PDA

View Full Version : Virgin shaft prep

UWPoolGod
10-31-2003, 09:24 AM
I looked in the archives and read about some of your shaft cleaning ideas. I was wondering if there are any techniques or things that you do to your shaft right when you get it. Super burnish it while its still white, cue wax, leather, etc...
I have never done anything to any of my new cues before play and wanted to try something out to take care of my new custom before it turns blue.

UWPoolGod
10-31-2003, 02:59 PM
No ideas? I'll just continue with the wet wipe/dry wipe during play to keep the chalk off and washing the hands every few games. Just have to drink more so I have na excuse to go to the bathroom LOL.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-31-2003, 03:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> No ideas?

<font color="blue">Don't feel bad. Sid asked this question for about two weeks last year and only got a few responses.

Don't use a case that is chalky.

Wipe the chalk off the tip before storing.

Clean after use.

That's all I can remember. </font color>

I'll just continue with the wet wipe/dry wipe during play to keep the chalk off and washing the hands every few games. Just have to drink more so I have na excuse to go to the bathroom LOL.

<font color="blue">Yeeeaaahhh !!! </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

JimS
10-31-2003, 05:57 PM
I suppose I'm being silly but it bothers me to use a water wet towel on my shaft. I don't like getting water on wood. I suppose it'll not ever bother anything but it makes me uncomfortable.

I can use lighter fluid and not blink an eye. Go figure. Love the lighter fluid!

Who was the guy who recommended lighter fluid. Very bright and very knowledgeable, from Canada I think.....ah ha...Tony something? Tony M...or something???????? I wonder if he's still around?

Wally_in_Cincy
11-01-2003, 08:02 AM
Yes Tony M. recommended lighter fluid. Doesn't it smell bad though? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

socrates recommends a fluid that's made for cleaning CD's. I have yet to try it. Every time I'm at Office Depot I forget to buy some.

Sid_Vicious
11-01-2003, 08:35 AM
Wally is correct, I did post about this exact thing being that I had a virgin shafts on a new cue which I wanted to maintain color free, and believed that there were more than just cleanliness habits to achieve it. I have seen players who have horrible cleanliness habits and their shaftwood stays as clean as mine, and I'm continuing to wipe and clean regularly.

So the bottom line I received from this board was generally "Sid, you worry about the color too much, keep it as clean as you can along the way but forget about having it color free." I didn't like that answer, but what can one do when that's all he gets.

I do promote the lighter fluid as a cleaner though. Wish I'd gotten a good hint at the prep question of a virgin shaft though...sid~~~envys the players with pristene looking shaftwood on regularly used cues and still feels there is a secret we are not privy to

Fred Agnir
11-01-2003, 09:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I do promote the lighter fluid as a cleaner though. Wish I'd gotten a good hint at the prep question of a virgin shaft though...sid~~~envys the players with pristene looking shaftwood on regularly used cues and still feels there is a secret we are not privy to <hr /></blockquote> I think part of the "secret" is that some of us sweat more in the hands and will always get shafts dirty more readily.

I've done the "wipe off after every use" thing, but no way do my shafts stay pristine.

Fred

dmgwalsh
11-02-2003, 11:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Wally is correct, I did post about this exact thing being that I had a virgin shafts on a new cue which I wanted to maintain color free, and believed that there were more than just cleanliness habits to achieve it. I have seen players who have horrible cleanliness habits and their shaftwood stays as clean as mine, and I'm continuing to wipe and clean regularly.

So the bottom line I received from this board was generally "Sid, you worry about the color too much, keep it as clean as you can along the way but forget about having it color free." I didn't like that answer, but what can one do when that's all he gets.

I do promote the lighter fluid as a cleaner though. Wish I'd gotten a good hint at the prep question of a virgin shaft though...sid~~~envys the players with pristene looking shaftwood on regularly used cues and still feels there is a secret we are not privy to <hr /></blockquote>

I got a new stick recently and I'm trying to keep the shaft from going blue. I've been using tan masters chalk and so far so good. Seem to work just as good. Doesn't get my hands dirty. I think I'm using less chalk as well.

ras314
11-02-2003, 11:48 AM
Almost every table I've played on the cloth and rail has so much chalk dust there is no reasonable way to keep my hands clean every shot. It does help to chalk up so my own chalk doesn't fall down the shaft. 'course I'm liable to wack someone in the chin turning the stick upside down. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Helps some to wipe the shaft down every inning. Blue shaft doesn't bother me as much as a blue ferrule.

JimS
11-03-2003, 08:49 AM
When I got my treasured South West the shafts were deep blue and grungy brown. I got some Q Clean and used it to clean the shafts. It took a LOT of rubbing and I used a lot of Q Clean in the process but they did come clean. They have stayed "pristine" looking, with a very nice shine, ever since I started using the lighter fluid. Yeah it smells bad, especially since I finally stopped my 49 yr addiction to cigarets, but the smell doesn't last long...evaporates very quickly. I don't know if anything else works as well as lighter fluid and I'll probably not find out because I don't plan on switching. The lighter fluid just works too well to even contemplate changing.

I think with a new shaft I'd just rub it down with lighter fluid several times and every time I used it and also use a leather piece to burnish it every time. I burnish w/leather several times every time I play or practice. Mine have stayed perfect for a couple years using that process. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UWPoolGod
11-03-2003, 11:12 AM
I don't smoke...have never smoked...nor do I plan on smoking....and you guys are going to make me go buy lighter fluid. Geez. LOL. I may give it a try based on what everyone has said about it.

Todd &lt;--- still remembers as a kid continuously opening mom's Zippo to smell the fluid vapors. YEAH!!!!