PDA

View Full Version : CBS/Reagan Viewing

Sid_Vicious
11-04-2003, 11:02 AM
It appears that the press has steered itself from total freedom of expression to a selective, partisan status. CBS made a statement that even though every part of the film had factual data to back up the credibility of the film, they were not going to show it.

I sense a little supression in our Americam system...sid

Wally_in_Cincy
11-04-2003, 12:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> .... CBS made a statement that even though every part of the film had factual data to back up the credibility of the film,

<font color="blue">If they actually said that then they are liars. </font color>

I sense a little supression in our Americam system...sid

<font color="blue">This was a mean ugly non-factual hatchet job engineered by Barbra Streisand. Any company that sponsored this was looking at losing probably a third of their business. The people that admired Reagan have spoken....with their wallets. </font color>

<font color="red">Babs can sh*t and fall back in it for all I care. </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Singlemalt
11-04-2003, 12:40 PM
Perfectly said, period.

Candyman
11-04-2003, 01:09 PM
A-men, Brother! I had already contacted Proctor &amp; Gamble and told them to forget any support for their products forever if this smut aired.

eg8r
11-04-2003, 01:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid:</font><hr> .... CBS made a statement that even though every part of the film had factual data to back up the credibility of the film,
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally:</font><hr>
If they actually said that then they are liars.
<hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote> Did Sid really believe CBS? Sid, do you think you could find those facts somewhere and share them? They must be out there for you to find, if CBS said so. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I already do not watch CBS, so my boycott was not going to be a big thing anyways. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
11-04-2003, 02:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr> A-men, Brother! I had already contacted Proctor &amp; Gamble and told them to forget any support for their products forever if this smut aired. <hr /></blockquote>

On second thought....I don't know if I could give up Tide, Sure, Safeguard, and Charmin. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally~~will never boycott Anheuser-Busch either /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sid_Vicious
11-04-2003, 02:11 PM
How'z about CNN in today's news. This text rests just a paragraph or so into it. Y'all discount CNN as an accurate source to reference???sid

"Although the miniseries features impressive production
values and acting performances, and although the producers have sources to verify each scene in the script,,,,"

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/11/04/cbs.reagans.ap/index.html

eg8r
11-04-2003, 02:22 PM
LOL, I was surprised to see you reply Sid. Most of the time you ignore request for real data. I think you mis-understood my request. I was asking for the backup data, not another source giving a similar quote as you did. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I did not see where CNN gave some of the controversial backup.

Oh yeah, you forgot to add the last part of your quote... <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Section of article that Sid chose to ignore:</font><hr> we believe it does not present a balanced portrayal of the Reagans for CBS and its audience," the network said in a statement. <hr /></blockquote> I guess there is a lot of good the network chose to ignore. Was there an agenda?

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
11-04-2003, 02:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> How'z about CNN in today's news. This text rests just a paragraph or so into it. Y'all discount CNN as an accurate source to reference???sid

<font color="blue">LOL. Well, now that you mention it. </font color>

".... the producers have sources to verify each scene in the script,,,,"

<font color="blue">Whoever said that is a damned liar. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Or maybe that is true now that they cut out several scenes. Like the one where Reagan screamed at Nancy "Shut up G**damn it". They have no verification of that, and Reagan's kids all say he never never never would have done or said that. Shall I continue? </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

cheesemouse
11-04-2003, 05:10 PM
Sid,
I think they will call it 'Preemptive Censorship' in conservative word speak.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qtec
11-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Shows you how much power the Reps have over the press and what is shown on TV.

How you can object to something you have never seen is beyond me.
I dont know where the Reps get the idea that RR is a saint. It can hardly be said that he didnt lie to the world on many occasions and he is responsible for many,many deaths. Not only Iran-Iraq and the Contras but his failure to act over AIDS.

Q

Q

Qtec
11-04-2003, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and Reagan's kids all say he never never never would have done or said that <hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Of course, we must believe them. Why would they lie?

