PDA

View Full Version : Will pool EVER recover from it's "darkside?"

rackmup
04-15-2002, 11:11 AM
With the recent information regarding professional pool player, Dennis Hatch and his alleged involvement in a robbery AND the below listed article, taken from the pages of a local newspaper, one has to wonder..."will the sport survive?":

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>PERUVIAN POOL LORD BUSTED
Cartel 'out of business; moved 40% of all illegal Masters chalk.

By Ken Kingan
Mansfield Newspapers
March 15, 2002

PERU - DEA, FBI and Masters Chalk Secret Security Forces captured the alleged leader of Peru's most violent chalk cartel early Saturday, putting "out of business" the organization believed responsible for smuggling as much as 40 percent of all counterfeit Masters Chalk used in the United State's vast number of pool rooms, bars and recreation centers, U.S. officials said.

Bennie "Blue Powder" Fernandez, 49, was described by a U.S. law enforcement officer as the "CEO" of the cartel, which officials say has "sharked" more than 300,000 pool room owners, retailers of billiard accessories and recreation centers in the United States, Canada and Europe. "Some of this stuff was being used by children for God's sake!" declared one undercover officer close to the investigation.

Besuvio "Fat Fingers" Felipe was the most-wanted chalk trafficker in the United States and Mexico, a man with the legendary status of gangsters such as Al Capone, Sneaky Pete and Dennis Hatch.

He was captured at 1 a.m. in a house in Poopla, 165 miles south of the capital, Defense Secretary Ricky Ricardo and Attorney General Pollo Relleno de la Tomatillo announced. No shots were fired and all suspects surrendered without resistance. One suspect was found in a small bathroom in the back of a warehouse attempting to swallow the evidence. "He ate about three dozen cubes before we got to him" replied one of 50 DEA agents that converged on the warehouse in the small village of Oaxaca de la Poopoo.

The officials also confirmed the death of PePe "LePew" Croissant, the French brother-in-law of Bennie Fernandez. During the raid, Croissant apparently fell into the chalk forming machinery while fleeing arrest and was compressed into several 1"x1"x1" cubes.

The gang used threats of violence to move their product into various pool halls in Southern California, Arizona and Nevada. One victim was beaten soundly 11-0 in a race-to-eleven 9-ball match at College Billiards in San Diego after refusing to use the inferior chalk in December of 2001. "It flaked off and wouldn't give me the draw I needed to win, so I say no and the next thing I know, the guy beats me 11 straight. I never got out of my chair except to rack!" stated Bill Whipple, a 35 year old resident of San Diego, from his hospital bed. Whipple was hospitalized as a precautionary measure.

The counterfeit chalk is easily recognized by it's light blue hue, flakiness and it's inability to remain on the cue tip. It is also irritating to the skin, causes constipation if consumed and "Masters" is mispelled, "MASTERZ."

Officials from Tweeten, the manufacturer of the real Masters Chalk refused comment as an ongoing internal investigation is still in the preliminary stages.<hr></blockquote>

What can I say people? I love my sport but this stuff needs to stop! What's next...intentional loose racks and warped house cues? When will the INSANITY stop?

Regards,

Ken (checking the flakiness of his chalk and awaiting possible constipation)

04-15-2002, 11:20 AM
Is your imagination always kicked into high gear? Great stuff, as always! I want to know where you find the time to do this? (If you do it at work, I think I want your job!)

rackmup
04-15-2002, 11:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Is your imagination always kicked into high gear?<hr></blockquote>
YES
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I want to know where you find the time to do this? (If you do it at work, I think I want your job!)
<hr></blockquote>

I work from my home.

Life is too short to go through it without laughing at/with several things each day:

Laugh AT things you find "entertaining."

Laugh WITH children.

Laugh LIKE a child.

Laugh with OTHERS.

Laugh at YOURSELF.

Enjoy this life. It's the only one that is paid for.

Regards,

Ken

Rich R.
04-15-2002, 11:55 AM
Ken, you should write a book, or at least a regular column for one of the pool magazines.
I would also suggest getting a table in your home. If you could spend as much time practicing, as you do writing this stuff, you would be a world beater. LMAO. Rich R.

SPetty
04-15-2002, 01:04 PM
Hi Ken,

I'm still waiting on your take on the local Dallas story where the Dallas police paid off one or more informants in drug cases, but the drugs turned out to be powdered "pool chalk"...

They originally thought it was powdered sheetrock, but now call it pool chalk. During the stories on T.V., they show the cones of talc as they use the words "pool chalk". A cone was confiscated during a raid.

SPetty~~another blemish on pool's reputation: selling powdered talc as drugs with police paying informants for the info!

Rod
04-15-2002, 02:02 PM
HA HA HA HA HA HA, How funny! "YOUR" tax dollars at work!!

Speaking of tax dollars,
Q, What do you call a sky-diving I.R.S. agent?

A, A Skeet!

Happy Tax Day, all !!! Here ia a link to your tax man!!!
<a target="_blank" href=http://ecardview.hallmark.com/hmk/Website/greeting.jsp?id=EG4144-395366-2881341>http://ecardview.hallmark.com/hmk/Website/greeting.jsp?id=EG4144-395366-2881341</a>
(Flash 5 is needed)

04-15-2002, 04:55 PM
just love this great game and don't think about all the scum that surrounds it. because just when you think you've heard the worst, another story comes along to top it.

forget feeling sorry for pool because pool doesn't feel sorry for you. the more you entwine yourself in its nonsense, the more it will drain you.

enjoy the game, improve, enjoy watching good players play. that's it.

04-15-2002, 06:17 PM
I agree with ignoring the scum. I played in tournaments for 15 years but not anymore. I used to enjoy them and looked forward to the challenges, but these days there is no etiquette. It is all cutthroat now and I have seen more sharking in the last 6 months than I have for the last 15 years. I no longer want to be a part of that. I have won my share and enjoyed the competition. I have nothing to prove anymore and I no longer want to play if it is just going to make me angry. I just play with friends now because it is enjoyable and it keeps me away from the scum.

cueball1950
04-15-2002, 10:50 PM
as long as people like dennis hatch are around and a few others,, you all know who i am talking about.. the drug users that come and play when they are higher than a kite during a tournament, or the players that sit there and bad mouth the game of pool or the state of the pro tour is in and use 4 letter words in front of little kids and the ladies that are there cuz they are playing bad... the game will never come out of the gutter until someone stricvt steps up and starts there own pro tour and lays down the law on these players actions............just my thoughts........................mike

04-17-2002, 08:26 PM
well do not only blame dennis hatch he is just a player.how about the players getting mad at the open about the money problem,,they feel robbed.also barry b getting arested does not help,he is only the founder and host of probably the most prestige tourament.it will be a while if it gets a good name,heck most of the better players are always broke

04-17-2002, 09:53 PM
Nice work there, Ken!

Just got a Kinnister tape, and he starts it off by warning players to stay away from the dead end street of a certain segment of pool life, mainly addictive gambling and drug use. He confesses he lived it himself in younger days, stopping only when a heart attack at a young age forced him to quit. It was a very stark warning to younger players as they might brush up against that pool subculture as they play matches for bigger money. And he just plain asked, do you want to spend your time hanging with those kind of people? Yes, he said, maybe they're playing for $1,000 a rack, but you don't know if it's 15 people scraping the money together, and the player doesn't have two nickels to rub together.

Surprised me that he put that on the tape, but I think maybe he was reacting to some situations Corey or Niels or Bassovich had gotten in.