Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C.A.T. Tour Will McWorter and Oyama Show Up?

C.A.T. Tour Will McWorter and Oyama Show Up?

Ms. Kelly Oyama and Ms. Jan McWorter received C.A.T. Tour Notices. When HarryDC shows up at Champion Billiards in Laurel Md. on Saturday Morning Feb. 23rd 2002 at 09:30 hrs.
    will he be treated to not only cheering for and taking some photos Dr. D. but seeing maybe what could turn out to one
    of the greatest minor league pool grudge matches of all time? The thought has HarryDC more interested in pool than
    than ever and can Dr. D. win one of the double Invitational spots at the inaugural tournament? Just the thought of it is exciting to contemplate.

HarryDC
    HarryDC

Re: C.A.T. Tour Will McWorter and Oyama Show Up?

Harry, I wouldn't get your hopes up. There would be absolutely no reason for Jan or Kelly to show up for this event. They already have their touring pro status and both rarely ever play in any events other than the Classic tour stops. - Chris in NC

Re: C.A.T. Tour Will McWorter and Oyama Show Up?

Do think board members that except election should be allowed to play I don't. Say when was the last time they were in the top 20 and why should they still have touring pro status. Is there some kind of formula like golf or is it once a touring pro always a touring pro which makes no sense to me as there is no incentive to produce.

HarryDC
    HarryDC

Pro status requirements.

Hi Harry,

In answer to your question about the WPBA's requirements about the "Pro" status, there are 3 different levels.

Pro, Active Pro and Touring Pro.

A player receives their pro status when they place in the top half of a WPBA points event 4 times within a 10 tourment period. They would automatically get their Active Pro status if they had also played in 50% of the last 10 events. They would get their Touring Pro status if they had competed in 80% of the last 10 events.

Once a player reaches the Pro level she has to "maintain" that level with a combination of top-half finishes and participation.

To maintain:

Touring-Pro: 2 top-half finishes and 80% participation.
    Active-Pro: 1 top-half finish and 50% participation.

Hope that helps,

Mike Hurst--

Re: Pro status requirements.

Thanks Mike,

Not as competitive as PGA Golf or World Snooker but at least they have some standards it just seems to me that some ladies are stuck on go.

HarryDC
    HarryDC

Mike, if what you say is accurate (which I'm quite certain of) don't you think it's a very low standard to require only 2 top half finishes out of every 10 tourneys in order for current WPBA pros to keep their touring pro status?

Perhaps this is why so many marginal WPBA players are able to maintain their tour status for so many years with sub-par tournament performances at just about every stop.

Consider that a top half finish (in a 48 or 64 player double elimination event) requires a non-seeded player to win only 2 matches - going 2-2 for the tournament. They have only to accomplish this twice in a period of 10 consecutive events to keep their tour status - what a joke! That's certainly not asking or expecting much of the current tour players in terms of performance in order for them to maintain their eligibility and clog up the tourney fields with sub-standard level play.

What's more, it's a very good chance they can manage to win 2 matches (their first match plus at least one match in the loser's bracket) without ever even having to defeat a top 16 seeded player. Could it be that perhaps this relatively low standard for keeping tour status may be due to the fact that historically a majority of the players making up the board have consisted of these "marginal" unseeded players?

Just something for us to consider as to yet another reason why it is so very hard for young talented players to gain access to spots in Classic tour fields. - Chris in NC

ChrisinNC,
    Come on you guys your popping my bubble about the WPBA. I thought they had it 'going on' and now your giving me all these uncomfortable facts about how they are just another one of the elitist alphabet soup pool outfits who's whole purpose is to protect the inter-circle faction of players. Now I'm all pissed-off cause I thought they would show the men how to do it but it don't sound good does it??

Chris,

The WPBA system is an extremely effective system that can be adjusted by raising the level to 3 or 4 top half finishes at any time. The important factor is that with the new 64 field in place, the WPBA stays under 42 Touring Pros (IMHO). Any more than that and their won't be enough spots for the regional players or the currently ranked tour players. A 2/3 ratio of Touring Pros to the number of players in the field has worked very well.

The better players are rising to the top...it just takes time. It would happen much faster if there were 12 events each year...some day (again).

Raise the bar as is deemed necessary.

The system offers loads of flexibility...I like it!

Mike Hurst--

ChrisNC,

Please, don't drop your support for the WPBA as they are what they are. I hope you don't think that the WPBA Tour
    is anything other than entertainment. It's no different than say the New York Rocketts dance line. If they go on tour. The WPBA is Tri-Fectia Entertainment and you should keep that in mind. If the men would get with it they could have a great tour to. Maybe Charlie Williams can lead them onto the right path.

HarryDC
    HarryDC

Harry, you can rest assured that there's NO CHANCE that I would drop my support or interest in the WPBA. I have too many close friendships I've developed with players both near the top of the rankings, as well as those that are just starting to work their way up the ladder.

My concern and criticism of certain current policies in the WPBA are precisely because I do want to see the tour prosper for the long run - so that all the truly deserving players have an opportunity to make it on this tour - if their performance is worthy of it. - Chris in NC