Thread: Questions to ask when buying a pool table

Questions to ask when buying a pool table

hi, Im looking to buy a top quality table. i was wondering what type of questions i should ask and what answers i should be looking for. ive checked out billiard buyer guides but they dont give me an EXACT idea of what to ask, though they do help. but i still need some actual questions..thanks

Re: Questions to ask when buying a pool table

anyone??

I think a lot of the questions you may have concerning which table to buy, which balls to get, what cloth to get, etc. you can find searching these forums. The biggest question I would ask of the dealer is who installs the table, can I get references or other proof that they know what they're doing and what will they, as a dealer, do about it if you're not happy with the install.
    I'll start respecting your opinion when you stop making sh*t up.

Hmmmmm, this post is like deja vu or something, anybody been to the inside pool forums lately, cut and paste a little. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    " Champions are afraid of losing. Everyone else is afraid of winning."
    -Billie Jean King

is there something wrong with that? 10 opinions is better then 5 [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Well, while most dealers probably have good intentions they are trying to sell a table first and foremost and the bottom line is you gotta know what you want before you walk in the door and tell them "look, this is what I want" go through your pre-made list of things you want and then ask them how much they want for what you describe. If and when you find the table you want, don't let them try and sell you something you don't want. Here are some really good startting points for some top quality tables. Whether or not you choose one of these brands, the sites tell you a lot about table design, build, slate, cushion...

Olhausen Billiards

Brunswick Tables

Imperial

A good site to determine what model you like from a large variety of makers and styles. Danny Veghs

Also, if you're gettin a good table you want to have good felt, you'll have to ask for it and it may be an added cost but see if you can tell them to keep all the crappy ball sets, racks, and cheap cues, and holder and junk (that they will claim is worth some over estimated amount)
    that they'll try and "throw in" and take some Simonis Cloth instead. I like the 760.
    " Champions are afraid of losing. Everyone else is afraid of winning."
    -Billie Jean King