Thread: Is Simonis 860 on an 8' Table Recommended?

Is Simonis 860 on an 8' Table Recommended?

Title says it all... the billiards shop told me to stay with the Mahi rather than the 860 as it would be too fast. I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks.

Re: Is Simonis 860 on an 8' Table Recommended?

Simonis, except no substitutes !!!!!!!!!! [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Favorite Quote "if winnings not important, why keep score" Worf ST:TNG

being that i am a mechanic/installer i have heard this before.there could be many reasons why they told you this and i will not speculate as to why your billiards shop said this to you,but to say its too fast is incorrect.

I have Simonis 860 on my 8' table and it plays great. I wouldn't have any other cloth.

Jim
    "Learn from others mistakes, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself"

860 on my 8'Brunswick plays great. As far as speed, the well worn cloth at the local halls in my hometown are much much faster than my table will ever be. Because i will never let my cloth get that worn.

They recovered the tables at a popular spot I shoot at with simonis and yes it is way to fast for a bar size table the rails play is the worst any spin on the ball when coming off the rails is totally out of control !

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve_C:</font><hr> Title says it all... the billiards shop told me to stay with the Mahi rather than the 860 as it would be too fast. I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks. <hr /></blockquote>All of the places I play at, away from home, have Simonis 860 or something comparable. Therefore, I covered my 8' table at home with 860. I think it plays fine and I have no problems with it.

Why would I want to play on slow cloth at home, when I have to play on 860 away from home? [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Absolutely! If you are only a home player, and your houseguests will be abusing the cloth regularly, get Mali or another cheap cloth. Simonis lasts much longer, but all cloths are equal when it comes to a stick tear. If it will be taken care of and you want to spend your energy letting the physics do the work, get simonis. All of the tournaments I play locally and nationally are on Simonis or similar speed cloth. Have fun!

Carl

Carl Oswald
    BCA Master Instructor
    SPF Family of Instructors
    http://www.billiardstudio.com
    http://www.poolschool.info