Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Relihan, Perfect tip installation

Jimmy Relihan, Perfect tip installation

I was playing Jimmy Relihan "The Springfield Rifle" at the Albany Golden Cue, after a few games in came "Boston Joey". Jimmy felt he had a better game with Joey and he quit playing me and started playing Joey nineball.

An hour later he came up to the desk, his tip popped off. Did I have a cue he could use? I told him Jim I'll have a tip on your cue in 5 minutes. Do you like Champions I asked?

I got out my hot tip glue gun, prepared the tip with sand paper, cut and x in the base of the tip with my razor knife[this is a secret]. I would cut the glue with the razor knife because only a slice is necessary, the running glue creates a problem.

I cut the excess off with the razor knife, peeled the tip like an apple to form the dime radius. Smoothed the sides with a fine piece of sandpaper, folded with half inch or so of paper to protect the ferrule and in 5 minutes Jimmy was back on the table.

Jimmy was happy with the tip but Boston Joey was sad. Jimmy ended up over one thousand ahead at the end of the night. ####

Re: Jimmy Relihan, Perfect tip installation

My tip came off last night on the cue I use for breaking. I have been wanting to start retipping myself so here is my chance. I have a couple of Q's for you Leonard.
    1. What tip do you recomend for a Break cue (not a real break cue just a spare one used only for breaking)
    2. I don't understand what you mean by "I would cut the glue with the razor knife because only a slice is necessary, the running glue creates a problem." cut the glue?
    3. I don't understand this either "peeled the tip like an apple to form the dime radius." the peeling part I do know what a dime radius is.
    4. I was thinking of buying my tips on line any recomendations?
    Thanks
    anyone else with comments feel free to jump in. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
    Oh I was so much older then....I am younger than that now!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr>
    ...Jimmy ended up over one thousand ahead at the end of the night. #### <hr /></blockquote>

####,

I think you deserved some monetary consideration from this Jimmy fellow. Did he at least buy you dinner? [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hot Glue Tip Installations

Thirty years ago in Memphis there was a brief fad where some guys were using that technique down at the Golden Cue on Winchester and River City Billiards. I've never tried it myself. Are there any caveats or special problems to deal with, and which formulations of hot melt are required? Most hot melts don't have great shear strength, so I'd think a very thin line would be necessary for longevity.

SpiderMan
    "If it's yellow and smells bad, it must be nine-ball. Or a diaper (or a Frenchman)."

I have no recomendation for break tip I just break with my cue.

The glue guns of 40 years ago didn't have a stop, so the glue was hard to control, so I just cut a small slice and put it on the tip. Then used the glue gun to melt it and quickly put it on the ferrule.

After shaving the sides of the tip I would peel the top of the edge of the tip to form the dime radius. It was easier to keep the knife going around the tip to insure a smooth cut. A dime radius is placing a dime over the tip and follow that line. A nickel radius is placing a nickel over the tip and follow that line.

I have no tip preference. ####

Re: Hot Glue Tip Installations

The old glues worked much better than the new glues. The glues were a dark yellow/brown. Todays glues are white in color and don't hold the same as the original glue. In the 40 + years I have used hot melt glue I have never had a tip fall off my cue.

I still have sticks of glue from 40 years ago. I only use it to put tips on my cue. Which last me years.####

Leonard, this is Joe from Springfield, MA (Connecticut Joey) and old friend and pool player. Read some of your stories about Jimmie Relihan, Have you heard anything from him lately? Do you have any idea of where he might be? Haven't heard from Jimmie in over 20 years, he's a Springfield native, used to hang out at Smith's billiards, in Springfield, MA. Sure would like to know what has become of him...if you have any information, please let me know!! Thanks, Joe

Conneticut Joey the last I heard of Jimmy he was in Las Vegas. Toby Sweet has a poolroom there I think. He might have a clue where he is. Someone on the board might have the rooms name.####

That'd be The Cue Club...sid
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"

That's news to me if Toby Sweet has a poolroom in Vegas. I don't think so though im not a friend of his. There is a Toby Fleheraty (SP?) that had a PR there but i dont think he is part of it anymore.