm confused about the general reason you want a proverbial sneaky pete. Getting a custom with anything added to make it look different than house cues means you just bought a custom builder's low end cue. That's not a sneake pete at all to me.

Why not just get the Predator SP. It comes with either a stainless joint or wood-wood and has a 314 shaft, all for a good price(internet), and isn't likely to be grabbed by a banger. You'd have the 314 to explore then, and I contend that that cue is a great playing cue...sid

UWPoolGod
10-31-2003, 09:10 AM
Anyone who is a player can tell if a cue is a sneaky pete right away anyway. I know whenever someone approaches me in a bar I always check for it. So you might as well get joint collars on it. I have a Tim Scruggs purple heart sneaky that is 59" without any joint collars and the difference in forearm/shaft color was huge. Until it all got dirty and beat up that it doesn't matter. Still a good hitting cue.

ras314
10-31-2003, 10:26 AM
" Why not just get the Predator SP. It comes with either a stainless joint or wood-wood and has a 314 shaft, all for a good price(internet), and isn't likely to be grabbed by a banger. You'd have the 314 to explore then, and I contend that that cue is a great playing cue...sid"

I use the one with no wrap or stainless joint. Suits me just fine except they don't seem to sell extra shafts for it. However I damn near need to keep it under lock and key. Even had one #^&amp;*$ fool sand the shaft before I caught him. And with coarse sandpaper. Just last week I turned around and saw a guy using it. Had to go get it and try not to cause a ruckus. Usually tell them if they like the cue that well, cough up the 300 bucks it cost.

Puttin it in a cue holder doesn't help much either. My case won't take the butt first so I can't use that.

Sid_Vicious
10-31-2003, 10:26 AM
"Anyone who is a player can tell if a cue is a sneaky pete right away anyway."

The SPs will get you through many, many bars with minimal detection. To tell the truth I have one for the utility end...it won't kill my soul if it gets beat up. But the second reason is that it IS less detectable and LESS threatening to the good' ol' boys hangouts back home. Am I going in there with it to hustle? No! But I'd still like to be less threatening even so, no matter whether there are stakes or not. Let's face it though, a plain jane custom cue is not really a sneaky pete unless it is wood-wood and appears to be a wall cue. If it is dressed, even with a collar, then it becomes a low end custom, nothing more nothing less.

SPs when bought for hustling, are for fooling suckers, not real players. One last reason for getting a custom or production SP is: Four, You get a representative of the hit in that line of cues at a minimal cost, cuz the higher priced cues in that line are not that much(if any) better, they simply have more decoration added...sid

Cueless Joey
10-31-2003, 10:34 AM
The days of the conventional sneaky petes are gone.
Now, if you really want a sneaky pete.
Buy one of those Budweiser, Coca-Cola, Marlboro or Carmen Electra cues.
Take it to a good cueamaker. Have him replace the handle, shaft and have him dowel the cheap forearm with purpleheart dowels and replace the collars with phenolic. Replace the ferrule and tip too.
Who'd respect anybody who walks in a bar with those kinds of cues? Hell, you can even get a cue with a Hustler painted on it and still get disrespected. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
10-31-2003, 10:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr>
....Buy one of those Budweiser, Coca-Cola, Marlboro or Carmen Electra cues.
Take it to a good cueamaker. Have him replace the handle, shaft and have him dowel the cheap forearm with purpleheart dowels and replace the collars with phenolic. Replace the ferrule and tip too..... <hr /></blockquote>

I'm sure you've seen this /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://www.proficientbilliards.com/examples/budweisercue.htm

koolcuedude
10-31-2003, 10:47 AM
Go to Duffering, they make real house cues in 2 pieces.
My question is I am sitting in a bar with my sneaky pete and nobody is any the wiser. They are playing with junk cues with screw on tips and broken ferrules and I have one hell of an advantage. A guy spots my cue, sees it has a good tip and his does not. I miss, sit down, he comes over and asks to use my cue. What do I say to deflect attention away from it and to keep him from using it, or is the jig up right then and there. I say it's my cue, you cant use it, bad move? Just let him use it and hope others don't ask as well? Some help here please. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kato
10-31-2003, 11:15 AM
I've owned a Predator SP and it's pretty sneaky, too bad I couldn't get the weight right. With the weight bolt, without the weight bolt, different weight bolt, sold the cue, bought an SLP, sold it. That one hits better than the SP IMHO but isn't sneaky.

