PDA

View Full Version : How do I tell how old my pool table is?

Carla
10-31-2003, 05:51 PM
Can anyone tell us how to determine how old our pool table is?
The person who gave us the table thinks the table is an antique. Her husband bought it in pieces and planned to refinish and re-assemble it, unfortunately he passed away. Are there any good web sites, books, or hints you can give us on how the determine how old the table is? It very closely resembles the Brunswick Defiant model table shown at this web site: http://www.brunswick-billiards.com/history/antique_tables/defiance.html and the Brunswick Wilmington model shown at this web site: http://www.brunswick-billiards.com/history/antique_tables/wilmington.html . Do you know how we can tell for sure? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give us.

JimS
10-31-2003, 06:15 PM
If you have a picture you could email it to www.poolndarts.com (http://www.poolndarts.com)

I hope that's the right address for Muellers....who is a large retailer of pool stuff of all descriptions and they do repair/restorations. Good Luck. Yep.....that is the address. Have fun.

Rich R.
11-01-2003, 06:08 AM
Great looking table Carla.

Hopefully Ken in Ct. will see this thread, or you can PM him. He seems to be very knowledgable about old tables.

BTW, when are you coming to play in Maryland again? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's nice to see you posting. Hope you are well.

Scott Lee
11-01-2003, 10:52 AM
Carla...All the wood parts will be stamped with a serial number on the bottom (legs, frame, rails, rail skirts). First thing to look for, is that the numbers match. If they do, then you probably have something. If they don't, there is much less 'antique' value. Are you looking to sell the table, or just "know what it's worth"? Joe Newell, of Clay Center, KS, is one of the top authorities in the country on antique pool tables. For a minimal fee (he charged me $25, but that was 15 yrs ago), you can send him pictures and/or video, and he will give you the real scoop, in addition to a fair appraisal on your table.

Scott Lee

joe
06-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Dear friend ,
you can sure when you check the cloth and the rubber cusion.whether the shape of the frame is distortion. There are so many details we have pay attention to ! <font color="green"> </font color>

wolfdancer
06-28-2005, 08:25 PM
Carla, I gave away my very old Brunswick catalogue, and the 100 yr anniversary away...now I regret that, but..
Bob Bebb's site www.rebcobilliards.com/ (http://www.rebcobilliards.com/)
has pix of the various Brunswick models...and should prove a help
Here's the Defience model
http://www.rebcobilliards.com/inventory_list.htm

Thunderduck
06-28-2005, 08:28 PM
cut it open and count the number of rings in the wood...

cueball1950
06-28-2005, 09:50 PM
i would say that the most knowledgable person i can think of would be dick leonard. send him an I M and ask him. i can't get the picture to come up on my puter. he has dealt with i would say litterly a hundred different tables. and i believe most of them are brunswick.and he can always take the picture of the table to a table restorer here in albany that specializes in brunswick tabes..........mike

PQQLK9
06-28-2005, 10:26 PM
This was Carla's only post back on 10/31/03 and I doubt if she would read this.

wolfdancer
06-28-2005, 10:59 PM
lol

cueball1950
06-28-2005, 11:08 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.giflooks like we all got caught on that 1. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif it is funny. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifnow i know i gotta start looking at the posts date....lololol /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif..........mike

Rich R.
06-29-2005, 03:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> This was Carla's only post back on 10/31/03 and I doubt if she would read this. <hr /></blockquote>
Nick, you are definitely correct about Carla only having the one recorded post. However, at one time, before they reformated this site, Carla was a regular contibuter. She also donated some prizes to the CCB tournament, just last year.
I wouldn't be surprised if she is still lurking. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now, whether she is still interested in identifying her pool table, is another question. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Carla, if you are lurking, I hope you are well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DickLeonard
06-29-2005, 05:48 AM
Carla most of the tables have patent numbers that were used to cover making the table. If you find patent numbers it has to have been made after the last year that the patent applied. In other words if the last patent year was 1920 you know it was made after that date.

Brunswick made the mistake of putting all their eggs in one basket. The stored their fantastic collection in a warehouse in West Virginia, pictures,brocheures,catalogs etc and the great flood wiped out their warehouse.

Today they could probably sell copies of catalogs and make more money than selling tables.

I had a friend of mine call about buying a used home table I
told him just check the want ads. Within a month he bought a table for $1200 I had him call Blatt"s in NYC and ask him what he wanted for a PFister model. He hung up the phone he said he wants $32,000. Believe me there are still gems out there.####

SPetty
06-29-2005, 08:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> However, at one time, before they reformated this site, Carla was a regular contibuter. She also donated some prizes to the CCB tournament, just last year.<hr /></blockquote>Um, Rich, I think you're confusing Carla with Karla... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Karla, if you are lurking, I hope you are well. I really like my colorful chalk holders I won at the USOpen CCB tourney last year. Thanks! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LARRY_BOY
06-29-2005, 08:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Thunderduck:</font><hr> cut it open and count the number of rings in the wood... <hr /></blockquote>

Good one....... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rich R.
06-29-2005, 08:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>Um, Rich, I think you're confusing Carla with Karla... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif<hr /></blockquote>
Thanks SPetty. You are most likely correct.
I never could spell worth a damn. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

BoroNut
06-29-2005, 11:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Carla:</font><hr> How do I tell how old my pool table is? <hr /></blockquote>

I think the recognised technique is to cut through one of the legs and count the rings.

Boro Nut

Bugger. Beaten to it by Thunderduck. I will be revenged.

BoroNut
06-30-2005, 10:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>I never could spell worth a damn.<hr /></blockquote>

HURRAH!!! You've spelled it perfectly this time.

Boro Nut