PDA

View Full Version : Really enjoyed Poolhall Junkies! Even my husband..

ladybilliards
10-31-2003, 06:18 PM
Even my non-pool playing husband enjoyed Poolhall Junkies. I paid 3.99 on ppv - worth every penny and more! My husband doesn't play much but really like the movie and the story line. I think it would have done well in large theaters, I'm suprised it didn't make it. From beginning to end, it was great! Action, comedy, drama, it has it all!

lb

UWPoolGod
10-31-2003, 06:42 PM
I watched it at a friends and then bought it on DVD. One thing that I hate about the movie is when Mars and his brother go to watch the pro tourney and they explain the guy all the others are trying to catch..."not only his break...but how smooth a stroke he has" And they go and flash to a guy shooting a combo in the side pocket with the biggest poke shot I have ever seen. It was anything but smooth. But hey a lot of audiences wouldn't notice that.

And what about the stupid face that "Brad" makes on every shot....and what's with the graphite cues...LOL....and....

...still a pool movie...did like the two beers/two shots hustle though. I'm gonna try that tonight. LOL

Sid_Vicious
11-01-2003, 06:55 AM
"And what about the stupid face that "Brad" makes on every shot...."

Yea that one got to me too. I wish those in charge of casting had allowed a real player to criticize it a little on those accounts cuz it would have seriously amplified the playing effects. But hey, I still enjoyed it...sid

9 Ball Girl
11-01-2003, 09:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I wish those in charge of casting had allowed a real player to criticize it a little on those accounts cuz it would have seriously amplified the playing effects. But hey, I still enjoyed it...sid <hr /></blockquote>Wasn't Mike Massey the tech advisor?

9 Ball Girl
11-01-2003, 09:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ladybilliards:</font><hr> Even my non-pool playing husband enjoyed Poolhall Junkies. I paid 3.99 on ppv - worth every penny and more! My husband doesn't play much but really like the movie and the story line. I think it would have done well in large theaters, I'm suprised it didn't make it. From beginning to end, it was great! Action, comedy, drama, it has it all!

lb <hr /></blockquote>I didn't last too long here in the theaters in NY so....

When I wear my PHJ shirt to work on "casual Friday", some think that I'm making a statement. Well yeah, but I also tell them that it's a movie. They're like, "That's a movie?". It's funny 'cause eventhough they're not poolplayers, had my shirt said The Hustler or The Color of Money, they'd know.

Sid_Vicious
11-01-2003, 10:30 AM
Maybe Mike was a minor part, cuz for any true pool expert to not improve upon those cemantics, he'd have to be either not there on approval day or else somebody else overrules the final say-so. Oh well, I enjoyed having a new pool movie, it just could have been more true to "real pool" with the strokes(imo) sid

Icon of Sin
11-01-2003, 12:31 PM
Bobby LaBlanc was the advisor for the movie, they talk about it in the commentary. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I like the move too, My 3rd favorite pool movie, out of three that is /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1. Color of Money
2. The Hustler
3. Poolhall Junkies

sack316
11-02-2003, 02:05 AM
I loved it too, if you remember I'm the guy that ordered it from Australia before it even got released here because I'm just an idiot like that I guess. But I've got the whole Montgomery, AL area buying that DVD or at least renting it because of me and my friends talking about it so much. (Also I think they want to catch the hustles we keep pulling on them too /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I do think the hustler is still the best movie all around though.

c.holtz009
11-02-2003, 11:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> I watched it at a friends and then bought it on DVD. One thing that I hate about the movie is when Mars and his brother go to watch the pro tourney and they explain the guy all the others are trying to catch..."not only his break...but how smooth a stroke he has" And they go and flash to a guy shooting a combo in the side pocket with the biggest poke shot I have ever seen. It was anything but smooth. But hey a lot of audiences wouldn't notice that. <hr /></blockquote>

If you look closely on the 6-9 combo he plays, the 5 ball is on the left against the far rail. FOUL, HELLO!!

But all in all, I enjoyed the movie. Any movie that has to do with pool can't be all bad.