Buddy of mine's got a "Miller Beer" cue. Threw away the shaft, got a Searing shaft instead. Hit's pretty darn good.

Kato

Cueless Joey
10-31-2003, 11:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote koolcuedude:</font><hr> Go to Duffering, they make real house cues in 2 pieces.
My question is I am sitting in a bar with my sneaky pete and nobody is any the wiser. They are playing with junk cues with screw on tips and broken ferrules and I have one hell of an advantage. A guy spots my cue, sees it has a good tip and his does not. I miss, sit down, he comes over and asks to use my cue. What do I say to deflect attention away from it and to keep him from using it, or is the jig up right then and there. I say it's my cue, you cant use it, bad move? Just let him use it and hope others don't ask as well? Some help here please. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>
That's easy.
Keep sneezing on your right hand and keep wiping your hand with the cue. Hell, sneeze on the cue numerous times.
Better yet, spill your beer on it then lick it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Voodoo Daddy
10-31-2003, 11:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Buddy of mine's got a "Miller Beer" cue. Threw away the shaft, got a Searing shaft instead. Hit's pretty darn good. Kato <hr /></blockquote>

I too had a "BEER" cue with a Searing shaft, worked nice. Now I use a Graphite Cue...very green, very ugly, very nice hittin' cue!! Now where did you say that bar was?

Kato
10-31-2003, 11:48 AM
Voodoo, you are very well aquainted with "my friend". 9-ball &amp; 8-ball matchup would be interesting, the rest of the games belong to you.

Kato~~~knows only the most very foolish gamble with Voodoo........................

UWPoolGod
10-31-2003, 12:00 PM
I bought one of those POS cheap $16 sneaky petes off Ebay just to check it out. It is like 56 or 57" long with probably a 13.5mm shaft...not pro tapered with a plastic tip. Hits decent though. I might have my cuemaker take the shaft down and put a good tip on it to see how it plays. Is actually pretty sneaky...hard to see the joint line.

Cueless Joey
10-31-2003, 12:08 PM
Btw, Jay, Ned Morris makes good sneakies at good prices.
Ask one with Ivor-X ferrule and you'll love the cue.
He's at 760-329-3224

Voodoo Daddy
10-31-2003, 12:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Kato~~~knows only the most very foolish gamble with Voodoo........................ <hr /></blockquote>

I dont wanna gamble with you dude...now some others, well thats another story!!

Voodoo~~~dont gamble with friends but I dont have many so I get to gamble alot!!

Eric.
10-31-2003, 01:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> He also makes one sledgehammer of a break cue!

Barbara~~~still breaks like a girl... <hr /></blockquote>

I think Baby Gulyassy makes a "Sledgehammer" J/B called..well..a Sledgehammer.

Eric &gt;breaks like a girl too

Eric.
10-31-2003, 01:12 PM
I was hanging with Pizza Bob once and he mentioned his friend did just that and called it his "Devious Pete" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Eric &gt;neither sneaky nor devious

ras314
10-31-2003, 01:28 PM
"A guy spots my cue, sees it has a good tip and his does not. I miss, sit down, he comes over and asks to use my cue."

Amazing. You must frequent bars with a much better quality of clientel. I've never had a guy actually ask to use my cue, bar stick or otherwise. They just grab it and head for a table.

Since this has turned into one of those hustle threads I'll put in my approach. Well, used to. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Find a bar with some action, hunt thru all available sticks till you find one with some leather left. Pay no attention to how straight it is, other than if it it so bad as to be noticable it is a plus. File the tip somewhat round, and scuff enought to hold some chalk.

