Thread: Archives

Archives

My great Grandfather was George Sutton, champ around 1917 and 1918. My Dad just gave me what we think are my grand Fathers pool cues. I would like to hear from anyone that can tell me how I can verify that these are in fact George Sutton’s cues. Waiting to hear.

Re: Archives

I would suggest finding a billiards historian that may have pics of your great-grandfather and see if you can match up any of the cues you have to those in the pics.

Mike Shamos is a historian and writes an article or two in Billiards Digest, maybe you should get in touch with him.

Barbara

formerly Bozeman, MT; now living in Battle Creek, MI

Re: Archives

Victor Stein, author of The Billiard Encyclopedia, would be another source. A third might be Mark & Connie Stellinga. Contact them at www.billiard-antiques.com. If I remember correctly, didn't you bring your grandfather's cue down to Chris' Billiards, in Chicago a couple of years ago? If so, I talked to you, took a look at it, and thought it was really cool! Didn't it have his name engraved on it?

Scott Lee

Armless player?

Was your grandfather George H. Sutton, the armless player? If so, please pm me as I'm doing some research on him. Thanks!

By 1850's, billiards invaded most of the world. The leather cue tip initially designed by Captain Minguard for protection of the cue added a new dimension to the game.