Q

nAz
11-04-2003, 11:17 PM
Sid i have not seen the movie but i will catch it on showtime when they air it soon. and i will let everyone know what is true and whats not as i have grown up in the period of time.

JimS
11-05-2003, 06:58 AM
Well if it is a left-wing smear job then I want to see it. I think it's about time for a left-wing smear job or two....given the right-wing smear jobs tht are the daily fare on talk radio.

eg8r
11-05-2003, 07:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not only Iran-Iraq and the Contras but his failure to act over AIDS.
<hr /></blockquote> I cannot argue with much else you said, but the AIDS bit is one that I will...Where in our Constitution or Laws does it say the President or Federal government should intervene and take care of personal sicknesses of the people, especially in an astronomically high percentage of those people brought it on themselves. If we have a huge flu season this year, should the government step in and demand flu shots are free for all?

Come on, the majority of the people with AIDS have gotten it either from sex or misuse of drug paraphenalia (sp?). Sure there is a percentage of people getting AIDS through hospitals and alike, but that is not the Federal Governments job to fix. It also is not the burden of Americans to have to pay for drug companies to come up with remedies. This is a capitalist society, and drug companies can come up with solutions themselves, and charge what they want for it. If you are stupid enough to have sex with an infected person, or stupid enough to share needles with an infected person than I am sorry that is your fault. WHERE IS THE SELF-RESPONSIBILITY IN AMERICA. Sure some will complain that they did not know the person was infected, but I ask you, have you been sleeping around with every guy/girl you meet? There are also husbands/wives that get it from a cheating spouse. I feel sorry for them but it is not the Federal Governments job to solve that problem for that person.

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
11-05-2003, 07:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>

..If you are stupid enough to have sex with an infected person, or stupid enough to share needles with an infected person than I am sorry that is your fault. WHERE IS THE SELF-RESPONSIBILITY IN AMERICA. ...<hr /></blockquote>

Why, you mean-spirited right-winger you /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Don't you know it was Reagan's job to go into the Wash DC ghetto and pass out rubbers? LOL

Wally_in_Cincy
11-05-2003, 07:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> Sid,
I think they will call it 'Preemptive Censorship' in conservative word speak.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

No. Censorship comes from the government.

This was the free market voting with their <font color="green">green $$$$$$$$$ </font color>

If nobody watches a TV show and it's cancelled, is that censorship?

Wally_in_Cincy
11-05-2003, 07:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Shows you how much power the Reps have over the press and what is shown on TV.

<font color="blue">LOL. Thanks. That's the funniest thing I've heard this week. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

How you can object to something you have never seen is beyond me.

<font color="blue">I have heard about 10 minutes of the soundtrack. I was mortified by it. Lies, lies, and more lies. </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Gayle in MD
11-06-2003, 12:07 AM
My friend, you are leaving out a huge portion of those poor people who suffer from this horrible illness, and that is the thousands of innocent children born every day, all over the world, with aids. The fight against such plagues must be a world wide effort, and America must always hold high the mantle of leadership and hunamitarrianism in that quest.

Gayle in Md.

cheesemouse
11-06-2003, 06:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> My friend, you are leaving out a huge portion of those poor people who suffer from this horrible illness, and that is the thousands of innocent children born every day, all over the world, with aids. The fight against such plagues must be a world wide effort, and America must always hold high the mantle of leadership and hunamitarrianism in that quest.

Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>

Out of the blue the voice of reason...thank you Gayle

eg8r
11-06-2003, 06:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My friend, you are leaving out a huge portion of those poor people who suffer from this horrible illness, and that is the thousands of innocent children born every day, all over the world, with aids. The fight against such plagues must be a world wide effort, and America must always hold high the mantle of leadership and hunamitarrianism in that quest. <hr /></blockquote> You are right, and I think it is our duty as people, friends, relatives, humans to help, but in no way do I feel it is a requirement of government. If our own country is having problems, then solve the problem on the homefront first.

eg8r

Qtec
11-06-2003, 08:51 AM
The Govt has nothing to do with puplic health?
The Govt has nothing to do with controlling an epidemic?

