PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Books

Kato
11-01-2003, 08:31 PM
Alright Q, you brought it up. I've been an avid reader all my life and read approximately 120 books per year. My current library is as about 600 books (wonder where the other 10,000 books I've read are?) and I've got a few favorites. I mostly gravitate towards certain authors and 99% fiction.

The "McNally" series by Lawerance Sanders
The Hunt For Red October by Clancy
IceFire by Reeves-Stevens
Anything by Mike Lupica, Stuart Woods, Janet Evanovich.
I love the Meg books by Steve Alten, even have an autographed copy of The Trench.
Playing Off The Rail
Dr. Suess
Dean ing (various spy novels)
James Byron Huggins

(My Dark Side)
Tami Hoag
Patricia Cornwell
John Sanford (Prey series)
Old Stephen King (The Shining, Cujo, Pet Cemetery, Christine)
Robert Walker (Instinct series)
The Hot Blood series (short stories, horror erotica)
David Wiltse
Jeffrey Deaver (The Bone Collector, Shallow Graves, ect)
Edgar Allen Poe

The list will never end, I'm always looking for fresh stuff.

Kato

WaltVA
11-01-2003, 10:01 PM
We share a lot of favorite authors - if you like John Sandford and Jeffery Deaver, you might like Michael Connely's Harry Bosch series (especially his last one, Lost Light) and Robert B. Parker, who is like the late John D. MacDonald transplanted to Boston.

I was disappointed in Patricia Cornwell's latest, Blow Fly. The multiple viewpoint perspective was confusing compared to her earlier Scarpetta novels.

Walt in VA

Kato
11-01-2003, 10:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote WaltVA:</font><hr> I was disappointed in Patricia Cornwell's latest, Blow Fly. The multiple viewpoint perspective was confusing compared to her earlier Scarpetta novels.

Walt in VA <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Walt, I never made it through Isle of Dogs. I've loved all the Scarpetta novels. I haven't made it to Blow Fly. I started with Cruel and Unusual 4 or 5 years ago and got hooked immediately.

Sooner or later I'm going to get to Parker and Connelly. I walk past his books all the time.

I also dig Stephen Hunter. Love those sniper books.

Kato

Tom_In_Cincy
11-01-2003, 10:46 PM
Kato,

I'm a long time Sci-Fi reader, and love good detective stories (Mysteries) .. .. but for the last 15 years or so, its been more technical books than anything.. just trying to keep up..

Foundation Triogy by I. Asimov is #1
Anything by Michael Crichton
Anything by Tom Clancy

nAz
11-02-2003, 06:45 AM
Hey TomC we have this in common I'm a huge SciFi fan and Asimov is by far my Favorite. especially the foundation series, did you read the other parts to it, like prelude to foundation? I like the way he fused his Robots stories into the foundation universe. or is it vice versa??

Kato ever read the Hitch Hiker series? great and funny reading from Douglas Adams, man i wish he would write more of it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bluewolf
11-02-2003, 08:52 AM
I love reading, but recently was having a hard time finding anything that really interested me. I found this set of old sherlock holme books and that is what I have been reading.

In the past have liked:

John Grisham
Lord of the Rings
Chronicles of Narnia
Harry Potter
etc.

Laura

Kato
11-02-2003, 09:11 AM
Laura, I love The Chronicles of Narnia. One of my all time favs. My Mom, Brother, and I used to read one or two chapters a night out loud when we were kids. My Brother is doing it with his kids as well. I have a wonderful collectors book with all the stories and illustrations. Paid a fortune for it and have never opened it. Saving it for the day my first child is born (cross fingers).

