PDA

View Full Version : PPV Finals - US Open 2003

Fred Agnir
11-03-2003, 09:08 AM
I taped the finals yesteday and was able to watch the last three racks.

In case anyone cared... The longest time between shots for Jeremy Jones was 40 seconds. His standard was in the 20- 25 sec., and often was under 20 seconds from the time the ball stopped moving to the time he stroked the next shot. IMO, this is very acceptable. He only went to the towel and chalk about one out of three shots. My memory was that he went every time to the towel, but the PPV showing proved otherwise. When he did go to the towel, it was his first move after the shot. The two or three times that he stretched over 30 seconds, he looked at the table for about 10 seconds, then went to the towel/chalk, then got down to the shot and shot it. Again, only one time did he hit 40 seconds in the three racks that I watched him shoot.

I'll check the rest today (or whenever).

Fred

JimS
11-03-2003, 09:19 AM
I read somewhere recently that he believed that the reason for his recently improved game was that he had increased his tempo of play....or was that Archer that said that???

Regardless of who said it, it seems to me to be very quick play especially given the pressure of that situation. I can't imagine the pressure involved in playing the championship match at the US Open.

Sally
11-03-2003, 10:44 AM
I believe that was Archer. At least, that's what he told me about why he thought he was able to win in New York a few weeks ago, and I believe I put that on the site.

RUNaRAK
11-03-2003, 12:57 PM
Jeremy may have said the thing about tempo too, but Archer accredits that to his recent comeback. He said that playing quicker keeps him more relaxed and does not give him time to overthink... It seems to be working.

Joe

9 Ball Girl
11-03-2003, 03:30 PM
I spoke to Jeremy after his win when we were all at Q-Masters that Sunday. He told me he'd heard that there were a couple of people doing the wave but that he was so zoned out he never noticed that or the shot ratings we held up! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jimmy B
11-04-2003, 04:50 AM
I thought the opposite, while watching (in person) I never thought it was that bad or that he took to long, but watching on TV I was bored silly and ill from watching this. Maybe it was the fact that Jimmy and Billy felt they needed to babble on and on about stupid crap to fill the void. I loved the wave on TV, better then expected, I think it was after JJ won his 4th game. JB

mickey2
11-04-2003, 05:02 AM
I think that there are some players who play very fast to get into the zone more easily.
Just watch Ortmann how he is playing straight in competition. He runs 100 without a problem in 30 minutes, and if he find his rhythm he sometimes even keeps the chalk in his hand while playing.
Tony Drago or Martinez are some other players who probably do the same.

BCn
11-04-2003, 04:38 PM
You can still catch the finals on iNDemand pay-per-view.

Here's the November 5-6 schedule (http://www.indemand.com/moviesandevents/viewProductShowtimes.jsp?page_sectionId=2&prodId=1 2065) and the November 11-24 schedule (http://www.indemand.com/moviesandevents/viewProductShowtimes.jsp?page_sectionId=2&prodId=1 2065&date=2003-11-11&time=16&prevDate=2003-11-04&prevTime=34)

Dish Network customers (http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/ppv/sports_events/single_showing/index.asp?titleID=23775&cat=Other%20Sports) get all showings, meaning the sooner you order, the more opportunities you have to watch the match. It replays continuously through 5 AM Saturday November 8th.