Q?

eg8r
11-06-2003, 08:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Govt has nothing to do with puplic health?
The Govt has nothing to do with controlling an epidemic? <hr /></blockquote> Q, I am beginning to think you just have no desire to comprehend what I write, or you just have always had a reading comprehension problem. I never said the government had "nothing" to do with it. Go back and read, if you don't understand what I said, then ask me to clarify but to put words in my mouth (so to speak) is getting old.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
11-06-2003, 11:10 AM
You are most welcome, and thank you to you also.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Love,
Gayle

Gayle in MD
11-06-2003, 11:28 AM
Dear Eg8r,
You often speak of Corporations and Governments as though they are some kind of isolated entities from cyberspace that have nothing to do with PEOPLE. PALEEEZE, such entities are PEOPLE. Have you ever heard of "Of The People, By The People, and For The People"

There will never be a time when there are "No problems"...Honestly, sometimes your way of looking of things is downright selfish and barren of compassion. What do you think we should do, pass around a hat, and mail the money to who knows where?

In order the succeed in any effort to help others, there must be organization, leadership and sacrifice. For heavens sake, we are the richest people in the world. If we don't give a damn about those issues which plague the world, don't you realize that eventually it will have an impact on ALL of us, even you and yours?

There were problems back when we decided to stop Hitler, too, thank God you weren't running our country then.

Ever heard of Brotherhood?

Be Love,
Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

eg8r
11-06-2003, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You often speak of Corporations and Governments as though they are some kind of isolated entities from cyberspace that have nothing to do with PEOPLE. <hr /></blockquote> Well since you bring it up, have you ever seen the "Corporation" playing pool? Or the government? Nope, maybe the people that work for them, but not the entity itself. I do seperate the corporation and government from its people because they are held accountable seperately. When an employee goes in an shoots his colleagues, the corporation is not put in jail. When I filed my corporation papers with the state of Florida, I was not registering myself with the state. They are seperate to a degree like it or not.

[ QUOTE ]
PALEEEZE, such entities are PEOPLE. <hr /></blockquote> LOL, I like to use Puhleeze. Back to the quote...I disagree, people are a part of the sum, not the other way around.

[ QUOTE ]
There will never be a time when there are "No problems"...Honestly, sometimes your way of looking of things is downright selfish and barren of compassion. What do you think we should do, pass around a hat, and mail the money to who knows where?
<hr /></blockquote> I think you misunderstood what I meant and that is why you are labeling me. When I was referring to our problems, I was talking about the AIDS issue. Not any problems in general (so I will disregard your rant on Hitler). As far as AIDS. We have people here in America with AIDS, why does it make sense to send $10 billion to Africa (what Bush has done) when that money could be spent here with American companies to help Americans first. God knows we have enough people with AIDS here that we don't need to help the rest of the world first.

I do realize that these problems might affect my family, that is why, I would rather the money be spent here to help us first. Back again to the AIDS issue, I think Bush could have spent that money more wisely here in the US instead of sending it to Africa.

[ QUOTE ]
Ever heard of Brotherhood? <hr /></blockquote> Is that some cult? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I would like to help the local brethren first.

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
11-06-2003, 01:12 PM
The problem of AIDS in Africa is mainly due to ignorance.

They screw like rabbits. What do you think is going to happen?

And in some places there is a belief that a man with AIDS will be cured if he screws a virgin.

Notice I didn't say stupidity, I said ignorance.

Let's watch our $10 billion go down a rathole.

Wally~~pessimistic about this whole thing.

Gayle in MD
11-06-2003, 10:01 PM
LOL, yes Eg8r, they (People) are part of the sum, just the thinking, acting, determining part.

BTW AND FYI, I don't rant...You read ranting into my writing, out of your own EMOTIOMAL reaction to a different opinion. LOL... Well, you use the EMOTIOM thing for you own damn arguments LMAO....