Kato

Voodoo Daddy
11-02-2003, 10:20 AM
It sucks being book dumb...I mean I can read but I never retain any of it. If I had to choose an author, I'm not sure I could but I love any book about the MAFIA, Sports and Music. I do remember 2 books I read 20+ years ago called Catcher in the Rye by Huxley and Fairenheight 451 by Bradbury? {sp}

Voodoo~~~reads EasyRider /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif, The Horse /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif and HUSTLER /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

dg-in-centralpa
11-02-2003, 11:14 AM
I have a hard time sitting down to read a book, due to lack of time. I can do more short stories or magazines because I can put them down and come back to them a week later and not forget anything. I loved the Hot Blood series, Ian Fleming James Bond books, I'm trying to read "The Day the Earth Exploded." A story about Krakatoa, and it's very in depth and hard to read.

DG - who probably doesn't read 5 whole books in a year

JimS
11-02-2003, 11:22 AM
I used to read a lot.....when I worked on the railroad and spent a lot of time sitting on the engine, or in the caboose or in a motel. Since then my reading time has dwindled to virtually nothing..what with a wife, my business, the dog, the pool table staring at me beggin for attention, the South West hanging there looking tempting etc, etc.

When I was reading I got into Carlos Castenada..BIG time, then Ayn Rand, Hesse, Camus, Henry Miller, Anais Nin, Richard Brautigan, stuff from the Theosophical Society, Ouspensky/Gurdjieff, then...of course AA stuff, The Course In Miracles, Joel Goldsmith.

But....come to think of it...I'll bet I haven't read anything but pool books for the last 3 years; all of Byrnes stuff, Playing off the Rail, Kiss High Bet....nonono...Bet High Kiss Low, George's stuff, Jack Koehler's stuff, Cornbread Red, Henning's stuff, all the pool novels I can find...Grissom, Color of Money, Hustler, a little of the Monk (he seems disingenious to me)Buddy's life story, Rags to Rifleman, also The 99 Critical Shots, Richard Kranicki's stuff, the list is longer than I thought.

My current favorites....one's that I keep going back to: Rags to Rifleman, all Byrnes stuff and Bob Fanchers Pleasures of Small Motions. I plan to take them to the tournaments with me. I have to confess that I, like Voodoo, don't retain much. My reading is mostly just for the moments enjoyment and I believe that even though I may have problems remembering consciously what I've just read it does still have an effect on my subconscious and the values present in what I read will tend to influence and/or change the way I think and act. So...I'm careful about what I put in there, just like I would be with my grandkids.

I'd like to find more on the acquiring and maintaining a winning attitude. I have problems with that.

Kato
11-02-2003, 01:45 PM
Every Sunday for about the last 4 years I've gone to Borders for a cup of good java and books. I don't necessarily buy but todays take brings a real gem. Bringing Down The House by Ben Mezrich. It's a story about MIT students who nailed Vegas for millions by counting cards (among other things). I'll finish before I sleep tonight. Facinating!!!!!!!!!

Kato

Kato
11-02-2003, 09:22 PM
Wonderful book, must read. $14 is usually too much for me to spend on a book ($8 for some reason doesn't bother me) especially for one that I'll read in 6 or 7 hours.

Just well written and pretty neat. Check it out if you can.

Kato

9 Ball Girl
11-02-2003, 10:58 PM
anything Stephen King
anything Bentley Little
anything Dean Koontz

anything involving Tales from the Crypt, The Vault of Horror, the Haunt of Fear (okay so these are comic books so what?!)

OnePocketChamp
11-02-2003, 11:00 PM
I love to read, favorite authors are Crichton, Stuart Woods, Lawrence sanders, Tom Clancy and Patrick Robinson. My all time favorite books are:
1. The Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas
2. Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurty
3. The Stand by Stephen King
4. Chiefs by Stuart Woods
5. The five books by Jean Auel

Wally_in_Cincy
11-03-2003, 07:25 AM
I must be weird. I don't read fiction as I see it as a waste of time /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif (just kidding).