Then whatever you do, don't show any kind of stroke. If you can still win, make sure you don't don't ever run the table. Always give the sucker a chance to win. If you have to dump, find a better "player". Let him start jacking the money up, makes him fair game in my book. Advoid drunks, always felt it was more honest just to rob them with a gun.

Nowadays seems every one brings in 2 piece cues. Some can even use them.

tateuts
10-31-2003, 02:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote koolcuedude:</font><hr> A guy spots my cue, sees it has a good tip and his does not. I miss, sit down, he comes over and asks to use my cue. What do I say to deflect attention away from it and to keep him from using it, or is the jig up right then and there. I say it's my cue, you cant use it, bad move? Just let him use it and hope others don't ask as well? Some help here please. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

You use the butt to scratch yourself in the crotch then hand it to him butt first. If he takes it, get the hell out of there, you're in the wrong kind of bar!

Chris

Jay
10-31-2003, 02:50 PM
thanks for the replies everybody. I didnt really get the response that I expected but I enjoyed the read /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I always wondered how people hustled with a sneaky pete. The one thing that I always thought about was how they got it into the bar or pool hall. How do you bring a two piece cue without anyone noticing it? You cant bring it in put together because that would look very suspicious some bringing their own house cue. Ive always wondered about that.
Another thing I was asking around and a lot of people mentioned Bludworth. Ive heard about him before and Ive pm'ed him at azbilliards but has anyone ever played with his cues?

Zims_Rack
10-31-2003, 10:53 PM
Leonard Bludworth also makes a great Sneaky Pete! I have used the original Dufferin Phantom (Sneaky Pete). To me, it just doesn't get any sneakier than this, especially since they make the best 1pc bar cue on the market, IMO.
See Bludworth Original cues at www.zimsrack.com (http://www.zimsrack.com)

Thanks,
Zim

Scott Lee
11-03-2003, 04:04 AM
I'm amazed that nobody mentioned our own CCB cuemaker, Blackheart! He will make you a custom SP for a very affordable price. The quality of his work speaks for itself. There have been several threads just recently touting how well Blackheart cues are made, and how nice they play! I've seen JER's cues, and played with them. I'd recommend them to anyone!

Scott Lee

jjinfla
11-03-2003, 05:14 AM
Now-a-days everyone has a 2-piece cue. They start at Walmart with the $14.95 special and then move on up to the $79 cue that the bar sells and finally they go to the cue shop and get one for $150. Then there are the DP cues that several have won in APA tournaments.

I bought a 314 for my McDermott but the match was way off and I kept catching it on the table. Finally I had the cue guy here match the shaft to a dufferin butt, even sanded off the 314 symbol. Cost me $40 for the butt.

Unfortunately now it looks just like a house cue except that it has a black ring in the middle. And people are always picking it up to shoot with. What's worse is that they use it for breaking.

Most of the people who play here are all in the APA and there really is no gambling to speak of. Most of them are all broke anyway.

But really, when you are sizing up a player do you really care what kind of stick he is using? The only important thing is, is he winning. Is he skillful, or just lucky? does he make the balls when it counts?

I am sure that two guys playing $40 racks of 9-ball could care less what the other guy is holding in his hand. They know what they can or can't do and that is all that is important. And when they play at that level they also know each other.

But now that I think about it maybe the cue to have is one of those $29.95 advertizing cues. Miller, Jack Daniels, Coke. You come in with that and everyone will think you are the town hick. All that matters is that you can play with it and can beat everyone in the house.

Jake

ragbug74
11-03-2003, 07:05 PM
Phillippi makes an incredible sneaky pete. It plays very well and the one I have has no joint rings, but it does have a delrin buttcap.

hemicudas
11-05-2003, 09:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ragbug74:</font><hr> Phillippi makes an incredible sneaky pete. It plays very well and the one I have has no joint rings, but it does have a delrin buttcap. <hr /></blockquote>

Everything Phillippi makes is awesome. Probably the greatest cue maker extant. "BUT" if you can't beat the bar "Banger" by playing off the wall, then you can bet he will recognize "Any" sneaky pete. You might as well play with your best cue.