PDA

View Full Version : Shooting a safety off of the rack

Isshi
11-02-2003, 09:16 AM
In the 'Spotting someone the break' thread, the question was posed of what to do if (in nine ball) a player fouled on the break, perhaps missing the rack.

Since it's a BIH foul, Fred A suggested the incoming player should shoot a safety off of the (unbroken) rack.

Assuming the idea is to barely contact the one and hide the CB amongst the pack of barely-broken balls, hoping to put the opposing player on 2 fouls (and then the next shot would go for three fouls and the game), this is what I came up with in practice today:

START(
%AN7O5%BL8P7%CJ7O4%DL8N2%EM7P1%FK7P1%GK7N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%PS4Q3%WO9O7%XR6P9%]I1M6%^C2H5%eA6a9%_C7G7%`E2F5%aI9C5%bJ6D1%cL6I0%dO0 N9)END

Fan the one with eight O'clock left, real soft, hoping to put the CB two rails into the back of the pack.

Is this the right shot, or am I missing something better? The shot above takes a real soft hit, yet the left English has to be strong enough to bring it into the pack. 30% of the time it went around the pack, allowing the incoming player to see the one, or have an easy one rail kick. That's no good because now all the balls are tied up.

What's the right shot for shooting a safety off the rack?

TIA, Isshi.

UTAddb
11-02-2003, 11:05 AM
I would probably do this. That way if you miss at A,B,C, you still have a good chance at a safety.
START(
%AN8O5%BL8P7%CJ7O4%DL8N2%EM7P1%FK7P1%GK7N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%PQ7R1
%QI5K6%RF3T2%SF3O3%WP3P3%XQ4Q7%]J7N0%^M1C7%eA9a2%bM6D6%cN6I0
%dO8N9
)END

Sid_Vicious
11-02-2003, 12:55 PM
The BCA leagues around here don't allow a BIH anywhere on a fouled break shot. Somebody re-brakes the balls. Maybe it works that way(BIH) in TX Express rules, I can't remember...sid

RedHell
11-03-2003, 01:40 PM
Sid,

According to BCA it is BIH. It seems your league has a special rule about it !!!

5.4 LEGAL BREAK SHOT
The rules governing the break shot are the same as for other shots except:

1. The breaker must strike the1-ball first and either pocket a ball or drive at least four numbered balls to the rail.

2. If the cue ball is pocketed or driven off the table, or the requirements of the opening break are not met, it is a foul, and the incoming player has cue ball in hand anywhere on the table.

3. If on the break shot, the breaker causes an object ball to jump off the table, it is a foul and the incoming player has cue ball in hand anywhere on the table. The object ball is not re-spotted (exception: if the object ball is the 9-ball, it is re-spotted).

Sid_Vicious
11-04-2003, 12:34 PM
I found out that even though BCA rule handbooks are given to direct most all of the local league players, that we actually are guided by Texas Express rules, which do NOT allow BIH after break fouls in 9-ball. BCA does as I'm told...sid