The last 2 books I read were "The Hunt for Bin Laden-Task Force Dagger on the ground in Afghanistan" and "Fast Food Nation"

Iowashark
11-03-2003, 09:37 AM
Anything by:

1. Nelson DeMille
2. newer Dean Koontz
3. classics Dickens, Salinger, Shakespeare
4. A Clockwork Orange
5. Johnny Get Your Gun (maybe it's Johnny Got his Gun) about a war veteran in a hospital when he comes to find he's lost his arms, legs, sight, hearing. If you've ever seen the Metallica 'One' video, that video is about this book. A must read.

Fred Agnir
11-03-2003, 09:47 AM
Harry Potter
Lord of the Rings

For planes: Standard plane fodder - King, Grisham, Koontz, Clancey.

I do like "newer" Stephen King, Bag of Bones
Girl of Who Loved Tom Gordon
Hearts in Atlantis

Although I'll definitely read "older" Stephen King.

Fred

Kato
11-03-2003, 10:09 AM
Don't know about new Stephen King. After I read the Tommyknockers (fantastic book, terrible TV movie) I tried to read Insomnia. The only thing that book did is put me to sleep. Haven't read anything by him since. But he can't have my horror dollar. Clive Barker, John Saul. I started on a series named "Necroprosy" and finished 2 books, very evil, very dimented, very cool but lent them to someone and haven't gotten them back.

For you comedy fans check out Tim Dorsey. Hilarious characters. Also the Fletch books by Gregory McDonald.

Kato~~~doesn't think anything could possibly be scarier than "Where The Wild Things Roam" by Maurice Sendick

bluewolf
11-03-2003, 10:50 AM
Firefly by Piers Anthony was a 'sexual horror/scifi' book. And I don't mean sexual in the way that we think of it. I loved it. Has anyone else read it?

Laura

Paul_Mon
11-03-2003, 01:35 PM
Kato,
I go to the Salvation Army or Volunteers of America and buy hardcovers for a buck or two. Therefore, all of the books I buy have been off of the best sellers list for a few years. Very seldom do I buy anything whilst its popular.

This time of year I spend alot of time in treestands bow hunting for white-tailed deer. My favorite books to read in the stand are Koontz and King. Nothing like walking in the dark forest after reading those two. I just started reading one of King's book of short stories, can't remember the title, has the toy monkey on the cover.

My other favorites are Grisham, Crichton (just finished Airframe) and Cunsler. Cunsler writes books about a US agent in the Oceanographic field.

My biggest problem is I can't remember what I've read or bought but haven't read yet. Just last month I bought another copy of Airframe.

Paul Mon~~~~CRS

Iowashark
11-03-2003, 02:18 PM
Here's a question, I've never read a 'pool' book and I was wondering what most of you would recommend. I'm not really looking for an instructional book, but just a well-written book about pool playing, going on the road, hustling, etc.
I've come across a few in this thread so far, but which or most commonly recommended?

Fred Agnir
11-03-2003, 03:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Iowashark:</font><hr> Here's a question, I've never read a 'pool' book and I was wondering what most of you would recommend. I'm not really looking for an instructional book, but just a well-written book about pool playing, going on the road, hustling, etc.
I've come across a few in this thread so far, but which or most commonly recommended? <hr /></blockquote>
McGoorty (several different title changes) - Bob Byrne
Playing Off the Rail - McCumber

Fred

Popcorn
11-03-2003, 03:04 PM
To be honest, the last fiction book I read was Jaws like 30 years ago. I will read biographies and technical stuff of interest. I never really had that much time for reading fiction. Currently reading "The Greatest Generation Speaks"
by Tom Brokaw. I read a little before going to sleep, that is about it.

Kato
11-03-2003, 03:24 PM
Without reading anyone's response I'd say McCumber's Playing Off The Rail. If you can find Rags To Rifleman that's great to.

Kato

Kato
11-03-2003, 03:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr>Cunsler writes books about a US agent in the Oceanographic field.

<hr /></blockquote>

Do you mean Clive Cussler? I read a book of his about raising the Titanic I think. Blew through it and never gave him another thought. My friend Sharon loves that guy.

