Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Editing Quotes Tightly: Leave Relevant Parts Only

Editing Quotes Tightly: Leave Relevant Parts Only

In order to encourage civil discussion, it is a good idea not to needlessly annoy and insult other readers, cause them physical and mental stress and contribute to carpel tunnel syndrome and posting rage. To that end, I encourage posters to edit their quotes tightly.

The average reader has no desire to re-read an entire post when the reply is addressing a fractional part of it. Quoting the specific part one is replying to helps the reader focus on the writers point, while quoting the whole post serves to obsfucate the writers point, cause the reader to go into a mental blur, lead to lethargy and dementia, and create a general reduction in the quality of life.

The "whole quote" practice is particularly annoying when the response is directly below the quoted post. Does the writer think the reader has instantly forgetten what they just read a few seconds ago? The usefulness of this practice falls somewhere in between "Tits on a bull" and the "Don't Drink" warning labels on drain cleaner.

Physically, the extra scrolling required to get past this useless text contributes to carpal tunnel syndrome, sending a subliminal message to the reader that the writer not only considers him a doofus, but is trying to physically impair him.

Thank you to those who edit their quotes tightly.

Comments are welcome. Please quote only the relevant parts you are replying to.

TomBk

Re: Editing Quotes Tightly: Leave Relevant Parts Only

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr>
    *snip*... Thank you to those who edit their quotes... tightly. *snip* <hr /></blockquote>

You're welcome [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> The "whole quote" practice is particularly annoying when the response is directly below the quoted post. Does the writer think the reader has instantly forgetten what they just read a few seconds ago? <hr /></blockquote>I, as a partial quoter, certainly agree with this entire post.

However, the response may not be "directly below" the quoted post because the order of the posts differs based on how you view the posts. I've learned that while some use the flat format (which is better), others use the threaded format (heaven knows why)... [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] haha just kidding I also remember that you can view threads with newest on top or newest on bottom.

Consequently, I prefer the quoted posts, even if they're "directly below", because they might not be directly below. It disturbs me when someone replies along the lines of "You're almost right..." or "to add a point..." and I have no idea what they're responding to.

I have noticed what you're referring to, but I tend to prefer quoting too much over no quotes at all.

Nice suggestion, TomBrooklyn.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr>
    others use the threaded format (heaven knows why)... [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

<hr /></blockquote>

Heaven doesn't know why. Why would you say that? They don't know what I'm doing. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    <span style="color: blue">be smooth; better control and power with less effort.</span>

Tom Brooklyn wrote:
    [ QUOTE ]
    <hr /></blockquote>

Ending a sentence in a prepresition (OMG)....
    [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Extra Scrolling is bad for the mouse and finger wheel. Maybe someone will come up with an EYE ball tracker and make a fortune.

Quality versus content?

I like to read it all.. and my mouse wheel really helps.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Ending a sentence in a prepresition (OMG).... [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]<hr /></blockquote>Hi Tom, Is that poor grammar? Is there a name for such an error? I've heard some things about that but am not clear on it. Would this be better? "Please quote only the relevant parts to which you are replying."

Thanks,
    Tom
    (by the way, “prepresition?”, my spell checker nearly seized up.)

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr>(by the way, “prepresition?”, my spell checker nearly seized up.)
    <hr /></blockquote>

Inevitably, when we seek to correct someone's spelling or grammar, we end up making a misteak ourselveses. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Tom Brooklyn wrote:
    &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
    <hr /></blockquote>

Extra Scrolling is bad for the mouse and finger wheel. make a fortune.

I like to read it all.. and my mouse wheel really helps.
    <hr /></blockquote>

OK, I tried deleting out stuff with this quote feature. Also clicked down on the little tumbwheel, now everything floats up and down sloowley and I am seasick. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Re: ending sentences w/ prepositions

I believe that ending a sentence with a preposition is called a "dangling participle". Now, if I could remember what a gerund is. . . .

=======================
    You are what you do when it counts.--The Masao
    heater<span style="color: red">451</span>

Tom B wrote:
    (by the way, “prepresition?”, my spell checker nearly seized up.)
    <hr /></blockquote>

OMG.. .I've been spelling that word wrong for as long as I can remember. PREPOSITION.....

I was about 18 or 19 when I was at Kent State in OH, looking for the book store to purchase a "Kent State" coffee mug, and I stopped a gentleman to ask "Excuse me, sir, would you tell me where the student book store is at?" He look down at me and said very sternly "We don't end our sentences with prepositions!" I was a little stunned, and said "OK, would you tell me where the book store is at [censored]?" He shook his head and pointed to the general direction.