Perk
11-03-2003, 09:04 AM
I enjoyed the movie, even bought it for DVD. Other than some of the finer pool details mentioned regarding stroke, tons of combos, and Brad's facial expression, I just wish there was one thing different:

On a DVD, there are normally outakes or extras. I was surprised that there were not any trick shots or outakes. Seems like it would have been a good opportunity to get a few shots in or other clips to help promote the sales of the video. IMO

Scott Lee
11-03-2003, 09:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Maybe Mike was a minor part, cuz for any true pool expert to not improve upon those cemantics, he'd have to be either not there on approval day or else somebody else overrules the final say-so. Oh well, I enjoyed having a new pool movie, it just could have been more true to "real pool" with the strokes(imo) sid <hr /></blockquote>

I agree with you Sid. Obviously Bobby LeBlanc, who is a "pro" player either has zero skills as a teacher, or didn't care to, at least, bone up the actors' alleged "strokes", so that they could have at least PASSED for reasonably skilled players (Rick Schroeder couldn't pass for the WORST pro player on Earth! LOL). To be fair, the lead (and director), Greg Mars (aka Mars Callahan) already thought that he KNEW how to play pool in real life, and perhaps didn't want any outside influence in "his movie"! That was my biggest gripe, and I blatently loved the movie. Had Mike been offered, or even asked, I'm certain he would have fine-tuned all of the actors...much the same as I would have. Unfortunately, Mike didn't even shoot in the movie...just had a small speaking role. Oh well...at least it's a POOL MOVIE! LOL

Scott

cycopath
11-03-2003, 09:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> I loved it too, if you remember I'm the guy that ordered it from Australia before it even got released here because I'm just an idiot like that I guess. <hr /></blockquote>

I guess I'm an idiot like that also. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I ordered it from AUS, and had a friend convert it from PAL to NTSC and then burn it to DVD.

But of course I had to buy the US version when it came out.

Brent
11-03-2003, 10:17 AM
I really like the movie too ...BUT...was I the only one who saw that in one shot the 9 ball was a Heritage and then Centennial and like this a couple of times. Oh and the shot at the end...I got it on VHS and in my version just when the double bank killshot is played some guy walks trough infront of the camera so I didnt se the CB bounce..I only saw it going and then comeing to the 9. I was pissed /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Great movie though..they should make more movies about pool. Newman and Cruise should play a small part for old times sake /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Steve Lipsky
11-03-2003, 10:32 AM
Hey all... I have come to respect everyone on this board, as well as their unique points of view. That said, WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT??? THIS MOVIE HAS MORE IN COMMON WITH MARBLES THAN POOL.

Sorry. Ahem. Had to get that off my chest.

- Steve /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif &lt;-- Mostly tongue-in-cheek, but seriously wondering how pool players can like this movie.

Rich R.
11-03-2003, 10:43 AM
I was always taught, if you can't say something nice about someone, something, don't say anything at all.

So, concerning Poolhall Junkies, I will say................

Scott Lee
11-03-2003, 11:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Hey all... I have come to respect everyone on this board, as well as their unique points of view.

- Steve /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif &lt;-- Mostly tongue-in-cheek, but seriously wondering how pool players can like this movie. <hr /></blockquote>

Steve...That's easy! I love movies. I love pool! PHJ is a POOL MOVIE! It's that simple. I love all pool movies...
even bad ones! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Scott Lee

Ross
11-03-2003, 12:01 PM
Sorry, I thought the movie was lame, lame, lame.

It had great potential with a strong cast and Mars had the ability to play a bit and act decently, but the story line and overall writing was REALLY weak. Almost every scene was a borrowed cliche from previous movies, only done more poorly this time around. And what was with the tacked on sub-plot of the horney, "clueless-about-girls" teenagers with the borrowed riffs from "Animal House" and "Diner"? - that subplot just seemed like filler, and not at all integrated into the movie. The tension set up with the triangle between Mars, his girlfriend, and Mars addiction to pool had potential, but again was not developed beyond the superficial "he loves the game, and if she loves him she will see how important it is to him."

And the showdown scene - what a joke! Like someone is going pay 80 grand or whatever it was based on a "word-play" hustle! (And I still am not sure I get the "bought your shot" idea anyway. When Mars shot out of turn that was Brad's shot he bought, so is the idea that the final shot was Mar's because Brads shot had just been taken? Lame ending to the match in any case.) Scenes with Christopher Walken were the only saving grace of this film, imo.

