Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FLYING WITH YOUR CUE?

FLYING WITH YOUR CUE?

I am going to Vegas like thousands of other pool players in May and am most concerned about checking my cue. I understand the airlines will take no responsbility if anything happens. Is there any additional insurance you can buy? I know a few people have managed to carry theirs on. I was thinking of buying the travel case Porper makes.
    Or shipping via fed ex; but I don't trust that either, except you can insure that. I am really worried about it.
    Anyone have any advice or experiance to share?

Re: FLYING WITH YOUR CUE?

I have only traveled once since 9/11. I brought my empty case on board and put my cues in a gun case I have that is very substantial. What is funny is the gun case cost less then $50.00 is very nice and perfect for cues. If it were made by a cuecase builder they would want $150.00 for something like it. There are cases used for archery equipment also that work out well for cues. There are cases for easels that you can get at an art supply that can be used for cues also. Some are very nice with pockets and so on. They cost around $20. If it was called a cuecase it would be $100. Did you see the story about the Olympic skater that could not bring his skates on board and the air line lost them.

No I did not see that, and it is unbelievable. I do understand the need for certain restrictions, I do. But I don't understand the loss of all reason. I also think that the airlines have to be responsible! I have thought about packing my cues in my luggage which I did over the holidays but I only brought along my break cue.
    I will check out the easel cases, sounds interesting. I am concerned the Porper travel case I saw advertised might bring more attention (you can put your entire case in to it and it locks). I see people check golf clubs all the time, I just can't believe they don't have extra insurance you can pay for...?

Cuechick:

Check out the following WebSite for industrial travel cases to place your cuse case in for shipping and/or airline travel. www.skbindustrial.com

Dr. D.

This is just an incredible dilemma!I was thinking of packing my cues in between my clothes and bringing a soft case with me, but then again, when I returned from LA in Nov., my cues arrived with me,but my luggage didnt!I cant imagine the no insurance deal!
    Carol~unbelievable!

Hi Carol,
    I recieved this info in a private message which may help. Also my friend just got back form Hong Kong and had no problem carrying her cue on the plane. I have a feeling if you don't 'bring' it up neither will they? I was thinking of getting the porper case and checking it only if I was asked?
    But this info may help:

I work for an airline. I am told that all airlines have
    the same basic rules for PAYING passengers that check baggage. If you can prove the value of items in your luggage they will award UP TO $2500 if lost or damaged.
    Lets say you have a $10 hair brush that is crushed.. you
    can ask for $10 ... no more than that. Lets say that you
    have a $3000 cue and it was (properly packed) and it gets
    crushed ... you can ask for $2500 ... no more than that.
    This coverage comes with the cost of your ticket.

If you declare that the item is worth more than $2500 (before the flight) you can purchase an additional $2500
    for a total of $5000.
    Please check with the airline that
    you plan on using... Their policy may be different than
    the one I described

It seems to me that if the custom cue makers ship via UPS or FED EX that when and if I travel that's how my cue will travel. Overnight, shipped to me at the hotel where I'm staying with arrangements made at that hotel for the package to be accepted...or something along those lines.

Dr. D, in a post above gave the web address for a place that sells hard cases that will hold a cue case. I checked it out and you can get a good hard case for a couple hundred bucks. Or, just pack your cue case in a free box from the shipping company and send it to yourself. That's got to be the safest and easiest way...imo.

I'm just not ready/willing to trust my cue to the airline luggage handling/wrecking crews. If FED EX is good enough for South West it's good enough for me.

Regards, Jim.
    JimS

"no non-chalantin at the pool table" Frank "Sailor" Stellman

Hi Jim,

I remember reading somewhere (maybe here) of a method of packing a cue for checking like luggage that I thought was a good one, and probably less expensive. Just take your case (with cues) to your local MailBoxes, Etc. type of place and have them wrap it up for shipping before checking it on the plane. Of course, this is if you are going to check the cue rather than ship it separately like you just described.

FYI: The last time I checked, FedEx would pay to replace any object lost or damaged in shipment. UPS, on the other hand, will pay up to $100.00. For any amount greater than $100.00, you must purchase insurance from them if you want to insure your shipment at its full value.

Their insurance guarantees may have changed since I last checked, so you may wish to contact them directly for accurate information.

Steve

I fly home about twice a year from college and have never had a problem carrying my cues on. I don't trust checking them in either.