PDA

View Full Version : Right Handed Left Eye Dominent Head Position?

Sid_Vicious
11-02-2003, 12:49 PM
Question, where do you align your head to the cue when down on a shot? I'm right eye, right handed and it seems natural to come down on line, but what is the situation with you RH/Right-eyed players? Do you canter your head over to put the left eye over the cue??sid

ras314
11-02-2003, 01:05 PM
Well, I'm RH/Right-eyed with poor vision in the right eye. So almost invarabily contack the cb a little on the right side because of looking out of the left eye. Parallax or something.

Uh, or were you asking RH/Left-eyed people? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Not trying to be funny, this is really my excuse.

JimS
11-02-2003, 01:06 PM
I'm left handed, right eyed. I tend to get my right eye over the cue, not completely, but to the right of center, opposite from my thinking. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sid_Vicious
11-02-2003, 01:24 PM
I definetely have weakness in my dominent eye, and might do as you with adjusting with the left. I say that cuz I line up for my left handed shots and never even think about eye domination...and I ain't a bad leftie when I want want to be.

I recently made a definite change of making myself keep my head postured over on the left side of the cue, it felt wierd at first but I am finding that I am seeing the line of the cue travel much better. Yea, it could be that pesky weak right eye...sid~~~tried glasses, made far too much of a distraction, Lasik someday maybe

bluewolf
11-02-2003, 03:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I definetely have weakness in my dominent eye, and might do as you with adjusting with the left. I say that cuz I line up for my left handed shots and never even think about eye domination...and I ain't a bad leftie when I want want to be.

<hr /></blockquote>

I am right handed,left eyed and can shoot a little with my left hand. When shooting leftie, my left eye tends to be more over the stick.

Other than that observation, I used to think about all of this stuff but just gave up on it and as someone not terrifically experienced, figure scott,randy or FL or ray would have told me if I needed to change my head position.

Not near as good as you sid, just figure I need to get more shooting behind me, so I stopped thinking about that.

Laura

Chris in NC
11-02-2003, 03:26 PM
Your head / eyes should automatically find the alignment / position over the cue which allows you to best see the line - and it should find that same exact spot every time. Ideally that head position should be dead horizontal level as well as square on - both eyes the same distance from the CB, but not every pro has it that way.

Numerous professional players are right-handed left eye dominant and have no trouble getting their head in the correct position over the cue. This is having the shaft aligned somewhere in that 2-inch range from directly under the dominant eye to dead-center between the eyes - depending on how dominant the eye is. - Chris in NC

JimS
11-02-2003, 05:46 PM
A couple of years back I about drove my self batty for a while worrying about where my head was in relation to my dominant eye. I read Richard Kranicki's Answer To A Poolplayers Prayers I posted about, I worked on it and I got more confused, more clumsy, less accurate and less confident. I pay very little if any attention to eye placement these days. If I start missing to one side or the other consistently I'll check to see where I'm placing my eye and usually I will discover that my face has become too square with the shot line and that I need to twist my head to the left just a little so my right eye lines up just very slightly more over the cue. But...as you can tell I hardly ever think about it.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sid_Vicious
11-02-2003, 07:25 PM
Chris...Is Strickland left eye dominant???sid

Sid_Vicious
11-02-2003, 07:34 PM
Laura...Never assume that you are not as good, as good, or anything else compared to anyone from a discussion board, unless of course the name precedes the player. If I've learned one thing in the last year is this, "Never forget just how good you really are." Lots to gain from remembering that. Thanks SPetty. You are right, if I am hitting center pocket well, I've no concept as to where my head is positioned, but when I am consistently off, it helps me to think about it, along with how well my feet are planted..sid

bluewolf
11-02-2003, 09:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Laura...Never assume that you are not as good, as good, or anything else compared to anyone from a discussion board, unless of course the name precedes the player. If I've learned one thing in the last year is this, "Never forget just how good you really are." .sid <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks sid. I actually started doing something different. Playing whoever I can get to play with me, even if I have to buy them a beer. Dead even, no spot, regardless of their apa level, just forget it and play.[I think playing a lot of different people and playing a lot will help my stamina also] ww, who is a sl7 I played tonight race to five 8 ball, then race to 5 nine ball. I actually did better than I thought I would. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cant beat him yet, but it was nice to get a few games off of him. Surprisingly, I did better in nine ball, which I am much less experienced in than 8ball.

Laura

Fred Agnir
11-03-2003, 08:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Chris...Is Strickland left eye dominant???sid <hr /></blockquote> I think Strickland and Neils Feijen are good indicators that the current eye dominance theory is ... misleading at best.

Strickland and Feijen put the cue outboard of their respective right eye. Feijen's is under his right ear. Surely, he isn't right ear dominant.

IMO, the eyes work in conjunction. One may be dominant, but how they truly interact when focusing on a 3D object is unclear in sports. However, a center alignment check (Pool School 'Centergistics') will at least tell you where your eyes see "center." To me, that's all that should matter.

Fred &lt;~~~ right nostril dominant

Chris in NC
11-03-2003, 10:26 AM
Strickland and Nels Fejen are strongly right-eye dominant. Contrary to Fred's opinion, IMO I've closely checked the alignment of them both - in photos and in person at events. Even though it appears in some photos that they align the cue outside of their right eye (particularly Nels) it is on the outside of their eyeball (maybe at most 2-1/2" right of the center of their chin, but certainly not anywhere near the right ear - which would be over 4" from the center of their chin. - Chris in NC