PDA

View Full Version : What do you say?

bluewolf
11-05-2003, 10:36 AM
What do you say (as a person with short experience in pool) when you are shooting at the pool hall, someone asks you to teach them and you know you are not qualified? This happened to me yesterday. I kept telling this girl I was not a qualified instructor. There is nothing that I have that I did not receive from scott, randy , fl,ray or other folks here. I have not shot my million balls yet by a long shot so in my mind I am not qualified to teach pool by any stretch.

I think that she had been watching me and saw that most of my shots were going in so thought I was something better than I really am.

She took a break so that she could play with me. This was very unconfortable since I have so little to show a person, brand new or otherwise. I finally did try to show her how to make a rudimentary bridge and how to see the middle of the cb with the chalk method (something scott taught me) but this was very tiring because I am not an instructor.This was just 30 minutes of torture for me.

There was no money involved, still, it was very exhausting and do not know what to say next time I see her, because I go to the same place every week and she works there.

What would you do if you were in my position? If I was an sl7 or something I would not feel so bad, but I am not so this was like something I really did not want to do. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Laura

Kato
11-05-2003, 10:43 AM
Laura, offer to help where you can and if something is outside of your knowledge or comfort zone then decline. Maybe you can offer to play with her and if you do something she'd like to know then you can answer that. It's probably not a great idea for you (or me) to be a teacher considering we're not qualified.

Kato~~~qualified----less /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

bluewolf
11-05-2003, 10:55 AM
Thanks kato. I was just there to practice, so that I can improve at pool. I used to go into people's homes and teach them how to use their computer, set it up for them etc, and that I liked.

I am just trying to get better at pool myself. That is why I go to the poolhall. This poolhall is very convenient. It is 5 minutes from my house, they redid all the tables so they are really in great shape and they have this deal that as long as you buy lunch, you get to play free from 11-5.

The other part is that there are things I do that are unorthodox:no aiming system even in banks, go on feel, my stance is unorthodox, and a few others things. I switch hands, use all kinds of differnt brigdes depending on what I am trying to do. I guess after learning from all of the instruction that I got, i developed my own style.All that I do is based on what works for me (at least for now) , only the stroke and the regular closed bridge is like what I was taught.

I would not want somebody to try to copy me and get all mixed up when they would be better off learning with someone, like ray, who does things more the regular way.

Maybe next time I could make her an appointment with ww and he would give her so many details that she would never bother me again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

Wally_in_Cincy
11-05-2003, 11:36 AM
Give her Fast Larry's phone #

She'll never want to play pool again

Ralph S.
11-05-2003, 11:55 AM
LMAO at Wally. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Fred Agnir
11-05-2003, 12:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> The other part is that there are things I do that are unorthodox:no aiming system even in banks, go on feel, my stance is unorthodox, and a few others things. I switch hands, use all kinds of differnt brigdes depending on what I am trying to do. <hr /></blockquote>What part of this is unorthodox?

Fred

UWPoolGod
11-05-2003, 12:37 PM
I don't think that only being a sl-7 or instructor would be a basis for being able to teach someone something about pool that they don't know. Any advice...like a proper bridge, or blue-chalk-center-ball-thingy...is something that they didn't know before.

As for myself, I give a few pointers here and there to people, but for the most part it is only to people who are decent shooters or have potential to be. You can tell when someone is not going to get good at something...no matter what type of passion the have for the sport. So I tend to stay away from them. If someone comes up asking questions I'll usually answer them...or advice on a shot, no problem...but not going out of my way to teach someone. It took me long hours of banging away, reading books, watching videos. Everyone wants to be god right away..but that's not in the cards.

Cueless Joey
11-05-2003, 12:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> The other part is that there are things I do that are unorthodox:no aiming system even in banks, go on feel, my stance is unorthodox, and a few others things. I switch hands, use all kinds of differnt brigdes depending on what I am trying to do. <hr /></blockquote>What part of this is unorthodox?

Fred <hr /></blockquote>
She does these shooting behind the back ala Bustamante. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tateuts
11-05-2003, 01:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> Any advice...like a proper bridge, or blue-chalk-center-ball-thingy...is something that they didn't know before. <hr /></blockquote>

Geez, after 35 years now you tell me. All my game was missing was the blue-chalk-center-ball-thingy!!!!

Chris

Kato
11-05-2003, 01:09 PM
I need somebody to teach me this method. Darn that Scott Lee /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif I'm going to get some free lessons now /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Of course he'll probably tell me it's not his fault that I didn't ask the question /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif At which time I'll tell him that he is the experienced one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kato~~~wants to play pool all day for a sandwich /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

ChrisW
11-05-2003, 01:32 PM
It sounds like you are stressing WAY too much about this.
Unless this person is looking for a "pool mentor" there is no reason you should work with her. You have already listed a bunch of things that you feel you do differently, so simply tell her how you do it and explain that there are many different way to do it. Then let her find out how she likes to do it.
The only down side I can come up with is creating bad habits as a foundation. But I am willing to bet that you can pass on some good and sound fundamentals that have been taught to you (whether you use them or not).

Don't be so hard on your self, maybe you can learn a few things from her as well.

Good Luck,
Chris

bluewolf
11-05-2003, 07:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> What part of this is unorthodox?

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

I guess I just went with what was natural and what seemed to work not knowing if it is acceptable way to shoot, etc.

Laura