On IMDB, the user rating is 6.6 out of 10. I would give it a 6, myself, since I wasn't completely bored by it. Oh, yeah, I liked the shot glass drinking hustle also.

UWPoolGod
11-03-2003, 12:18 PM
My thing when I watched it also was that it was like Rounders...boyfriend living with his soon to be lawyer girlfriend and her being pissed he was playing again after he had a labor job..kicking him out...but at least she took him back LOL. Friend in Rounders...brother in PHJ that got int trouble and the lead had to use his skills (poker or pool) to get him out.

Steve Lipsky
11-03-2003, 01:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> And the showdown scene - what a joke! Like someone is going pay 80 grand or whatever it was based on a "word-play" hustle! (And I still am not sure I get the "bought your shot" idea anyway. When Mars shot out of turn that was Brad's shot he bought, so is the idea that the final shot was Mar's because Brads shot had just been taken? Lame ending to the match in any case.) <hr /></blockquote>

Ross, I couldn't agree more. But, even assuming that somebody would actually pay up on this hustle, Mars took the dumbest-ass shot imaginable!

If he makes it (on "Brad's" shot), we'll agree that he won't tell Chazz that it was really Brad's shot. OK, fine.

But what if he hits it, and leaves himself tough??? Now, even if he tells Chazz that it's really his shot (the hustle), he's in a bad spot. Especially since he's, um, pretty bad.

The move, after he buys the shot, is to jump the cueball off the table at a hundred miles per hour, giving himself ball-in-hand with which to make the 9 on - now - "his" shot. This also would be pretty funny. Here you have a hill-hill match on the final ball for $100G and one of the players is shooting cueballs into windows. I would laugh, anyway.

- Steve &lt;-- thinks it's pretty sad when shooting a cueball into a window makes more sense than what actually happened.

Cueless Joey
11-03-2003, 01:30 PM
I'm glad some people liked it cuz I sure didn't.
Sadly, with the right people behind it, it would have been a lot better.
OK, I'm praying now for Ben and Matt to write and make a pool movie.

Perk
11-03-2003, 02:17 PM
I think the final move should have been the frozen bank cross corner.....oh wait...that was done in the Hustler.....oh well, most hustles are cheasy, and they ended the movie with a real doozy.

UWPoolGod
11-03-2003, 02:49 PM
Well yeah, after he made the jump bank the cue wan't going towards the 9 anyways and both wouldn't roll to the rail...blah blah. Any of their shown run out scenes you could tell the cue was going to end up way further than where it was actually sitting for the next shot. And I sure as hell wouldn't be shooting a one handed shot when playing for that much money. Or put any sort of draw on that last 7 to set up for the 8. Oh well had to set up the safe LOL.

MadaFaka
11-03-2003, 04:44 PM
this movie was a huge steamy pile of unadulterated caca........if this movie was anything like a pool version of Rounders (like i kept hearing), it would have been watchable......lame hustles, terrible storyline, horrible acting.......20 dollars down the drain and 99 minutes of my life i will never get back.......i tried to give this movie away but even the Salvation Army wouldnt take it.......what a huge disappointment

ladybilliards
11-03-2003, 05:31 PM
Ross you wrote: (And I still am not sure I get the "bought your shot" idea anyway. When Mars shot out of turn that was Brad's shot he bought, so is the idea that the final shot was Mar's because Brads shot had just been taken? Lame ending to the match in any case.)
That was some hustle...Mars "bought" Brad's shot for $5k, I believe he really didn't try to make it because had he made it, Brad would have won. So he missed Brad's shot, then took his and won the match...that was a Hustle if I seen one! I'm crazy about pool so any movie that had pool in it, is good to me. I also think that Mars is a cutie pie and the story was pretty good. I liked the end where he broke at the tourney and and had that "yeah, that's right...I'm here" expression! That was priceless.
Just my humble opinion.

