Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help - does anyone know who made my table?

Help - does anyone know who made my table?

I have a 9 ft table that I am getting ready to sell. However, I dont know a lot about it. Here's what I do know. The table is 3-pc 1" slate w 3/4" plywood backing, has pedestal legs, solid wood frame, ball return system, solid wood rails covered with wood grain laminate, chromed corners with outside top dimensions of 113" x 62.5". Somewhere is stenciled on it are "National Brand: and Table #24766. Based upon my knowledge of ownership I believe the date of manufautre to be around early to mid 1960's. Does anyone know where I can get more information about this table?

Re: Help - does anyone know who made my table?

Sears brand maybe?

For over 40 years National Billiards has been manufacturing a full line of quality tables for snooker, pool, shuffleboard and foosball, as well as distributing a full complement of accessories.

You sound as though you are very familiar with the company. If they have been around 40 yrs this must be one of their earlier tables. I know it started out as a commerical rental at a place called Hamle 30 Bowling Alleys in Pawtucket RI. Are OEM parts still available? What would a comparable table sell for today? I'am quessing around $3000.

Doug, The person who wrote that probably had some familiarity with the company. I simply cut and pasted it verbatim from a web site. I did a search for anything I could find about National and billiard tables. There was a company called the National Billiard Company of Canada. I don't know if your table came from there. All the links to their site are now dead so I would guess they are no longer in business.

The company is linked from several other sites and it might take a bit of effort to find out what has happened to them but the people at those sites might know. I'm sure a moderate amount of effort might turn up someone who knows more about the company and whether your table comes from them. I don't see how it might have got to RI but who knows, maybe there was a local distributor.

Now you know about as much as I do. Your guess as to the present cost of a similar new table from a retailer is probably close. The used table market is tough. You might get anywhere from $300 to $1500 depending on how knowlegable the buyer is. I recently went to RI to look at a used table. I offered $2000 but a nice cue rack was included. I imagine it sold for more like $3000 and was probably worth it but you might find the same thing for $500 if someone wanted to get rid of it.
    Ken

Could you post a picture? Would be fun to use the picture feature for something practical.

National tables are quite common in Canada, I learned to play in a pool hall full of them. They are made by National Billiards of Canada. Their phone number is 1-800-663-7725 and the website is http://www.worldexport.com/nabilliards/ If you get no help from this, a quick google search has revealed another company called National Billiards based in Kentucky and formally of Ohio. The phone number for them is (859)-431-4129, keep in mind that this number is a couple years old so I'm not giving any guarantees. Happy hunting.

Stauber
    -------

I went out and looked in my files and found a brochure for National tables. The company started in 1880 and was still around in 1989. They were located in Cincinnati Ohio. I have a lot of pictures of their tables. If you post a picture maybe I can tell you more. Their top of the line table sold for $1795. in 1989.

Thanks for the info. I found National Billiards at the number you provided. They have moved to Covington KY, just accross the Ohio river from Cini. I talked with a Frank Knapp and he indicated that, based on certain aspects of the table he was pretty sure that it was not one of theirs. Frank mentioned two companys' with National in their names, Canadian & National Shuffleboard, Red Bank,NJ ( out of business @20+ yrs ago)
    I have sent an email to the National Billiards of Canada and currently waiting a response.
    Thanks again for the info, it was very helpful!

Ken
    I accessed National Billiards of Canada web site today and emailed them a billiard@axionet.com currently waiting for a response. Thank for your input.
    Doug RI