PDA

View Full Version : storing a cue

justbrake
11-03-2003, 05:10 AM
do you stand them straith up, or lay them down,does it matter! (in case)

JimS
11-03-2003, 07:45 AM
I store mine standing straight up in a rack or dismantled, in a case.

Fred Agnir
11-03-2003, 08:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> do you stand them straith up, or lay them down,does it matter! (in case) <hr /></blockquote>I store my cues standing straight up.

Fred

UWPoolGod
11-03-2003, 11:13 AM
I also stand them straight up...with the pin towards the top of the case...should get joint protectors...

Paul_Mon
11-03-2003, 12:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> I store my cues standing straight up.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Fred,

I keep two cues assembled and vertical in a cue rack, these get used daily.

I keep one cue disassembled and stored in a case that is lying horizontally, this cue is used a couple times a month at most.

I keep one cue and two shafts inside plastic bags and placed into corrugated shipping tubes and also stored horizontally, these are seldom removed.

All of the stored cues have joint protectors.

Whats your opinion? Should they all be stored vertically?
Should I build a humidor to store all my stuff vertically? I know you've seen some pricey cue collections. What are serious collectors doing to protect their investment?

Paul Mon

Fred Agnir
11-03-2003, 12:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr>
I keep one cue disassembled and stored in a case that is lying horizontally, this cue is used a couple times a month at most.<hr /></blockquote> I did this to two cues, and they both warped. One was an unwarpable Cuetech. It straightened itself out.

[ QUOTE ]
Whats your opinion? Should they all be stored vertically?
Should I build a humidor to store all my stuff vertically? I know you've seen some pricey cue collections. What are serious collectors doing to protect their investment?<hr /></blockquote> I think that storing them vertically reduces any side load from gravity. Most of the collectors that I've seen have their cues stored in a standing travel case or vertically in a cue safe. I don't know anyone that has a climate controlled room for theirs, but I do recall Thomas Wayne saying he does something like that. I could be completely off base. My cues are in a 12 x 24 travel case.

Fred

tateuts
11-03-2003, 01:02 PM
I prefer to store mine up and down, but if you have a good case, I don't think if makes any difference. I've had some cues for over 10 years in briefcase style hard cases stored sideways and they're still straight as an arrow.

I think heat does the most damage. Even one day in a car parked in the sun on a hot summer day can ruin your cue, regardless of the case. As far as your home goes, when we're gone on hot days, we leave the air on and the thermostat set at 80 degrees.

Chris