Thread: IP NUMBERS: BOO HISS

IP NUMBERS: BOO HISS

<font color="red">I do not want my ip number posted on a public forum. It is nobody's business other than the administrator's in case they need to take legal and /or isp action or to ban a poster based on their ip.

Persons too who work in a jobs whcih require them to have top secret security clearances, are allowed to post here on their lunchbreak. Because of security considerations, those companies would not want their ip numbers posted publically.

As much as I love ccb, with all of the problems we have had with hackers, viruses and now virus writers are conjoining with spammers to create a bigger mess, publically posting ips just is like leaving your front door unlocked at all times.

Laura
    </font color>

Re: IP NUMBERS: BOO HISS

Feelin' a little hissy today BW? Yea I'm like you about the IPs, I can do without seeing mine as I do post from the job sometimes....sid~~~hiss'n too
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"

There are ways around that problem. Use a http proxy server, that way the IP of the server shows up rather than your own IP. That along with a good firewall like Sygate should be secure enough for most people.

<font color="blue"> I use cable. How am I supposed to have a proxy server? As far as those who post from work, if they do not use a proxy server, do you really think that the company would change the server type just so that their employees can 'play'??? [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Laura
    </font color>

Putting IP addresses on public posts is an unusual step in the world of forum moderation. It's really heavy-handed and not at all a standard measure.

Requiring registration with a valid email address is good. Exposing IP addresses is just inviting trouble.
    ===
    <font color="red"> Bush and Dick in 2004! Just the Way God Intended It! </font color>

IP freely... who knows to care? I am me. Find me. Love me.

i agree it a terrible idea to display them.... my question is why would anybody write code for a forum where the ip shows up? obviously its more work to write in the ip showing up than to not... SOMEBODY wanted them displayed
    nobody plays pool around here...

Its really not hard at all to obtain your ip address. Heck I can do it in a chat room and scare the crap outta people. But yeah it does seem kinda stupid to have your IP address up on your post. I see this was originally posted in 2004 I guess the moderators dont really care what you/we want!
    Shooting Cues
    2 Espiritu's