Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: buying a pool table

buying a pool table

i wanna buy a pool table and i dont really have a clue as to what makes a good pool table and what doesnt. so could someone tell me what to look for when buying a pool table..im looking to spend as lil money as possible .. but its not like i want a walmart pool table for 400$... im thinkin of spending about 1200$... thanks

Re: buying a pool table

There are many things which you should look for in a pool table. The most important is to make sure that it meets BCA specifications, www.bca-pool.com . After that you are looking for quality construction and materials. There is a complete buyer's guide at www.prolinebilliards.com that can be used to evaluate any manufacturer's tables.

I am just moving into my first house with enough room for a table and have been researching as well. Using the search feature on this forum I found tons of advice and links. I decided to go new in the upper 2k to maybe 3k range and am deciding between an olhausen and a connelly, leaning to connelly. From what I've learned in the past couple weeks, if I had to stay in the 1200 ish range I would probably look more into a used table, you lose the 'choice' of customization you get new and will probably want to hire a professional to deliver and install it but you will get a much better table. There were a couple of awesome used tables in my area in that range.
    I'll start respecting your opinion when you stop making sh*t up.

where would i find a used table

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Noel:</font><hr> where would i find a used table <hr /></blockquote>

Newspaper, Trading Post, ebay

For a used table you might check with a new table dealer and see if they have trades. Look in the yellow pages and see if there is any one around selling pool stuff of any kind. They may have a link to used tables. Go to the pool hall and ask around. eBay always has some used and lots of new one.....careful!!!!! Not the best idea..the eBay thing. Run an ad in the classifieds that you want to buy a used table. Get a 7' or 8'.
    JimS

"no non-chalantin at the pool table" Frank "Sailor" Stellman

I just ran a query in the salt lake tribune and these were near your price range. I'm sure you would get similar results from most metro area classifieds

POOL TABLE, 8' Olhausen oak Sheraton 1999, Accu-Fast cushions, all access. $1,500. 685-9308.

**NEW 4x8 POOL TABLE** Gorgeous prof. series, solid wood, carved legs, 1" slate. Must see! Cost $4,295 Sell $1,295. 824-7695

POOL TABLE, SOLID OAK SINGLE SLAB, STANDARD, Custom made + accessories. $1,000 obo 733-9870

POOL TABLE, Olhausen Paid $4,000. Asking $2,700. Marlin 548-3262
    I'll start respecting your opinion when you stop making sh*t up.

I am also in Utah and just got into my first home and was looking for a table. If your are in SLC you probably went in to Vina. If not it is worth the drive. There prices were about $500 cheaper than other Connelly dealers in the area. I got the Catalina for $1995. They just got thier first shipment of the 1.25 inch slate and I got the first one. It is a beautiful table and hands down the best deal around.

We are moving and will be selling our lovely Olhausen. It's in great shape and hardly ever used. We have accessories as well. If you are in the Northern California Bay Area it may be a good deal. Much further than that and it's probably going to be cost prohibitive to ship. We would like in the 1,200 range for the table and accessories, so if you are interested in seeing pictures, feel free to email me at ahueckel@comcast.net

Thank you for your posting. I too am looking into buying an inexpensive $1000+ table. Your link to proline helped me understand what to look for.

Thanks!