Oh, so you want to help the Local Brethren...buy American made products...LOL

Be Love,
Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
ps. I know caps are suppose to mean shouting, but when I use them it is only as an accent...would never rant over a difference of opinion...Sorry you misunderstood me.....

eg8r
11-07-2003, 06:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW AND FYI, I don't rant...You read ranting into my writing, <hr /></blockquote> Yup. I sure did. I also read into your writing that you were not understanding me either. I was talking only about AIDS and for some reason you decided to bring up Hitler. LOL, your writing about emotion cracks me up. Am I the only one of us two that you perceive to be using emotion?

I do buy American products first...heck I even drive an American piece of crap car.

There is no reason for you to be sorry if I misunderstood you, unless you feel you did something to confuse me. I don't think you did, and I did not misunderstand anything. I was speaking of AIDS. In your sentence to thank me for not being President you brought up Hitler. I considered that a rant. At the very least you were straying from the subject matter. Go back and read my post and you will see that I was referring to AIDS and solving THAT problem on the homefront first. I believe you might have been the one misunderstanding. I could be wrong, but in this case it is not a big deal.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
11-07-2003, 07:55 AM
My dear friend,
My analogy about Hitler was supposed to refer to the flavor of your post in general. But, here I will make the effort to further explain. As I stated previously, you often seem to be saying "To hell with the people on the other side of the world. We have our own problems here in the U.S, so let us use our government to solve them first, and let us not use our government in compassionate endeavors such as helping those suffering from aids in another part of the world.

I understood the flavor of your post perfectly. My response was directed to your overall lack of compassion.

Also, I was attempting to illustrate that had we had that attitude, (Your attitude) back when Hitler was irradicating the entire Jewish population, as in "Let us use our government to solve our problems here first" that there would have never been an end to his persecution, and many more would have parrished due to his murderous, evil behavour.

There will never be a time when we don't have problems here, and there never has been such a time. Therefore, when there is a plague or extrodinary injustice of some kind in another part of the world, according to your words, we should just ignore it unless we have solved ALL the problems we have here first.

Obviously, I don't agree with that, and my feelings are that we must realize that our world is a very small place, and that it is always easier to close our eyes to our responsibilities as the richest nation of the world, and blame others for their predicaments, or we can try as Americans, to help whenever and wherever possible. Without the use of government time and money and organization, how must mankind effectivly attack such horrendous conditions as plagues, and maniacs, and other suffering of mankind.

One may walk through this world of ours as a medic, or a courageous warrior, and still do some good. But to walk through the world as a judge, finding fault, eyes closed to the sufferings of others, and with an attitude of ME ME ME, has never, in my mind, been what our country has stood for.

I trust we now understand one another. There has never been a time that I know of when I have been unable to read and comprehend the English language, except before three years of age, when I learned to read.

Also, misunderstandings and differences of opinion, are never a big deal to me, friend.

Your friend,
Gayle in Md....Be Love /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
11-07-2003, 08:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I understood the flavor of your post perfectly. My response was directed to your overall lack of compassion. <hr /></blockquote> I am sorry to let you know, I did not read any further than this quote. It says enough. In my attempt to discuss one topic, you have taken that to be my general outlook on everything. It does not work that way. I am speaking about one topic, so keep with the topic. If you choose to branch off to all subjects not included then clarify yourself. What you are doing I believe is wrong. If I said I don't care about people who have died of lung cancer after having smoked for 50 years...Following your logic, you would state that I don't care for anyone that has died because of lung cancer. I am sorry but that is wrong. If you find comfort in doing this fine. I was referring to AIDS and that is it. If you feel my outlook on that one subject signifies my outlook on everything, then you might want to take a second look.

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
11-07-2003, 08:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr>
...Also, I was attempting to illustrate that had we had that attitude, (Your attitude) back when Hitler was irradicating the entire Jewish population, as in "Let us use our government to solve our problems here first" that there would have never been an end to his persecution, and many more would have parrished due to his murderous, evil behavour. ...<hr /></blockquote>

Actually there was a whole bunch of people back then, probably a majority, who didn't want to get involved in that.

