PDA

View Full Version : Democrats Call for Boycott of American Products

eg8r
11-04-2003, 02:35 PM
Alright, before I go any further, let me state that I don't know how true this article (http://www.scrappleface.com/MT/archives/001310.html) is. I find it hard to believe that the Dems would put themselves ahead of the good of America (sarcasm).

Anyways, here it is... [ QUOTE ]
2003-11-02) -- Faced with the unexpected prospect of running against George Bush during an economic recovery, the Democrat National Committee (DNC) today called on Americans to boycott American products and services.

"If consumers continue to spend money and business owners continue to ramp up production," said DNC Chairman Terry McAuliffe, "then there's nothing to stop a second Bush term. And we all know how bad that would be for the economy. The only way to save this economy is to boycott American products and services so we can elect a Democrat to the White House."

The DNC said it will devote about $100 million to the boycott campaign, using consultants and talent from other countries as much as possible.

"Most of our ad dollars will go to NBC, by virtue of its merger with Vivendi, the French company,"" said Mr. McAuliffe. "We regret that some Americans will benefit from our 'Boycott America' campaign, but with this global economy it's really hard to completely avoid financing the Bush economic recovery."
<hr /></blockquote> At least some Dems are accepting that the economy is recovering and Bush is leading the way with his tax cuts. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The second paragraph is the funniest/scariest. The only way to save the American economy is to absolutely flush it down the toilet and boycott American products. This way all these Americans will lose their jobs, dive into poverty and will need Welfare to help feed their children. Well who better to be in government when the people need to government to survive? LOL. This is very scary if it is true .

eg8r &lt;~~~This is satire at it's best I am sure Naz would be proud.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-04-2003, 02:55 PM
I'm sure it's a spoof, but the sad thing is the Dems would give their left gonad to be able to sabotage the economy right now (real compassionate , looking out for the "little guy"). Fortunately they can't.

dg-in-centralpa
11-04-2003, 09:26 PM
I hope this is fake. If not, what would Q-tec have to say since he hates the ground that Bush walks on.

DG - would love to see Q's response

Qtec
11-04-2003, 09:59 PM
its fake,but this isnt.

"The European Union (EU)has said it will press ahead with plans to retaliate against US tariffs on steel imports if the World Trade Organisation (WTO) rules in its favour next week.
EU trade commissioner Pascal Lamy said punitive tariffs on a range of US imports could be in place by the middle of next month in the event of a favourable ruling.

"If the US does not move, retaliation is a racing certainty in mid-December," he said.

The WTO is due on Monday to deliver its verdict on an appeal against its original ruling that the US steel tariffs breach international trade rules.

President George W. Bush's government imposed tariffs of up to 30% on steel imports in January last year in an effort to protect domestic producers from tough foreign competition

The EU has drawn up a hit list of US imports worth about $2.2bn a year which will targeted with retaliatory sanctions.

Backlash

The list, which includes Harley Davidson motorcycles, citrus fruits, and textile products, is said to have been calculated so as to hit regions which support President Bush's Republican party hardest.

Mr Lamy added that the EU would impose tariffs on a further $4bn worth of US imports if Washington did not repeal tax breaks for exporters which have also been declared illegal by the WTO."

GW talks free trade, but doesnt practice it.

He is so desperate that he wants a weaker $ to help exports!

Q

Wally_in_Cincy
11-05-2003, 07:13 AM
There are very few integrated steel mills left in this country. One of the biggest is just up the road from me, AK Steel, in Middletown (Middletucky).

Bush's imposition of the tariffs was blasted by the free-trade-at-all-costs crowd. But the fact is, for national security reasons, we just can't let all our steel mills go out of business.

I think Ralph S works in a steel mill IIRC. He might have an opinion on this.

eg8r
11-05-2003, 07:21 AM
It was fake (I added that at the bottom of my post (well I said satire).

However as to Q's legendary effort to stray from a topic...Go ahead and tax the crap out of Harleys. If we stop shipping them out, there will be seriously pissed off Europeans.

eg8r

Qtec
11-05-2003, 08:58 AM
Wally,
"But the fact is, for national security reasons,[ HaHaHaHaHaha] we just can't let all our steel mills go out of business."

No, but you have to become viable.

You talk about free trade, market forces and equal opportunities, etc etc. ,but when it comes down to GW paying back his backers you are suddenly for restrictive/ Govt interference because of NT. What a joke!

Q

Wally_in_Cincy
11-05-2003, 09:12 AM
I din't say I was for it. It's a situation that has no easy answer.