PDA

View Full Version : Spotting someone the Break

Diana Minor
10-31-2003, 09:34 PM
I have a question.
If you are spotting your opponent the break and they foul on their attempt to break, do they retain the break or does the break then pass to you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif [pollstart]
[polltitle=Who's break is it?]

Sid_Vicious
10-31-2003, 09:46 PM
It's passed unless you feel generous...sid

JimS
11-01-2003, 06:19 AM
How bad are you beatin'm and how badly do you want them to keep playin? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fred Agnir
11-01-2003, 07:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Diana Minor:</font><hr> I have a question.
If you are spotting your opponent the break and they foul on their attempt to break, do they retain the break or does the break then pass to you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif [pollstart]
<hr /></blockquote>The rules say that there is no "re-break" so the option to have them break again or you break isn't there. If they fouled on the break, miscued, deflected, whatever, the break shot is over.

As the incoming player giving up the spot, the next shot would be a safety off the pack, right?

Fred

stevelomako
11-01-2003, 09:40 AM
Diana,
If you're spotting someone the break it means you NEVER break. They tried to snatch it from you didn't they?

Isshi
11-01-2003, 10:10 AM
Fred Agnir explained:

'If they fouled on the break, miscued, deflected, whatever, the break shot is over.

As the incoming player giving up the spot, the next shot would be a safety off the pack...'

Probably so, since if they failed to contact the one ball the incoming player gets rewarded BIH.

What happens if someone miscues on the break, and then grabs the slow rolling cue ball by hand or swipes it to one side with their cue to prevent it from hitting the rack, perhaps (erroneously) thinking that they can try a second break shot? Only one foul can be assessed per stroke.

Could that (grabbing the cue ball) be considered unsportsmanlike conduct and loss of game? Or still just a BIH foul?

Curious, Isshi
~~saw just this scenario played out earlier tonight on the next table
~~finally posting again after about a year

Sid_Vicious
11-01-2003, 10:33 AM
I'm guessing a warning the first time. That seems to be the standard answer most of the time...sid

eieio59
11-01-2003, 09:11 PM
Well Dee.... from someone who was there....

You MUST penalize someone for all fouls. Just because they are getting spotted the break doesn't mean they get to "swing until they hit it"! When they FOUL on the break, there is a penalty.... and since the rules were that the match was to be played "tournament rules", then OBVIOUSLY (to most)..... she must give up the break. If there is NO penalty for a foul then that opens up a lot of doors. I also seem to recall that the player who had fouled was even offered the opportunity to break again BUT her wild balls wouldn't count on that break (a seemingly rational compromise)... however, the stake horse (or PD) for the player who had fouled wouldn't settle for that.

As far as it goes concerning, "just how much do you want to keep playing......" I seem to recall that that same player had already committed a couple of fouls and you had let them slide.... I guess ya just shoulda let her do whatever she needed to do to win...i.e... throw your money away. It's not like she wasn't already GETTING THE WORLD!

I say.. when you foul.. you've fouled and now you pay the price... give it up!

Just a note...... from someone who was there!

8BallChump
11-01-2003, 09:15 PM
I really can't tell from your response whether you are saying that they should/shouldn't get to break again after they foul..... but if you are saying that they get to keep trying over and over til they make contact...... I just want to know one thing......

WHERE DO YOU GAMBLE?????

tateuts
11-01-2003, 09:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Diana Minor:</font><hr> I have a question.

<hr /></blockquote>

I assume you're playing 9 ball. If your opponent fouls on the break, you have ball in hand anywhere on the table.

I don't know why there would be any confusion about this at all. A "foul" on the break includes scratching, cue ball off the table, not hitting the one ball first, or not driving 4 numbered balls to the rail (if you play that way).

If you're playing 8 Ball or One Pocket, other scenarios would apply.

Chris

stevelomako
11-01-2003, 10:02 PM
Well thats different if you guys said you were playing tournament rules before you started. If we were gambling and didn't say that, then she would keep breaking.

From the sound of the whole thing now.....sounds like one of you was scared and the other was glad of it!

Nostroke
11-03-2003, 08:10 PM
Fred Under Texas Express,which nearly everyone plays, if there is no legal break, the opponent has the balls reracked and he then breaks.

http://www.texasexpress.com/rules_sec3.htm

pooldaddy9
11-04-2003, 09:36 PM
If you are spotting them the break, let them break....They are not fouling on purpose.