Believe it or not, after Pearl Harbor, there were many influential people who did not want a war with Japan. They blamed the attack on a "rogue commander" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Gayle in MD
11-07-2003, 08:14 AM
Dear eg8tr,
I was referring to the aids subject, and also the general flavor of your posts, which I have been reading for atleast two years, I think.

You seem to be saying in this last post,
"I've already made up my mind, don't confuse me with the facts" as in you have already made up your mind about the flavor of my post to you, and therefore you did not continue to read it. Guess I'm just too much for you to handle, LOL.

And here I thought that you, like myself, enjoyed a vigorous, friendly debate.

Have a nice day friend...

Be Love,
Gayle IN Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
11-07-2003, 08:16 AM
eg8r is a typical Republican. He wants to starve children and take old folks' medicine away so he can buy a bigger yacht LOL

eg8r
11-07-2003, 09:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Guess I'm just too much for you to handle, LOL.
<hr /></blockquote> LOL, probably are. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
And here I thought that you, like myself, enjoyed a vigorous, friendly debate.
<hr /></blockquote> I did not think we were debating any more. It sort of sounded like I was defending myself. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
"I've already made up my mind, don't confuse me with the facts" <hr /></blockquote> In your post, prior to my last one...What part contained the facts? Since we are branching from the original topic, I will bite. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif You are happy our past adminstrations did not think like you perceive I do. Otherwise, Hitler might have continued. You state, the US just wanted to fix the things locally. Well, the US did not enter the war primarily becuase of what Hitler was doing, rather because we were bombed by Japan (the last straw sort of thing). Just as Bush has done with Ashcanistan. It came on our soil and we reacted.

Back to the original subject (of this branch of the thread /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )...I have not seen a good reason for fighting AIDS in Africa over fighting AIDS in the US. I have never said we should not help other countries with their problems, but the focus should be fighting the problems here, and being a helping hand to assist the other governments in dealing with their problems (not going in and fixing their problems for them and then handing the country back to the government). I would much rather seen $10 billion go to the fight for AIDS in America. What have the African governments been doing to help AIDS in America directly? I am sure they have been giving whatever funds they have to help fight the disease in their country and in the future, those findings will help out here...All I am suggesting is we do the same. Spend the money in our own country and when we find the cure, offer it to the world.

eg8r

eg8r
11-07-2003, 09:03 AM
LOL. That surely is not me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I want to be able to go to work, earn a fair wage, and keep the money that I have earned. At that point, I would like to spend it as I see fit. When I die, I want my money to be distributed as I would like, including none of the money going to the government. They have already proven they do not spend and save as wisely as I would like. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
11-07-2003, 09:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> ....I want to be able to go to work, earn a fair wage, and keep the money that I have earned. At that point, I would like to spend it as I see fit.....<hr /></blockquote>

Well, like Clinton said, you might not spend it on "the right things" LOL

Wally_in_Cincy
11-07-2003, 01:30 PM
A New York Times editorial on Wednesday accused Reagan supporters of creating a “Soviet-style chill.” The Times, with a sudden concern for communist-like oppression, whined: “His supporters credit him with forcing down the Iron Curtain, so it is odd that some of them have helped create the Soviet-style chill embedded in the idea that we, as a nation, will not allow critical portrayals of one of our own recent leaders.” For the full editorial: www.nytimes.com (http://www.nytimes.com)

“Gutless CBS” read the headline over an online piece by Newsweek’s Jonathan Alter who complained: “It's a big victory for the <font color="red">'Elephant Echo Chamber</font color> ,’ the unholy trinity of conservative talk radio, conservative Internet sites and the Republican National Committee.”

-----------------------------------

Elephant echo chamber? LOL

Is this a new buzz-word from the left? I predict it will not grow "legs" no matter how many times they say it.

Qtec
11-07-2003, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Elephant echo chamber <hr /></blockquote>

Souds exactly right to me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q