PDA

View Full Version : What is a decent cue for $200 to $300

Johnny_batters
11-05-2003, 12:31 PM
What is a decent cue for around $200 to $300? I was thinking about a Meucci but from what I read here they're no good.

Also, this is my first post in this forum and I just want to say hey. HEY!

JB

eg8r
11-05-2003, 12:37 PM
There are a ton of cues out there in your price range. Go around and shoot with them. There are people here who hate Meucci and those that like Meucci, it all still does not matter to you at all, until you go shoot with one and make a decision yourself.

This has been discussed quite a lot in the past, try the search and see what you get. I am sure in everyone of them, there was probably someone that recommended the person to just go shoot with a bunch and find the one they like.

eg8r

pooljunkie73
11-05-2003, 12:39 PM
Lucasi.

Kent Mc.

Rich R.
11-05-2003, 12:48 PM
Lucasi is an excellent cue, available within that price range, I believe. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Cueless Joey
11-05-2003, 12:52 PM
Get a Black Heart sneaky or plane jane for a few more.

Kato
11-05-2003, 01:11 PM
Blackheart, sweet cue. If you're determined to stay in that price range I'd say Helmstetter or Mali.

Kato

Fred Agnir
11-05-2003, 01:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Johnny_batters:</font><hr> What is a decent cue for around $200 to $300? I was thinking about a Meucci but from what I read here they're no good.

Also, this is my first post in this forum and I just want to say hey. HEY!

JB <hr /></blockquote> JOSS Ltd. (Dan Janes) from Billiard Warehouse (http://billiardwarehouse.com/cues/joss/joss_pool_cues.htm)

Fred

tateuts
11-05-2003, 01:19 PM
You don't have to buy a Chinese import in this price range.

They've been selling a lot of new Joss sticks for less on E-Bay. Joss is good if you like a wider, stiffer shaft.

If you like a softer shaft, and a coated linen or no-linen feel, the Meucci's are fine. A lot of really nice Meucci's are going for $200 or so.

McDermott's and Vikings are among the best playing cues in this price range. Pechauer, if you can get them for that price, play really well also.

I believe in buying a cue from an American maker. These companies offer replacement shafts and full-on repair departments.

Chris

Wally_in_Cincy
11-05-2003, 01:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr>
I believe in buying a cue from an American maker. These companies offer replacement shafts and full-on repair departments.

Chris <hr /></blockquote>

Buy American

McDermott or Viking. Good cues, reasonable prices, American made.

UTAddb
11-05-2003, 01:59 PM
There are many Vikings in that range. I've had my viking for awhile and love it and it is worth around $265.

Iowashark
11-05-2003, 02:14 PM
Echo

McDermott and Viking are my favorites in that price range.
If you like a stiffer shaft go with McDermott, but if you like a more 'active' shaft go with Viking. And if you like an extremely 'active' shaft go with Meucci, but you'll have to read some of the posts on how to compensate for deflection.

Fred Agnir
11-05-2003, 02:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Iowashark:</font><hr> Echo

McDermott and Viking are my favorites in that price range.
If you like a stiffer shaft go with McDermott, but if you like a more 'active' shaft go with Viking. And if you like an extremely 'active' shaft go with Meucci, but you'll have to read some of the posts on how to compensate for deflection. <hr /></blockquote> Compensate for deflection of the McDermott and Viking, right?

Fred

Iowashark
11-05-2003, 02:28 PM
I own both a McDermott and a Viking and the deflection on the Viking is a little more than the McDermott. (and yes Fred, I caught the sarcasm in your post) I have owned a Meucci(not for long) and that was far more than I could compensate for. The Viking gives me more action that the McDermott, but I don't really play with the McDermott enough to learn the feel of it.

Dave~~~probably about time for a Blackheart

Johnny_batters
11-05-2003, 03:10 PM
I just check out their cues and they look damn good for the price. But I've been out of the game for twenty-years and I never seen one of those uniloc joints. How does it work with no threads?

Johnny_batters
11-05-2003, 03:14 PM
I was thinking about getting this one. Has anyone here every bought anything from the Billiard wharehouse? Is it a good place to buy from? Thanks.

http://billiardwarehouse.com/cues/lucasi/lucasi_le16.htm

pooltchr
11-05-2003, 03:33 PM
The unilock joint has threads, you just can't see them. I have had one for about 3 years and it works fine, still stays tight for me all night long.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-06-2003, 07:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Johnny_batters:</font><hr> I was thinking about getting this one. Has anyone here every bought anything from the Billiard wharehouse?

<font color="red">Yes </font color>

Is it a good place to buy from?

<font color="red">Yes </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

or try www.hawleys.com (http://www.hawleys.com)

ceebee
11-06-2003, 09:59 AM
you can get a very nice Custom Cue from John Parker @ Auerbach Custom Cues in Tulsa OK, for your $300. Send me a private email, with your email address &amp; we can talk. You can call John Parker at 918-610-8016 or email him at poolqmakr@geotec.net. John Parker makes beautiful Cues &amp; they can be seen on eBay under Auerbach Cue

Fran Airam
11-06-2003, 10:28 AM
McDermott

Scott Lee
11-07-2003, 10:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> You don't have to buy a Chinese import in this price range.

They've been selling a lot of new Joss sticks for less on E-Bay. Joss is good if you like a wider, stiffer shaft.

Chris <hr /></blockquote>

Chris...FYI, Dan Janes was one of the first "American" cuemakers to strike a deal with the Chinese production facilities, to produce his lower end cues (even the $300-$500 ones!)...this was a few years ago! His shop only makes the high end cues themselves. Any of the Joss cues you see in Mueller, and other catalog stores, etc., are mostly made in China, and imported by him. BTW, I don't think badly about Dan for doing this. It was a smart business decision, and many other cuemakers (including the companies mentioned) have followed suit!

Scott

Scott Lee
11-07-2003, 10:12 AM
I agree...Blackheart is an excellent cue! You get custom specs, quality American workmanship, excellent service, and affordable pricing!

Scott Lee

Johnny_batters
11-07-2003, 10:39 AM
Thanks but no thanks. I won't buy a cue from an individual. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif I don't trust any one person with my money. I still want a meucci but the horror stories are getting longer. I saw a few cues from Action Elite, Lugasi, Schon, and Falcon. The more I keep looking the more I'm getting excited for someone in the $500 range. And if I keep waiting the price will go higher. And i don't want to cut into my laptop money.

Also, does anyone here know about Champion cues? any good, worth the price? Thanks.

http://www.billiardstore.com/champion/champion.htm