Thread: bouncing active posts to the top??! ?

bouncing active posts to the top??! ?

about the time i think i know where most of the stuff on this board is, they change it with that active-up stuff that y'all voted for. (i was elsewhere)

still feel that way??

dan...easily cornfuzzled.

Re: bouncing active posts to the top??! ?

Hey Dan,
    Use Flat mode and collapse the threads and it is very user friendly.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

about the time i think i know where most of the stuff on this board is, they change it with that active-up stuff that y'all voted for....dan

<hr></blockquote>

<font color=blue>Here are some interesting statistics about that vote, dan.</font color=blue>

To date, the thread where that vote took place was viewed 441 times and recieved 21 replies. Currently, that puts it in the top ten viewed and the third highest in replies.[img]/ccboard/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

However, there are only 42 votes; and that includes three votes from one user that I know of.[img]/ccboard/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Many people just don't vote, why do you think that is?

I was reluctant to vote because I had no idea how it would appear and if it was a good idea. Then I voted "no" because it would permit any idiot to keep moving his posts to the top by just adding a reply to them. Now I see it is a great feature and has not been subject to any abuse yet. I do have to think twice about posting to an old thread because it will move to the top and everyone will see that I did it.

Compare this to what you have to do at playpool.com: it might say 11 new posts but you don't see them until you scroll all the way through the 300 messages and look for them. And they don't have the helpful little icons that change color when the posts get old either. That's OK for a low traffic site but would be unwieldy here.

Now they are asking about the flat mode. We can set that as default in our preferences. I think it shows more about the board to have the threaded mode for a first time visitor so I voted "no" but others are voting "yes" because they like "flat". If you like it make it your preference then. Why change the default?

If the Webmaster wants input he should collect ideas not votes. Democracy is tyranny by the majority who usually don't understand the question.