PDA

View Full Version : Northern Lights

Paul_Mon
10-31-2003, 05:32 AM
Went out last night to the southern shore of Lake Ontario to view the Northern Lights. I've never seen them as spectacular as last night. During a 1/2 hour period between 7:00 and 7:30 they filled the northern sky alternating between blood red and crimson green. Truly a once in a lifetime experience.

Paul Mon

eg8r
10-31-2003, 06:49 AM
Wow, I saw some pics a while ago of the night sky above the Netherlands (or somewhere over there) and the sky was green. Did you get any pic of the sky?

eg8r

dg-in-centralpa
10-31-2003, 06:55 AM
I didn't get to see them 'cause it was league night, but my wife and daughter were trick or treating and got to see them. It was a red oval that grew larger with white spikes and eventually covered half the sky.

DG - wished he could have seen it

Paul_Mon
10-31-2003, 07:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Wow, I saw some pics a while ago of the night sky above the Netherlands (or somewhere over there) and the sky was green. Did you get any pic of the sky?

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

No pictures. I'm not sure that it would photograph well without a tripod and long exposure.

Paul Mon~~~~~haven't seen anything like last night since my hippie daze

Wally_in_Cincy
10-31-2003, 07:29 AM
Back in the 30's way back in the mountains of Kentucky the northern lights appeared one night which is a rarity there. My Pentecostal grandmother was certain the end was at hand /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Wally~~saw 'em once, in Cleveland

Barbara
10-31-2003, 07:56 AM
Paul,

You lucky son of a gun!

Was last night the last night or are the borealis going to continue into the weekend?

Barbara

Paul_Mon
10-31-2003, 08:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Paul,

You lucky son of a gun!

Was last night the last night or are the borealis going to continue into the weekend?

Paul Mon

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Barbara,

According to the local meteoroligist last night was the peak night. I suspect that you'd see them tonight too, if it's clear. Amazingly, they would cycle on and off during the night. During one 15 minute period there was almost no visible lights. Had I started viewing at that time I might have given up and missed the great show.

Paul Mon