Thread: Break Cue basics

Break Cue basics

Howdy All

My first post - so a brief background. I joned a local pool league (APA) back in March and finished the Spring league a few weeks ago. Had a great time and have learned a bunch - I'm rated at SL 2 and am probably just at the verge of going to a 3 - need to improve my consistency.

Had always just been a slop shooter and bar player - and really enjoy the whole strategy part of pool league.

Now for the question - I've got a modest priced cue I use for playing ( about ~$100) and am considering getting a modest priced break cue. I'm tired of either whacking the ball with my playing cue or hunting down a house stick.

Any general rules for the qualities of a jump/break cue - any reccomendations for a cue in my price range (about$100) ?

I assumed I wanted a heavy cue (at least 21 oz) -- but somewhere on the web I read it should be lighter -- hmmmm I'm confused
    [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    thanks

Re: Break Cue basics

Howdy HD_Slim,

Please wander on over to the Cue Chalk Board with this question. You'll probably get some good answers over there.

(This forum is more for the "How does this forum work" types of issues...)

That lighter is better phylosophy doesn't hold up for me. I bought a breaker @ 18oz(I play with a 19.5), and frankly I break much better with the play cue, or many of several 19-19.5oz cues. I also break well with certain wall cues @ 21oz, so I personally discount the fundamental of it being lighter. jm2c...sid
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"

IMHO, stick with your current cue, until your ability improves and you think you want a new cue. At that point, buy yourself a better playing cue and use your current cue for breaking. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]