Airframe is Creighton and I think he gets a wirl next month.

Kato

pooljunkie73
11-04-2003, 02:10 AM
Anything by Richard Marcinko.

Kent Mc.

CarolNYC
11-04-2003, 04:29 AM
When I was younger, I spent alot of my time at the library!
Besides all the magazines that Voodoo listed, I just recently bought the book:
ANGELS&amp;DEMONS by Dan Brown
He also wrote the DAVINCI CODE-but thats a hardcover so I didnt get it yet!
I finished ANGELS&amp;DEMONS, couldnt put it down and now Im reading
DECEPTION POINT!
I like books where you just have to find out what happens next!:):):):)
Carol;):):) /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul_Mon
11-04-2003, 05:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr>
Do you mean Clive Cussler? I read a book of his about raising the Titanic I think. Blew through it and never gave him another thought. My friend Sharon loves that guy.

Airframe is Creighton and I think he gets a wirl next month.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, I did mean Cussler. I've read three of his novels, all kept my interest and taught me a little something. I like the way he works himself into some of the stories. Like I said in the earlier thread these popular books are easy to find at the Goodwill stores.

Paul Mon~~~~currently reading Skeleton Crew by Stephen King

bluewolf
11-04-2003, 05:49 AM
I like books that pick you up on the first sentence and wont let you down til the last sentence, but is so good, feel disappointed that it ends. Those kind of books that if you have to stop reading it to go to work or something you are in torture, and maybe even find yourself reading it on your breaks.

There are lots of good books that just do not do that for me, although some swear by them.

Laura

Hopster
11-05-2003, 10:09 PM
Kato, did you read Mike Lupicas Wild pitch ? I just got it and loved it.
I am also a huge fan of Stephen Hunters stuff. Point of impact may just well be the best thing i ever read. Loved it.
Also with Hunter, here is a guy who really knows rifles, not just someone who did a little research for the project.
Another author who is good is Lawrence Block, check out the Burglar Series, very entertaining.

Gayle in MD
11-05-2003, 11:45 PM
So glad to see you back JIm. You mention several of my favorites, Castenada, Rand, Nin, Miller. Also I love to read the works of those authors with beautiful writing styles, like Issak Dennison, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Hemmingway. Anything by Jane Austen, Trumen Capote' was great until he got so messed up on drugs and died.

In my thirties, I read mostly psychology, philosophy, and anthropology. For up-lifting books I have always loved Dr Wayne Dyer, "When you See It, You'll Beleive It" was great. M. Scott Peck, "People of The Lie" "The Road Less Traveled" etc.

Erik Fromm, The Art Of Loving... The Art Of Selfishness, David Seabury, "The psychology Of Self Esteem," by Nathaniel Branden, those three books changed my life.

My forties were full of biography, biography and more biography. Especially loved reading the letters of Ernest Hemmingway, whew, what a man! Good thing I never met him!

Now, my life is so full, I'm lucky to grab up my Vanity Fair magazine, which I LOVE, and grab an hour or two once every two weeks. Really Miss reading though. I am looking for new authors of fiction, with beautiful writing styles. I have to love the beauty and economy of the words to really enjoy a book of fiction.

Love,
Gayle

Kato
11-06-2003, 12:10 AM
I'm smack dab in the middle of Wild Pitch. Lupica is a great writer. Used to watch him on ESPN's Sports Reporters and saw in the book store that he was an author as well, widly entertaining. I don't know jack about rifles but Stephen Hunter writes great books. I've not read the books about the elder Earl Swagger but the books about his son have been great. Black Light is my favorite I believe but they've all been fun to read and very in depth. I have 5 of his books.

Kato

Hopster
11-06-2003, 12:34 AM
Lupica is definetly funny and being a life long Mets fan i really enjoyed the book.
Here is Hunters unofficial website link , good stuff.
http://www.stephenhunter.net/