PDA

View Full Version : Custom cue weight

miko
11-03-2003, 09:03 AM
I know that I can't order a custom cue and ask for a specific weight since it would be hard for the cuemaker to make a cue that weighs exactly what the customer wanted, except probably if he uses weight bolts. How much usually should the range for the weight be asked from a cue maker? .5 oz? (eg. 19-19.5 oz). I'm asking this since the cue I got from a cuemaker seems to be way off the weight I requested.

JimS
11-03-2003, 09:12 AM
I'm no expert. That said I believe that you certainly CAN expect a custom cue to be exactly the weight you specified. I think that's one of the things that "custom" means. Weigh the cue and talk to the maker. He should make it right. If he doesn't I'd tell the whole world right here. and I'd let him know I was going to take that means of recourse.

Fred Agnir
11-03-2003, 09:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote miko:</font><hr> I know that I can't order a custom cue and ask for a specific weight since it would be hard for the cuemaker to make a cue that weighs exactly what the customer wanted, except probably if he uses weight bolts. <hr /></blockquote> This is incorrect for the most part. And, even if he uses weight bolts, what's wrong with that? If the cuemaker can put the balance point wherever you want and still uses a weight bolt, would that be bad?

Fred

cycopath
11-03-2003, 09:32 AM
I've had two custom cues made. And both times I've asked for specific weights, 19.3oz and 19.7oz. Both times this was accomplished without using weights.

miko
11-03-2003, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the replies.. my cue was way off the weight that i wanted. It was off by at least more than .5 oz. The has advised me to drill a hole in the butt and put in the extra weight to achieve the weight /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gifI want.

miko
11-03-2003, 10:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote miko:</font><hr> I know that I can't order a custom cue and ask for a specific weight since it would be hard for the cuemaker to make a cue that weighs exactly what the customer wanted, except probably if he uses weight bolts. <hr /></blockquote> This is incorrect for the most part. And, even if he uses weight bolts, what's wrong with that? If the cuemaker can put the balance point wherever you want and still uses a weight bolt, would that be bad?

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

I didn't say anything is wrong with using a weight bolt. But it is MY personal preference not to have any metal inside my cues.

RedHell
11-03-2003, 10:52 AM
What....!?!?! The cuemaker advised you to drill a hole yourself in the butt and put in a weight bolt ?!?!?!

Names, I want Names !!!

Who the hell is that cuemaker !?!?!?

cycopath
11-03-2003, 10:55 AM
I agree. I want to know who this yahoo of a cuemaker is, so I don't ever mistakenly order anything from him.

If you don't want to post the name at least PM me, I'd appreciate it.

Fred Agnir
11-03-2003, 12:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote miko:</font><hr> I didn't say anything is wrong with using a weight bolt. But it is MY personal preference not to have any metal inside my cues. <hr /></blockquote> No metal joint pin either? Many cuemakers also join the A joint with a metal threaded rod, using it's length and placement as part of the balancing/weighting scheme. What about that metal?

I'm also assuming that many cuemakers use a threaded rod in the Butt Sleeve/Plate joint as well for one reason or another.

Fred

UWPoolGod
11-03-2003, 01:45 PM
They can make it right to what you spec for a weight. I wanted a 19.5 and it came out to a 19.5 without needing a weight bolt.

Popcorn
11-03-2003, 03:39 PM
Other then hollowing out part of the butt or adding weight, there is no way to get an exact weight and maintain the same cue dimensions. I have seen cues that were thinner to achieve a lighter weight but the wood weighs what it weighs. You may not see a weight pin in the butt of your cue, but there is probably one where the nose piece and handle were put together and maybe even a joint screw that is longer or shorter to refine the weight. To take the woods you select and the butt dimensions you want, while taking into account the shafts have to be a certain dimension, taper and weight and the balance needs to be correct and expect the cuemaker to make a cue come out to an exact weight without doing anything, is ridiculous. I would say if you asked this of a cuemaker, he would turn down the order, that is not how cues are built. A cuemaker trying to make a living and stay sane at the same time, usually ducks customers who start making a lot of silly demands.

miko
11-03-2003, 09:33 PM
The 2nd cue I got from the cuemaker was .66-1.16 oz off from the weight I requested. This is the 2nd cue he sent me since the first cue got some problems which required him to make me another one. Overall, I'm not quite satisfied with how the cue turned out considering the amount I payed for it. I was surprised at the result though since the cuemaker is actually a very reputable one. I love the hit of the cue even if its a little too light for my taste. I guess I'll just have to bring it to my cuemaker friend for the addition of weight at the butt. This would move the balance point by about 1/4 of an inch according to the cuemaker. Thanks for all your inputs. Sorry, but I don't think I should give out the name of the cuemaker. I don't want to be destroying his livelihood.

bluewolf
11-04-2003, 05:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Other then hollowing out part of the butt or adding weight, there is no way to get an exact weight and maintain the same cue dimensions. To take the woods you select and the butt dimensions you want, while taking into account the shafts have to be a certain dimension, taper and weight and the balance needs to be correct and expect the cuemaker to make a cue come out to an exact weight without doing anything, is ridiculous. <hr /></blockquote>

When I talked to scruggs, he said that before adding weight, it was between 17 3/4 and 18.0. I guess the rest of the weight would have been a bolt put in at the right balance. I decided to go with the 17 3/4 and 18.0. I have found that I like the lighter cues.

Aren't scales sort of like those doctor scales which are supposed to be accurate, yet they do not weigh the same. What if the cuemaker weighs it and says it is 18.o but you take it somewhere else and it weighs 18.1? I picked up a lot of scruggs cues and they were so well balanced, we could not even tell how heavy they were. If it had been 18.4 and I ordered a 18.5, to me that is not a big deal.

Seems like some pool players really get upset about this stuff but if it feels good to me and performs well, I could care less if it is off .1. Who could really pick up the cue and tell the difference ? I guess that is my question.

Laura

BLACKHEART
11-04-2003, 08:48 AM
Bluewolf, did you sell the BLACK HEART, that was too heavy for you? My Qs sell easily &amp; as pretty as that one is, you will have no problem finding it a new home...JER

miko
11-04-2003, 09:31 AM
I agree with you. However, if the difference in weight is more than .5 oz.. u will definitely feel the difference

Popcorn
11-04-2003, 12:01 PM
Tell you something funny, I was once in a shop of a well known cue maker and he had a gram scale he was using. When checking the weight of my cue, I saw he divide by 28. I asked him if he always used this figure, he said yes, isn't that right?. I told him no and every cue you made and weighed on the gram scale using that figure is off by about a 1/4 of an ounce. He could not believe it.

bluewolf
11-04-2003, 05:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> Bluewolf, did you sell the BLACK HEART, that was too heavy for you? My Qs sell easily &amp; as pretty as that one is, you will have no problem finding it a new home...JER <hr /></blockquote>

No, Jer. You are right it is a beautiful cue. My brother in law just started playing APA and he wants it. He is a very big guy and it will be perfect for him. He lives in Ohio and will be in for Thankgiving to pick it up.

I probably will be selling the predator sneaky pete though.It got too butt heavy for me. But I gotta tell you, getting ww to part with any cues is like pulling teeth!!!! We have some old ones around that I don't think are worth sheet from when he used to sell those particular cues.

The stick I am currently using is the first one you sold me. Everyone who picks it up loves it!!

Laura