PDA

View Full Version : Cuetips: How Much Wear Before Replacement?

TomBrooklyn
04-15-2002, 11:32 AM
How low do you let your cuetip get before you replace it?

I have a WB tip that has only about 1/16" sidewall since the last time I gave it one of its periodic shapings. I use a dime radius so it tends to need shaping more often than a wider radius would, and shaping it tends to take a little more off the sides to get the crown than a nickle radius would. The tip has never mushroomed in the least, and the hit and playability seem fine and unchanged to me. I think I can use it a little while longer as long as I don't hard break with it where a mis-hit near the edge of the tip might overly stress the ferrule. Someone was just telling me this morning that I should replace the tip; but I think this is due more to perception than reality.

How <font color=blue>looowww </font color=blue>do you go?

MaineEAck
04-15-2002, 11:46 AM
Well, if you live in my area, and want me to do the work, I would have a new Talisman PRO Tip put on at least once a week! If not sooner! hahaha

Nostroke
04-15-2002, 11:48 AM
You need a dime thickness as well in tip "padding"

Troy
04-15-2002, 11:53 AM
I recommend NOT letting the tip get thinner than a dime, about 1mm. If you have an Ivory ferrule, I would NOT let it go that thin.

Troy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> How low do you let your cuetip get before you replace it?

I have a WB tip that has only about 1/16" sidewall since the last time I gave it one of its periodic shapings. I use a dime radius so it tends to need shaping more often than a wider radius would, and shaping it tends to take a little more off the sides to get the crown than a nickle radius would. The tip has never mushroomed in the least, and the hit and playability seem fine and unchanged to me. I think I can use it a little while longer as long as I don't hard break with it where a mis-hit near the edge of the tip might overly stress the ferrule. Someone was just telling me this morning that I should replace the tip; but I think this is due more to perception than reality.

How <font color=blue>looowww </font color=blue>do you go? <hr></blockquote>

stickman
04-15-2002, 11:57 AM
I replace mine when they get that short, but that's just me. Mine is almost there and I'm ready to replace.

Kato
04-15-2002, 11:58 AM
The Triangle's on my play cues are gone after 4 months. No matter what.

Kato

Rod
04-15-2002, 12:00 PM
Tom if your at 1/16 now before shaping it then it's real close. Yes you can play with it, but I'd get prepared to take it in for a new tip. I look at tips kind of like tires.
They have a service life and a safety zone. You want to replace them at or before they reach that limit to be safe.
Tips start life with a 3/16" shoulder give or take. That means you get approx 1/8" of wear, for your 15 bucks or what ever it costs.

04-15-2002, 12:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> How low do you let your cuetip get before you replace it?

I have a WB tip that has only about 1/16" sidewall since the last time I gave it one of its periodic shapings. <hr></blockquote>

darn good question and it really gets to the center of a lot of the cue tip comaparison discussion that's been going on.

first, i think each tip has an identifiable life process that can be divided into 3 phases:

1. too new and needs to be broken in. lepro and triangle (french-type) tips seem to wake upfairly quick. built-up tips seem to take longer.

2. just right. for me, the triangles et.al. are in that phase about a month. better built-ups (talisman for example) stay just right for several months, or until your idiot teammate grabs your stick, thinking it's his, and reshapes it to death. we have identical pred. petes.

3. too thin to trust.

the last one is the killer. at about a dime thickness you are going to start hearing the difference on very hard or extreme english shots. you will start miscueing. it's just a matter of when.

personally, given the low cost of tips and the high cost of miscues, as soon as i start losing trust in the tip, i kill it. if nothing else, you're likely to start changing your style to cover for the thin tip. less english, less power.

i bought the "jacksonville project" tape from dr. jewett and one of the eye openers is how much the tip compresses on extreme english shots. with a thin tip you're shootin off the ferrule. little bitty "pinch" shots are impossible with a too-thin tip.

dan

Rod
04-15-2002, 12:22 PM
Thats ok Kato, you can afford a new tip now, after your big score! lol Just keep wining and replacing those tips. It's good for the economy! Now don't forget your harem, spend some on them too! lol

SpiderMan
04-15-2002, 04:20 PM
Tom,

You've gotten reasonable advice from several folks on the minimum tip that you should allow on your cue. I'll additionally say that you need to estimate the time when your tip will get down to that self-imposed minimum, and plan the replacement so that it doesn't fall immediately before important matches.

For example, I try to make sure that I never replace a tip within a couple of weeks of BCA nationals. Going from a worn tip to a new tip, even if they're out of the same box, will necessitate an adjustment period until the new one feels natural. Recently I decided my tip might wear thin by the end of April, so I replaced it last week to give myself plenty of time. Good thing, too, because I didn't like the new tip and changed it again.

SpiderMan

04-15-2002, 06:21 PM
You are only supposed to used a Q tip once and after you have cleaned your ears throw it away.

TalismanTony
04-16-2002, 12:11 AM
I would go with Troy, at least 1mm to avoid any chance of ferrule damage.

Alfie
04-16-2002, 07:50 AM
Quote Rod: "Tom if your at 1/16 now before shaping it then it's real close. Yes you can play with it, but I'd get prepared to take it in for a new tip. I look at tips kind of like tires. They have a service life and a safety zone. You want to replace them at or before they reach that limit to be safe."

I agree with Rod and suggest changing it when the shoulder is between a penny and a quarter thickness. Here are some American coin gauge thicknesses.

nickel= 1.95mm
quarter= 1.75mm
penny= 1.55mm
dime= 1.35mm

1/16"= 1.59mm.

Q-guy
04-16-2002, 07:58 AM
Post deleted by Q-guy

stickman
04-16-2002, 10:02 AM
I would guess the same way Sardo works. MONEY

Tom_In_Cincy
04-16-2002, 11:42 AM
I replace my own tips. Been doing it for over 15 years. I like to replace the tip when it is about the original size or just a little bigger.
IMO if you wait until the tip is at a dimes width (1.3mm) then you have waited too long.

TomBrooklyn
04-16-2002, 09:28 PM
My Internet connection went down for a little over a day after trying to install DSL, but now it's back up (on DSL, horray), albiet slightly unstable as I wound up uninstalling Zone Alarm and may have deleted some shared files or I don't know what yet.

Anyway, I'm just getting back to this. Actually, the sidewall on my tip is almost exactly 1/16" which is also almost exactly equal to the thickness of a quarter. And I already recently shaped it, so I won't need to shape it again for a while.

A lot of folks so far said a dime thickness is the dead minumum or maybe past the minimum. I'm figuring a quarters thickness means I have a little more use, albiet not much. Remember, with a dime radius, the crown is somewhat higher than it would be with the flatter nickle radius. Am I OK here?

P.S. I've been using the Williards Shaper but it seems to take a bit too much off the side just to get the center of the crown right. I'm going to try making my own pvc half pipe shaper like Jim S has for the future. I may try a 5/8" pipe rather than a 3/4" though. Or I may try both. I like a small radius tip.