lb

daviddjmp
11-03-2003, 06:06 PM
It was a pretty bad movie, but it was about pool hustlers, so I saw the DVD. The ball collision sounds were unnecessarily juiced up with synths and samples, but it was mildly entertaining and Christopher Walken is great to watch at any time. I don't think I would every see it again, but I can watch The Hustler over and over and enjoy it every time-

sack316
11-04-2003, 01:56 AM
quote cycopath:
"But of course I had to buy the US version when it came out"

luckily I had a birthday around the time it came out and my fiance bought me the US version. So I have both sitting in from of my tv now

Cicada
11-04-2003, 02:55 AM
I jsut started playing pool a few months ago :P

today i went out and picked up The Hustler, Color of Money, and Poolhall Junkies, all on dvd /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i'd seen poolhall junkies at my cousin's house and really liked it /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ross
11-04-2003, 09:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr>
The move, after he buys the shot, is to jump the cueball off the table at a hundred miles per hour, giving himself ball-in-hand with which to make the 9 on - now - "his" shot. This also would be pretty funny. Here you have a hill-hill match on the final ball for $100G and one of the players is shooting cueballs into windows. I would laugh, anyway.

<hr /></blockquote>

Now I LIKE that ending, Steve. I wish they would have let you or me or some of the other CCB'ers re-write the script! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(Now there's a thought - a pool movie script written by CCB'ers. Hmmm...)

SPetty
11-04-2003, 09:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr>(Now there's a thought - a pool movie script written by CCB'ers. Hmmm...) <hr /></blockquote>Hi Ross,

It's been done...
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=97869&amp;page= &amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1

Keith Talent
11-04-2003, 10:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr>
- Steve /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif &lt;-- Mostly tongue-in-cheek, but seriously wondering how pool players can like this movie. <hr /></blockquote>

I've decided to look at the bright side. After this movie, EVERYBODY's on to my guitar-case hustle, but now I use a TROMBONE case and NOBODY sees that coming. Thanks, Mars!

Predator314
11-04-2003, 12:07 PM
I thought the movie was great. It was my first Netflix rental when I signed up with them (it's not in any video stores around here). The only complaint I had was the shooting was unrealistic. Nothing but shooting hard and bank shots.

Christopher Walken rules.

Perk
11-04-2003, 12:27 PM
I am sure perfect cueball position on every shot, and every shot looking ridiculously easy would appeal to the general public. So what if they were firing banks all the time and rocketing combos that are dead on. Maybe the next movie will involve "Bank 9" to keep it exciting and somewhat believable.

9 Ball Girl
11-04-2003, 02:51 PM
I saw the flick when it came out back in February here in NY. Yes, it was a fun movie, but I believe, IMO, that this movie was NOT made for pool players like us. Some of us, including myself, really dissected the movie when we saw it. The guitar case, the switching of balls from Aramith to Centennial in one shot, the gambling scenarios, the bank shots that could've easily been cut in--that's all eye candy for the regular Joes out there that are not spending their time in poolhalls like us but that spend their leisure time going to movies. And that's cool--unfortunately the movie didn't make the money that I think they wanted to.

The Color of Money and The Hustler--now those are movies that had the poolplayer in mind. I actually tested it out. My cousin saw PHJ and loved it--thought it was funny and cool, etc., sort of like what some are saying here. And that's ok. He was in my house 2 weeks ago and I had him see The Hustler. He couldn't stand it. I had to take it off through the middle of the movie. So I threw on The Color of Money. That one held his interest a little longer (maybe 'cause it was in color, who knows) but became bored nonetheless. PHJ is the one that does it for him because and I quote "there's more action in PHJ and the playing is better". I raised an eyebrow on that one. But anyway, to each his own as they say.

Would I have paid to see it a 2nd time? No. Will I add it to my pool collection? Yes.

ladybilliards
11-05-2003, 01:39 PM
Execellent analysis. As I stated earler, my husband is a non-pool player. He really liked the movie, he put it up there with the Color of Money and the Hustler. I (a serious player) do not put it up there with those two classics but I did enjoy watching this movie. Shots aside, the story line was interesting, example...I liked the little scene between Mars and the Brothers in the pool room and how Mars repeated what he heard from them when he played at the party...."a minute ago it was like an Elks lodge in this " ", now it quiet as a church! LOL - hah, that was pretty funny.

lb