PDA

View Full Version : Tip Cement

BeanDiesel
11-04-2003, 01:45 AM
Guys, i need some suggestions. what kind of tip cement would you guys recommend?

pooldaddy9
11-04-2003, 04:18 AM
There are a lot of good glues out there.The one I like best so far is Loc-tite 454. Haven't had the first tip come off yet.

Paul_Mon
11-04-2003, 05:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooldaddy9:</font><hr> There are a lot of good glues out there.The one I like best so far is Loc-tite 454. Haven't had the first tip come off yet. <hr /></blockquote>

Same here Loctite 454, keep it in the fridge after opening.

Paul Mon

JimS
11-04-2003, 06:34 AM
I'm using Loctite QuickTite Super Gel.

BillPorter
11-04-2003, 06:34 AM
I've used Duro Gel with good success for years. It can lose it's holding strength over time, so I discard the remains of one of the little tubes after a few months. I think it is made by the same company that makes Loctite products, so it may well be the same adhesive as Loctite 454. Hope this helps.

ras314
11-04-2003, 08:22 AM
How difficult is it to clean up the ferulle when you replace the tip? I have a tip about due for replacing that I put on with Duro Gel. Sort of dreading the process.

JimS
11-04-2003, 11:11 AM
I use super glue remover and havn't encountered problems.....but remember I am a very inexperienced amatuer. I've only replaced about 12 tips total in my life....all of them in the last year. I kept my eye open and found a Willard on eBay.

bolo
11-04-2003, 11:45 AM
Put a piece of masking tape around the top of the ferrule. Make it just a little above the top of the ferrule and with your finger bend the edges over so it is not in the way of the tip. I put the joint area of the shaft on a surface that puts the tip at eye level when I press the tip on. Put the glue on the ferrule (Not the tip) and place the tip on the ferrule lightly with a slight twist to spread the glue. While holding it peel the tape away. There should be no glue on the ferrule at all. Works for me.

ras314
11-04-2003, 03:26 PM
JimS...That's about 6 more than I've done. Concerned what super glue, or finger nail polish remover, might do to a Predator ferrule. It is a very soft plastic.

Bolo...What I'm worred about is cleaning off the ferrule in order to glue a new tip on. Will use the masking tape this time, though didn't have a problem the first go round.

I have used Tweetens also. Second attempt worked ok. Found it has to get pretty tacky before pressing on the tip. Will take some time if it is cold.

PoolFool
11-04-2003, 06:46 PM
Super glue gel is good but I have a problem in that it only alows 15 seconds to position the tip. For the last 10 or so tips I have used Gorilla glue (www.gorillaglue.com)from Home Depot. To test, I glued a piece of leather to a pvc pipe and tried to remove it with vice grips.I tore the leather to shreds but the part glued to the pipe is still there. You can clean up with water before it hardens (about 30 min.) One $4.00 bottle will do hundreds of tips.

PoolFool

Cueless Joey
11-05-2003, 01:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PoolFool:</font><hr> Super glue gel is good but I have a problem in that it only alows 15 seconds to position the tip. For the last 10 or so tips I have used Gorilla glue (www.gorillaglue.com)from Home Depot. To test, I glued a piece of leather to a pvc pipe and tried to remove it with vice grips.I tore the leather to shreds but the part glued to the pipe is still there. You can clean up with water before it hardens (about 30 min.) One $4.00 bottle will do hundreds of tips.

PoolFool <hr /></blockquote>
How do you deal with that foaming after?

PoolFool
11-05-2003, 03:27 PM
Gorilla Glue only foams when it is starting to set up. The expansion is very minimal. After about 10 minutes from the tip placement I wipe it of with a wet paper towel. There is no glue except under the tip where it should be. I use two 12" rubber bands to keep pressure on the tip for the hour it takes to harden. Zero problems so far.

PoolFool